A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

5 posters

Racism

Edgar Allan Poe
    Edgar Allan Poe
    Experienced Member

Female
    Number of posts : 5513
    Registration date : 2011-11-10

Racism Empty Racism

Post by Edgar Allan Poe 9/4/2014, 2:29 pm

This is a serious subject, maybe too serious for this site, but I need to talk to someone about it, so please listen carefully. I'm Brazilian and Brazilian people have a huge ethnic variety. We are a mix between European, Native Indian and African, but we are mostly latinos. In general, we are very used to miscigenation and racist prejudices are rare and hidden, but still exist.

The fact is that no one in this nation is fully white. You rarely see a blonde, pale, blue-eyed person. And if you see, everyone will think that the person is a tourist and will start calling him a "gringo", which is our slang for foreigner. It's odd but sort of funny. Anyway, this usually isn't a negative thing, because, for example, there are an Italian boy and a Russian girl in my school. We call them "gringo" and "gringa", but we treat them with equality, even though they barely speak our language. I actually love this, it makes Brazil a colorful country. I don't have any kind of prejudice with anyone.

Now you may be wondering why I am so worried about racism. It's not because of me, it's because of my best friend, who is probably moving abroad next year. His family story sounds like fiction: his grand grandparents were a Germain-Jewish couple who exiled to Brazil so they could escape the holocaust during the World War II. They loved this country and started a family here. A few generations later, the family was biracial, like many others. Therefore, my friend's middle name is Brazilian, and his last name is Germain. This is quite unique.

Him and his whole family are returning to Germain now, in search of a best labor camp, etc. He doesn't speak a word of Germain, but he's as fluent in English as me, so I don't think communication will be a problem. In fact, I'm afraid that he will be bullied in his new Germain school, for being a foreigner. Let me describe his appearence: his skin is caramel tanned (perhaps you would consider it a common latino tone), his hair is very curly and dark, and his eyes are light green. Here in Brazil, he's a very average person, but maybe in Germany, he wouldn't be.

I mean, I've never been to Germany, but I know that most of the Germain population is pure caucasian. And I'm sure that most of you guys know what it means to be different in a new school, mainly in a new country. I'm afraid that he will be bullied for his race. I hate the idea, but I can't help, because it really may happen. I don't think that Germain people still have a sort of nazist mentality, but racism exists everywhere. Is anyone here Germain? Can you tell me how do you think that people would deal with a latino guy in your high school?
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Racism Empty Re: Racism

Post by Morgan Landry 9/4/2014, 3:45 pm

Hey there! Seems I'm the person you're looking for xD
    I'm German, currently live in Berlin and have been living here a total of what, ten years.
    First of all: your friend risks nothing. With all the immigrants here (especially Turkish people), there is really no racist problem, except if he goes to some kind of stuck up catholic school. In my schools in Berlin, nobody was ever bullied for their skin color, and we had literally people from across the world. Vietnamese and Korean guys, Africans, Mexicans, yes, even two Brazilians, just to name a few examples.

Next thing, the Nazi cliché. I'm very sorry to hear people still think we guys have some Nazi ideas here and there, but in the words of the doctor in Captain America: "People often forget that the first country Hitler invaded was his own," and it couldn't have been better worded. In Germany, we remember. When I go to college, I pass three holocaust monuments just walking down the three streets I have to go through. Neonazis, they are in every country. But as said, in Germany, we're daily reminded of what happened in the 1936-1945, and that reduces highly racism. I have literally never met a racist person in my Berlin school, never. We're pretty chill over here.
    Also, we're not pure Caucasians ^^ I know the cliché of the tall, fair skinned, blonde and blue eyed German, but taking myself as an example, I'm a brunette with brown eyes, and people of every color walk the streets. After that, it depends where he goes. Rumor has it that some people of East Germany are kinda racist. But if it's Berlin, there is seeeeriously no problem. And Western Germany. Western Germany is really cool.

Summing up: your friend can chill. Nothing's gonna happen to him.
    Josh
    The Genius

Male
    Number of posts : 3580
    Registration date : 2012-08-07

Post by Josh 9/4/2014, 5:13 pm

Well i go to boarding school, and we have people from all over the world, like from spain, mexico, brazil, france, germany, china, hong kong, thailand, Poland, to name a few. So, here it's incredibly normal and there's no racism whatsoever as we have absolutely everything and it's perfectly normal.

Post by Guest 9/4/2014, 10:23 pm

I'm partly German and I lived there for a year (my mom's work asked her to be there for a while) and I went to a German elementary school. You're kinda right, some Germans are pure Caucasian but there were a couple of immigrant kids from china, Mexico and Africa and there are in my middle school right now. I don't think your friend will be bullied. I don't see a reason as to why he should-except for those a**holes who think they're better than everyone else. As long as he can learn basic German relatively fast then he should be fine. I'm sure his parents could find him GSL classes or private lessons somewhere. Like I said before, bullying shouldn't be a problem.
    That's all I have to say
    Rhyolo
    Rhyolo
    YOLO MASTER

Male
    Number of posts : 1245
    Registration date : 2014-05-25

Post by Rhyolo 9/5/2014, 6:24 am

For all I know I'm 0% German. But I know a thing or two about racism. One time in 5th grade (i was the only black kid in 5th grade at that time) and the teacher gave me a C an A paper and gave another kid a A on a B paper
    communist
    communist
    Honorary Cat

Female
    Number of posts : 3385
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by communist 9/5/2014, 7:01 am

its white not caucasian
    thanks
    (sorry if this is off-topic but caucasian =/= white. google it.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/29/2024, 1:57 am