A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

4 posters

Knights of Jaðarr

sienna
    sienna
    Official Site Coder
    This user coded the site!

Female
    Number of posts : 1828
    Registration date : 2012-09-10

Knights of Jaðarr Empty Knights of Jaðarr

Post by sienna 3/16/2013, 10:42 pm

I've decided to start (another) story! It's sort of a PJO fanfiction, but its also somewhat original. Enjoy!
    Notice:Please comment!!! Constructive criticism welcome!

Prologue:

You might’ve heard of Demi-gods and Egyptian Wizards; but deep in the mountain ranges of Scandinavia, lives a town. This town is special; it is watched over by the Gods. These gods are not Greek, Roman, nor Egyptian. These gods are even more forgotten, they are Norse. The gods worshiped by the Vikings. Watched over by the gods, the city is divided into houses, one for each god. There is one thing that is different from all the other decedents of the gods. The kids who attend this camp are not born with the powers, they are chosen. Every year a batch of twelve-year-olds are taken away to the camp by the name of Jaðarr.

More Chapters to come soon!

P.S: The Story will be written in Third-Person Omniscient, where the narrator knows the thoughts and feelings of all of the characters in the story, as opposed to third person limited, which adheres closely to one character's perspective and is used in the Hero's of Olympus series.

Last edited by Sienna on 4/22/2013, 11:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
    sienna
    sienna
    Official Site Coder

Female

Knights of Jaðarr Empty Re: Knights of Jaðarr

Post by sienna 3/17/2013, 12:52 am

Enjoy!

Chapter 1:
    Johanna didn’t know what was happening, she had gone to bed and when she woke up she was in a room made of wood. The room rock back and forth, and figured that she was in some sort of boat. Johanna looked around; she was in a hammock. She tried to quietly slip from the hammock, but instead she fell out hitting the ground with a loud thump. When she stood up she saw that there was someone else in the room. A tall blonde girl wearing a green tunic with green legging and brown cloth shoes looked down at her with a smirk. This girl was Kirsten Eklund, one of the Initiation Guides, she was there to help the new recruits to Jaðarr safely, and was fortunate enough to have no new apprentices die on the arrival. Some of the other guides were not so lucky.
    “God morgon. Hur mår du? Jag heter Kirstin” Kirsten held out her hand for Johanna. Johanna was utterly confused. Kirsten held the clipboard in her hand, which gave the new apprentices information. This one was Johanna Hartford, 12, from Quebec Canada. God mentor: unknown. Kirsten looked the girl up and down; the description on the clipboard matched the girl standing before her: Auburn hair (shoulder length and strait), ivory colored skin, lean stature and around 5 feet. Johanna was still wearing her pajamas; Kirsten would have to get her a set of light blue robes, the common attire for an apprentice. When she was knighted, a year after training, Johanna would get to wear green robes, the same color as Kirsten’s.
    “Who are you? Where am I?” Johanna asked. The cramped room gave the two girls very little room. It was the same size as all of the other cabins with a dark blue hammock made of some thick fabric, a small wooden dresser with an old gas lamp and a small porthole that let through a tiny stream of light through its dusty glass.
    The girl spoke again, “vänta!” she went to the dresser and opened a drawer. She then pulled out a small bracelet and handed it to Johanna.
    “Put it on” She said in very heavily accented English, though she hailed from Sweden, Kirsten know some English. Kirsten had been an Initiation Guide for 5 years, and had been a Knight of Jaðarr for 7, in three years she would retire from Knighthood and become an Elder, instead of fighting she would get to relax all day.
    Johanna slipped the wooden bracelet on and studied it, carved on it were different symbols.
    “Can you understand me now?” The girl asked, her voice was clearer and the accent was much lighter.
    “Yeah.” Johanna responded, “Who are you? And what is this?” Johanna held up her wrist with the bracelet.
    “My name is Kirsten Eklund; I am your Initiation Guide. What I gave you was a hlyða, a bracelet that allows you to understand all languages. Don’t take it off; it will be very helpful in Jaðarr.”
    “Where is Jaðarr?”
    “Jaðarr is our final destination. First we must travel along the river, Fyrsta, we just entered the start of it about an hour ago. Then I must lead you through the forest, Ruan Viðr where we will test your battle skills. Then we will go to the Gate of Jaðarr where we will find out which god summoned you and meet the other Apprentices.”
    Johanna tried to let the information sink in, which was difficult due to the hundred questions nagging at her brain.
    “What do you mean gods? What is Jaðarr?”
    Kirsten smiled; Johanna’s reactions were very much like the other new apprentices reactions.
    “Jaðarr is a town in the mountains of Scandinavia; it is there to keep the giants from getting out of Jotunheim and into the mortal world, or worse, across the rainbow bridge and into the land of the gods.”
    “You mean I’m going to be in an army?” Johanna asked a horrified expression on her face.
    “Not an army. You will be a Knight of Jaðarr, assistant to a Norse god. You see, The Norse gods, Loki or Odin for example, did not die out after all the Vikings died, they survived, this time under the radar. Unlike the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian gods, who moved with western civilization; The Norse gods stayed where they were, trying to keep the monsters of Europe at bay. Unfortunately they could not keep it up, so instead they built Jaðarr where they could employ young warriors to help them. There are eight gods who are the rulers of Jaðarr, each employ their own knights. That means you are a Knight of a God.”
    Johanna nodded, the information was starting to grab hold, “Which god?” she asked.
    “We do not know yet, you will find out when we get to the Gate of Jaðarr. The Eight gods, Odin, Thor, Loki, Freyr, Tyr, Freya, Frigg, and Hel. Every year the gods choose a new knight, one that fits their personality and would be a good representative of their power.” Kirsten pulled out a thin booklet out from her clipboard “Read this.” She said handing it to Johanna “I will go and get your robes and your knapsack.”
    Johanna looked at the cover:
    Knights of Jaðarr: guide to a new apprentice.

Johanna flipped to the first page and read the introduction

Hello New Apprentice! We proudly announce that you have been chosen by a Norse deity to represent them as you protect the universe (Mortal and Magical) from the Giants. You will be transported to the town of Jaðarr, your lodgings for the next ten years. The quest to Jaðarr will be very simple; though you must use caution, the quest will not be simple; you must pass many a task before you are deemed fit to become a true apprentice. At the end of your quest, the Gate of Jaðarr, your Godly Mentor will be determined. After this you will be an official Apprentice. Apprenticeship is the time of learning, after one year of training you will be promoted to a Knight. What happens after Knighthood will be explained at the end of your apprentice ship. Now you must focus on surviving the quest, you Initiation Guide will lead you to the Gate of Jaðarr but they will not protect you, you are to defend yourself and stay alive. This booklet holds all the information that you will need. Good Luck.
    Just so you are aware, your parents are notified after you are magically transported to the boat. You are not allowed to contact them until after your apprenticeship.

Johanna felt weak, everything had happened so fast. What worried her most was that there was a chance that she might not even get to talk to her family again if she didn’t make it to the gates.
    Kirsten came back into the room, holding the light blue apprentice robes and the Knapsack. She gave them to Johanna and left the room.
    Johanna looked at the clothes given to her. There was a light blue tunic, it was made of wool and had a keyhole neckline. When Johanna put it on, it went down to her knees and the sleeves reached her elbows. The Tunic was very baggy, but Johanna found a chorded belt and tied it round her waist. She then put on the leggings, which were surprisingly warm despite the thin fabric. Johanna then put on the leather shoes, and after a while was able to don the leg wrappings. Along with the robes she was left a white cloak with a fur lined hood, and wool mittens. Johanna then took a look inside the leather knapsack that she had been given, in it were: A small knife, a metal cup, plate, utensils, a comb made of bone, elastic hair ties, and other things that were going to help her through the quest.
    Kirsten came back in, and gave Johanna a look of approval. It was not unusual to see a new apprentice end up with their tunic backward, and leg wrappings on wrong. Kirsten then helped Johanna tie her hair into two French braids.
    “Let’s go upstairs and we’ll feed you.” Kirsten said, taking Johanna by the wrist and pulling her out the cabin door. They walked down a long and narrow hallway, passing a few doors. A man walked down the corridor from the way they were going, he gave Kirsten a nod and grinned at Johanna. Then he continued on his way.
    “Who was that?” Johanna questioned, watching the man continue down the corridor.
    “Lucas, one of the sailors. Not only does the boat transport new apprentices, but it also carries supplies to Jaðarr.”
    They came up onto a big archway. It led to a room with a long wooden table lined with benches. The boat gave a lurch, and Johanna staggered, and tried to keep her balance. Kirsten had learned to expect these lurches and had now had no problem with losing her balance. They took a seat at the table, and a boy brought out two bowls of oatmeal.
    The two ate their meal in silence. When they had finished, Kirsten stood up and addressed Johanna “I need to go finish some paper work. You can go back to your cabin.” With that Kirsten left the room and disappeared around a corridor.
    Johanna navigated the hallway, trying to find her room. After a couple wrong turns and dead ends. She finally found her room. Laying down on her hammock she closed her eyes and hoped to wake up in her bed at home. It wasn’t long before she drifted to sleep, the boat’s rocking lulling her into darkness.

Last edited by Sienna on 4/22/2013, 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
    sienna
    sienna
    Official Site Coder

Female

Post by sienna 4/21/2013, 2:05 pm

Okay it's been awhile, but here is chapter 2! Enjoy!

Chapter 2:
    A blonde girl stood above the hammock, muttering something to herself as she shook the sleeping girl. Kirsten was always punctual, always. Though she could tell that Johanna was not that strict about keeping time, “Come on.” She ordered as Johanna rubbed her eyes “We have things to do.” Kirsten turned curtly and walked purposely out of the room, giving Johanna a sense to follow her. Kirsten smiled as she remembered when she was a new apprentice, and always hoping to wake up back home. Though, Kirsten’s favorite memory of was when she was decided by Eir, the goddess of healing. Every Year, only eight god’s get to choose their new Knights, the less popular ones usually get to choose less often. Kirsten was one of the three other knights of Eir. The other two, Alec and Rebecca, were both employed as healers in the town hospital. Kirsten’s power, healing, came in handy many a time when Jaðarr was raided, usually by trolls or elves.
    Kirsten wrinkled her nose at the sight of Johanna: her clothes from the day before wrinkled and her hair coming apart from its braid. Making little attempt to fix her appearance, Johanna lumbered out the cabin door and meeting the look of a displeased Kirsten.
    “You could at least try and look decent.” Kirsten scolded half-jokingly, after all Kirsten was in charge of Johanna and if Johanna failed, Kirsten would be reprimanded. Once again, she turned and continued along the hallway in her proud strut.

Johanna rushed to keep up with Kirsten, seemingly surprised at Kirsten’s transformation from patient to audacious.
    Instead of stopping at Mess Hall, where the sailors were chortling at the sight of another who’s porridge was splattered on the front of his clothes, Kirsten continued on down the hallway, much to the confusion of Johanna.
    Kirsten stopped at a ladder and began to climb it, from what Johanna could see it lead up outside due to the blue patch of sky that was greeting her at the top. Johanna quickly scaled the ladder, excited to see where exactly they were. It occurred to her, that this was the first time she had been outside during the last two days on board.
    When Johanna climbed out of the square hatch and onto the deck, she let out a gasp of awe. The big banana shaped boat was cruising down a wide river, the sides sloped upwards into tall hills, making it almost impossible to see anything but the grassy mountains.
    The boat was another thing. From what Johanna could remember Viking Ships were not this big. They usually were a thin boat with only one deck; this on the other hand was different.
    “This isn’t a Viking ship, is it?” Johanna asked Kirsten. Kirsten started to talk, but a gruff voice interrupted from behind us.
    “Yes, it is lassie. But The Virðing is much, much better.”
    Johanna turned to see a burly man wearing a tan hide jacket and deep set eyes, all he was missing was a peg leg and a whale. Without even waiting for an introduction, the man went on “Three decks, Main, living quarters and the hold. Unlike traditional Viking ships, we have below decks. We also have magical oars, no need for a rowing team. Our figure head” he said gesturing to the giant carved dragon at the front of the boat “knows the way to and from port, by heart. That is, if he had a heart.” The man let out a deep guffaw, obviously pleased with his cleverness.
    “Johanna, may I introduce Captain Stark.”
    “Johanna. Fine name you’ve got there.” Stark said holding out a callused had for her to shake. “Maybe you will be the next Knight of Njord, like yours truly.”
    Johanna saw Kirsten roll her eyes, “You keep saying that Stark, one year you’ll be right.”
    “You bet I’ll be right, it’s been twenty years since the last Njord, Me. I would like a fellow Njord to help me out on the boat; the closest I’ve got is Lucas, though not for long.” He said giving Kirsten a pointed look.
    Kirsten’s cheeks went red. “You see,” Captain Stark went on, “It’s only a matter of years before Lucas settles down and makes a family with his betrothed. I do hope, Kirsten, that you’ll at least let him keep his job.”
    Johanna finally caught on, “You’re betrothed to Lucas?” she asked.
    “Yes.” Kirsten admitted, “Though we’ll wait a while before settling down, we both have jobs to finish.”
    “Aye, you tell me that lass, though once you’re betrothed all you can think about is when you’re goin’ to have the kids.”
    Kirsten let out a scoff, “Thank you for your insight, Captain. Though, we must be going.”
    Days past, and they continued along the river. Johanna loved to go up to the deck and listen to Captain Stark, who had already taken a liking to her. He often told her of his adventures out at sea, which usually involved a great beast of some sort eating his Chief Cadet.
    Johanna was sitting in her hammock, reading chapter 2 of the apprentice guide: Surviving the Trek to the Gates. The whole chapter was about the dangers in the forest, from poisonous plants to magical beasts.
    Kirsten came in, eating a croissant, and holding another clipboard.
    “Hey.” Johanna greeted, “Do you think we’ll actually encounter a fire-drake?” she held up the booklet which showed an illustration of a dragon like creature breathing fire at a human.
    Kirsten gave a chuckle through her mouth full of croissant, she swallowed and said, “Probably not, unless you’re carrying a dead kraken tentacle with you, they like to stay in their caves.”
    “I’ve been studying the chapter for about an hour, and I only have committed half of it to memory.” Johanna said, diverting her eyes back to the book, and trying to study up about a troll’s favorite snack.
    Quickly Kirsten snatched the booklet from Johanna’s hand and held it behind her back.
    “Hey!” Johanna protested.
    “We will be at port in one hour. You’ve got to get ready.” She held up the booklet “you can have this back when you’re looking decent.”
    Johanna mumbled a complaint and Kirsten left her to get ready. An hour later, Johanna was on the top deck, adorned in her blue robes and white cloak. All of her belongings were in the rucksack slung over her shoulder.
    “Good luck Lass, I really hope you’ll make it.” Captain Stark smiled and gave her a pat on the shoulder, “Remember to come visit me if you’re ever in port.”
    Lucas was standing with Kirsten, who gave her a hug then walked over to Johanna. “Good luck, kid.” He said.
    When they turned into port, Johanna gasped. The docks, filled with dozens of other ships, and the collection of shops and cobblestone streets gave a friendly air. When they had docked people were starting to form a crowd around the ship, Kirsten led Johanna down the gangplank and through the crowd of people who were shouting words of encouragement.
    A portly man, dressed in orange ran up to them. “Kirsten! You’re here! First one of the day!” he said with joviality “You will be taking trail One.” Kirsten nodded and instead of continuing onto the town, veered left onto a small gravel path. Johanna knew what he meant when he said path one, each new apprentice has to take their own path with their guide to the gates. Each path has different dangers and directions.
    They walked into a clearing, where there were eight paths leading off. Each one had a wrought iron arch with a number hanging on it.
    “You ready?” Kirsten asked, glancing at Johanna.
    “As I’ll ever be.” She replied stepping onto the dark path.

I hope you liked it! Please,please, please comment! I want to know what you guys think! Comments, complements, criticism, anything!

Last edited by Sienna on 4/22/2013, 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tyler oakley
    tyler oakley

Female
    Number of posts : 2441
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by tyler oakley 4/21/2013, 3:15 pm

Yay Sienna you're back!! i always love your stories c:
    sienna
    sienna
    Official Site Coder

Female

Post by sienna 4/29/2013, 12:02 am

Okay Here's chapter three! I hope you love reading it, as much as I loved writing it.

Chapter 3:

Johanna’s boots made a crunching sound as Kirsten and her walked the thin trail. Occasionally they heard a scuffle in the surrounding wood, though nothing was there. Johanna often checked behind her to see if Kirsten was there, which she always was.
    “Scared?” asked Kirsten jokingly, her long blonde hair swinging side to side as she walked.
    “Of course!” Johanna exclaimed, turning to look at Kirsten yet again, “What if we get attacked by a bear?”
    Kisten snorted “I think what’s in this forest would scare any bear away.”
    “That’s not helping.”
    “Neither is me lying to you.”
    After night had settled, the two of them sat around a campfire that Kirsten refused to help Johanna with. It had taken Johanna half an hour with the help of the Apprentices Guide to be able to get the fire started. Now, after being fed dry branches, the flame reached high and joyfully danced in the middle of the small clearing.
    The fire was hypnotic in the middle of the darkening landscape, like a small breath of life in the middle of a sea of despair. The two girls, who seemed to glow in the light of the fire stayed quiet. The smaller one, who’s light red hair seemed even brighter from the fire, was reading the small booklet for the thousandth time. The taller one was carving a piece of wood with her knife, and occasionally looked up at the other girl, a bemused look on her face.
    Farther into the forest, a small light formed. It flickered for a moment, before getting bigger. Johanna was reading, when the paper seemed to be easier to read. Turning around to see where the light was coming from, she could see a large ball of light, growing even bigger passing the size of a pumpkin.
    “Kirsten!” She hissed, and pointed to the light.
    Kirsten looked up from her carving and at the light, “Yes? What do you expect me to do?”
    “What is that?” Johanna asked
    “I have no clue.” Kirsten said blatantly, lying through her teeth. The light, was in fact, an Elf Light. The Elf light had lured many a person to their death in the Viking’s age.
    When Johanna stood up, the light stopped inflating. Slowly, Johanna walked through the thickets towards the light. The light got smaller as she inched towards it, and when Johanna was less than a foot away, it started to float farther into the forest.
    Johanna glanced back at the campfire, where Kirsten was now standing, watching intently. The wisp had already gotten farther, almost disappearing into the trees. Johanna darted after it, wanting to find out the secrets it held. The wisp lead her farther and farther into the forest, the campfire now gone and the only light was from the small wisp. The wisp didn’t stop until they reached a cave, Johanna stood there for a moment, waiting for the wisp to do something. Slowly, it traveled farther into the cave. Johanna followed, though hesitantly. As they got deeper in, Johanna saw a light ahead, and she walked into a room lit by lanterns. A heavily muscled man with balding grey hair, was leaning over a craftsman table using large tools on a slab of metal. The wisp let out a loud hiss, like air deflating out of a tire.
    “Arik? Is that you?” The man said, not even turning around “Did you get the stream water I asked for?”
    The wisp, whose name was apparently Arik, hissed again.
    “What do you mean you’ve got something better I asked for-“ The man turned around and looked at Johanna. She could now see his thick beard and worn eyes. He gave an exasperated sigh and said “Well Arik. What did you bring her for? I don’t need an assistant, not this one at least. Too scrawny. I suppose you can feed her to one of trolls, in exchange for some gold of course.”
    “What?!” Johanna squeaked “Why?!”
    The man turned around and continued with his work “Because Trolls mine the best gold, or at least they steal it from the miner elves, who mine the best gold.”
    “No.” Johanna said flatly, “Why are you going to feed me to the trolls?”
    “Trolls love to eat humans, and If I provide them with one, they give me gold. Simple as that.”
    “Isn’t there a better way?” Johanna asked, “You know, a way where I don’t get eaten.”
    “I suppose you could go and steal the gold from the dwarves or the trolls, but only a mad man would ever attempt to steal from a troll, and very few creatures can find a dwarf.”
    “I’ll do it.” Johanna said.
    The man turned around again, “You’ve got guts, I’ll give you that.” He seemed to think for a minute. “It’s a deal.”
    “So I’ve just got to track down these dwarves, and get a bag of their gold?”
    “Yes, and make sure no trolls catch you.”
    “Who are you, may I ask?”
    The man looked her in the eye for a moment “Name’s Regin. I’m one of the best dwarf blacksmiths there is.”
    “You’re a dwarf?” Johanna asked skeptically, “But you’re so big.”
    Regin snorted, “That’s what they all say.” He turned around back to his work, “Now get a move on, I don’t have all night. Take a lantern with you, or else you won’t be able to see.”
    Johanna nodded, and picked up a lantern from the table.
    “Oh!” Regin cried as Johanna was almost out, “And don’t try any funny business, I’ve got wisps like Arik all over the forest, that’ll be watching you.”

Johanna held the lantern high as she walked through the forest. Occasionally catching glimpses of wisps, she trekked through the dark, hoping that she could stumble upon the hideout of the miner dwarves.
    “If I were a miner dwarf where would I be?” she asked herself
    “I wouldn’t go that way.”
    Johanna jumped, standing before her, at three feet tall, was a small man in overalls.
    “What are you?” she asked
    “I know what you are, but what am I?” He said gleefuly.
    “That just what I asked.” Johanna said, not amused.
    “They say we are supposed to be this way, so I am.” He sung.
    “Then what are you supposed to be?”
    “Elves of old, Elves of new, we became two.”
    “So you’re an elf?”
    “Maybe if you opened your eyes, you could see.”
    “My eyes are open!” Johanna protested
    “Then where are you?” he asked giggling and swinging around a tree.
    “I’m in the forest, so are you. I’m supposed to be looking for the miner dwarves; do you know where they are?”
    “Finders keepers, losers weepers!”
    “What’s that supposed to mean?”
    “Dwarves never lose their gold; unless you make them.”
    “That’s very helpful.” Johanna said, “But I need to find the stupid dwarves first!”
    The Elf snickered. “Open your eyes.”
    “My eyes are open!” Johanna exclaimed, thoroughly annoyed with him.
    “Not with the light on!” The elf snatched the lantern from her hand, and blew the candle out.
    “Hey!” Johanna protested, “Now how am I supposed to find my way?”
    “Open your eyes.” He whispered. Then she heard him shuffle away.
    “Open my eyes?” She muttered “My eyes are open.”
    Then she looked up. Nestled in the branches of the trees, were tiny lanterns, glowing in the dark. They made a line, that lead to Johanna’s right.
    “Open your eyes.” Johanna whispered, awestruck. She then jogged under the line. Keeping her eyes on the tree tops, she followed the line, which resulted in her tripping over many roots.
    It wasn’t long before she came upon another cave. Plucking a lantern from the tree, she tucked it into her knapsack, just in case she needed it later.
    She ducked behind a tree, as she heard voiced come from the cave.
    “I don’t know Lou.” She heard someone say, “You think we need more gold?”
    “Don’t question me, Craig, I know how much gold we need.”
    Peeking out from behind the tree, she saw two men that were of similar stature to Regin, leave a big bag of gold, on a cart tethered to a donkey.
    “If I steal the gold, they’ll notice.” Johanna murmured, “But if they were to think of it lost…”
    Nearby, a deep river was rushing by. An idea began to form inside Johanna’s mind. After coming up with a plan, she sat and waited for another bag to come out.
    It wasn’t long before another dwarf heaved a bag of gold into the almost full cart. Once he was gone, Johanna crept out from behind the tree and made her way over to the cart. The donkey, which was eating, lifted his head up and nudged her as if asking for more hay. She unsaddled him and led him over to the bale of hay which he gladly munched on. Then, she went behind the cart and gave it a great heave, which set it down the mountain. Quickly she grabbed two bags of gold, which felt like they wheighed a hundred pounds and ran after the cart to the river.
    Johanna let the cart tip over, right in front of the river. She took one of the bags she was holding and dumped it into the river. The dwarves would see the gold in the rocks and assume the other bag also fell out and swept down the river. Quickly, she ducked behind the tree up at the mouth of the cave, and watched as one of the dwarves came out and saw the cart.
    “Lou!” He called. “The cart’s gone down to the river!”
    About ten other dwarves ran out of the cave and started to freak out.
    “Some of the gold went into the water,” one said, “It’s gone by now.”
    “Well, I guess we’re going to be working all night. Thanks to Craig not tying up the donkey correctly.”
    There was more muttering between the dwarves. Johanna smiled and turned back into the forest.

When she got back to Regin’s cave, he was shocked. “How on earth?” He looked at her wordlessly.
    “Well, I suppose I should reward you. After all, not just anyone can get gold from the dwarves.” Regin walked to a big chest and pulled out a golden sword.
    “This should suit you.” He said handing it to her, “Very light and precise. It’ll cause great damage if used correctly.”
    “Thank you.” Johanna said astonished, “Thank you so much.”
    “It’s a pleasure.” Regin nodded
    “Do you happen to know how to get to the Gates of Jaðarr?”
    “Arik can take you there. He knows the way better than I.”
    Arik zoomed over to Johanna’s side letting out a hiss.
    “Arik would be pleased to take you.” Regin translated, “Now, off you go. I have things to make.”
    Johanna let Arik lead her out of the cave. Her new sword at hand, they got outside, the morning light was greeting her.
    “Arik.” She said. “If I don’t get to the Gates fast, I’m not getting in.”
    Arik let out a hiss and zoomed through the forest, and Johanna rushed after him.

Komaeda
    Komaeda

Female
    Number of posts : 2082
    Registration date : 2012-12-09

Post by Komaeda 4/29/2013, 6:27 am

Amazing! I dont know why there are more coments praising you for exelent job at this awesome story! I love it.
    communist
    communist
    Honorary Cat

Female
    Number of posts : 3385
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by communist 4/29/2013, 5:27 pm

You're an excellent writer. <3
    sienna
    sienna
    Official Site Coder

Female

Post by sienna 5/2/2013, 4:43 pm

Whoo! New chapter!!! (and quite possibly my favorite.)

Chapter 4:

Johanna sped through the forest, on the heels of Arik. The sun was creeping higher and higher into the sky, the other apprentices would be at the gates any moment. Johanna, on the other hand, was far from it. Johanna wondered what Kirsten was doing now, after she presumed that Johanna was dead. Hopefully she’d be at the gates with the other apprentices, and guides.
    Arik was starting to fade, the bright glow now overcome by the light of the sun. She was having trouble making him out against the foliage. The tree’s started to get less dense as they carried on. It wasn’t long before they broke into a vast clearing.
    There were thirteen figures standing in front of a giant cast iron gate. The gate, was about two stories high with twisted bars at small intervals.

The gate’s started to open as Johanna yelled “Wait!” at the top of her lungs.
    The people, eight in green, four in blue, and one in orange, all turned. The gates stopped opening. When Johanna reached them, she was out of breath, “I’m… Here…” she said between deep breaths.
    “Johanna?” Kirsten asked, dumbfounded.
    The man in the orange addressed her, “Young lady, how on earth did you find you way without a guide?”
    “Arik…He…led… me… here.” Johanna said still out of breath.
    “Who is Arik?”
    When Johanna had caught her breath, she answered. “The wisp. He led me here.”
    “A wisp named Arik, brought you here?” The man asked
    Johanna nodded. “He belongs to Regin. You see, after I ran away from the campsite, Arik led me to his cave. Regin told me that I had to get him a bag of dwarves gold, so I wouldn’t be eaten by trolls. So I left his cave and met this elf, who by the way was very irritating. He told me how to find the dwarves and get the gold. So I followed the glowing tree lights, and found their mine. I gave their donkey hay and dumped the gold in the river, though I grabbed a bag first. The dwarves thought that Craig had been stupid, and I was able to get away. I found my way back to Regin’s cave and gave him the gold. He was so grateful, he gave me a sword. Then he had Arik take me here.”
    The man in orange, looked to Kirsten “Is she sane?” he asked
    “Of course I am!” Johanna snapped, “How else would’ve I gotten this?” she held up the sword Regin had given her.
    The man in orange, studied the sword for a minute his eyes growing wide. “Great Thor! This is a work of Regin! How did you find him?”
    “Like I said,” Johanna repeated, “Arik led me to him.”
    “An Elf Light led you to Regin?” The man asked
    “Yes! An elf light named Arik who talks by making loud hissing sounds!”

Everyone else, including the four other new apprentices, three boys and a girl, were staring at her.
    “Well. I do believe that you have survived, how about we find out your godly mentor, eh?”
    Kirsten stepped forward. “Johanna Hartford. You have been chosen as a Knight of Jaðarr, and by surviving the forest, you have been deemed fit to enter the city of Jaðarr. First, you must find out who your godly mentor is.” She walked over to a large stone, engraved on it were faces with gems for eyes, in the middle, was a depression in the shape of a hand.
    “Now.” Kirsten went on, “You must place your hand on the stone, and it will show us who your godly mentor is.”
    Johanna did as she was told. Suddenly, the gems on the stone started to glow, lighting up in hundreds of different colors. They all faded for a moment, until one, right above her palm started to get brighter, the brilliant grey-blue, getting brighter and brighter.
    “Odin.” Kirsten announced, “God of Thought and Wisdom, later known for battle and death by the Vikings.”
    “Impossible!” The orange man exclaimed, “There hasn’t been a Knight of Odin for years, nevertheless a girl! I refuse to believe this psychotic weakling, has been chosen by the king of the gods!”
    “Gregor, it has been decided. The stone never lies.” Kirsten argued, “After all, you said yourself.”
    “Never question the stone. I know!” Gregor snapped.
    “Well.” Kirsten said loudly, giving a glare to Gregor, “I do believe that it is time we go into the city and take a tour!”

Kirsten led Johanna through the gates holding her tight by the arm, as if she was afraid that Johanna would escape again. They had to trek a short while, on a cobblestone road that was lined with melting snow, the air was damp and cold turning Johanna cheeks red against the fur hood of her cloak. The other apprentices followed behind them, whispering to their guides or just staying silent and observing the landscape. The whole area was in a valley, sloping hills on either side of them filled with tall evergreens that were dusted lightly in snow. The whole land was filled with snow, unlike the forest who’s closely set tree’s kept the snow from reaching the ground. When they reached the top of the hill, the town came into view. The street they were on continued right into an avenue lined with shops, the street was congested by many people, who were talking and laughing. People rode horse back through the streets and vendors pushed carts calling out deals.

The group made their way down the hill, and the crowd started to turn and watch the new apprentices come into town. By the time they actually made it into the street, everyone was cheering and clapping. The stores that lined the street were made of a gray stone and crème wood with brown rafters making the whole town look like a German village.
    They passed a group of street performers, playing instruments like the Harp, Cello and Violin. As they squished through the crowd, Johanna heard many people shouting their welcome.
    Gregor, who was leading the group shouted “Make way! We need to get to the Registration Office. The Apprentice celebrations will be later tonight!”
    The crowd respectfully listened and parted, letting Gregor make them walk faster and into a building on the right.
    The registration Office, was quiet and empty opposed to the street outside. A number of mismatched chairs lined the walls, and at the far end of the room were a number of people sitting at desks, using typewriters.

Kirsten, who still was firmly gripping Johanna’s arm, dragged her over to one of the desks were a woman was sitting.
    “Name?” The woman asked, her tight bun and cat-eye glasses made her look like a librarian.
    “Johanna Hartford.” Kirsten replied before Johanna could even open her mouth.
    The woman nodded and began to type. “Age?”
    “Twelve.” Johanna said quickly.
    The woman looked up over her glasses. “Please don’t respond, Miss. That is your Guide’s job.”
    Kirsten patted Johanna’s shoulder, “Why don’t you go and talk to the other new apprentices in the waiting area, okay?”
    Johanna shrugged her shoulders, “Why didn’t you just leave me there?” Johanna grumbled, as she stood up and trudged over to the other three kids, sitting silently in the chairs.
    Johanna took a seat next to the blonde girl, who eyed her nervously.
    “Hi.” Johanna greeted, “I’m Johanna, and you are?”
    “Nikola.” She replied, not making eye contact.
    “Nikola. That’s a pretty name. Where are you from?”
    “Poland.”
    “I’m from Canada.”
    There was an akward silence, until a boy, with dark hair leaned over, “You’re the girl who got the sword, no?”
    Johanna nodded, “Yeah, that’s me.”
    “You were smart, no wonder you got Odin.” He said with grudging respect “I’m Miguel. From Argentina.”
    Miguel looked to the other boy who’s sandy hair covered his eyes, “What’s your name?”
    “Lucas. Johannesburg, South Africa.”
    “Well,” Miguel said, looking to Johanna, “Since you arrived late to the claiming, you ought to know your mentors. I was chosen by Tyr, God of War. He’s a pretty good mentor, if I do say so myself. Bravery, Loyalty, Justice; some of my best qualities.”
    “You forgot egotistic.” Nikola added.
    Miguel gave Nikola an annoyed look, then said “Nikola was chosen by Skadi. Goddess of Winter and the Hunt. Nothing special.”
    Nikola scoffed, “We’ll see about that when there’s an arrow in your brain.”
    “Whoa.” Lucas cut in, “Guy’s cut it out.”
    “You would say that.” Migel smirked, “After all, your mentor Forseti is the god of peace and Justice. You’ve got to learn that the best way to get justice is by fighting.” Miguel pulled out his knife and pointed it toward Nikola.
    “You watch your back.”
    Nikola rolled her eyes, “You don’t even know how to use that.”
    Miguel smirked and threw the knife, it missed Nicola and the blade hit the wall with a thump.
    “You could’ve killed me!” Nikola exclaimed
    “Yeah, but I didn’t.” He reached over to grab the knife, but before he could, Nikola grabbed his wrist and Judo Flipped him, and then put a foot on his chest.
    “Don’t mess with me.”

Gregor, who had just noticed the fight rushed over. "Children! Now is not the time to fight, save it for after the celebrations, please."
    Kirsten rushed over with the other guides, “Johanna! What did you do?”
    “Nothing! I didn’t do anything!” Johanna exclaimed throwing her hands in the air.
    “Well we better get to the celebrations. We don’t want to be late.” Gregor said, ushering everybody out. “And remember, don’t try to kill each other on stage!”

Please Comment! I want to know your opinion!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/19/2024, 8:09 am