A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

+9
honey
Toothless
Leo
Watsky
steelviper77
mabel pines
Belle
Milocross
Morgan Landry
13 posters

New layout

Poll

Do you like the new site layout?

[ 20 ]
    New layout Vote_lcap51%New layout Vote_rcap [51%] 
    [ 19 ]
    New layout Vote_lcap49%New layout Vote_rcap [49%] 

Total Votes: 39
    Poll closed
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

New layout Empty New layout

Post by Morgan Landry 12/26/2014, 2:15 pm

So since we got a lot of negative feedback on the old site layout we decided to go for a new one. I went to a graphics forum to get headers, a Who's Online picture and icons; Lila did the coding. Please vote here if you like it or not. If you have anything to suggest, please comment!

SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS MADE:
    • the colors are too dull

• the edit, post reply, and new topic buttons are hard to see on this background

• camp half blood is orange, not purple

• literally any variation on that last one if it's commenting on purple/orange i'd rather you don't

• it doesn't capture chb (if you have suggestions on how to do that better, please give those; none of the comments saying this have included how we can do that best)

• the pictures are from the movie and the movies are trash

SOMETHING ELSE TO REMEMBER: this color scheme is ONLY FOR DECEMBER. i'll probably change it the second it's midnight on january first. then it will look like THIS. we're also changing it for the seasons.

Last edited by Santa Morgan on 12/26/2014, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Milocross
    Milocross
    3 parts human, 1 part piano

Female
    Number of posts : 7772
    Registration date : 2010-01-08

New layout Empty Re: New layout

Post by Milocross 12/26/2014, 2:18 pm

I didn't hear about negative feedback on the old layout?

Also the CHB color is orange, and orange doesn't go really well with purple if you ask me so it would be hard to incorporate it in the new site.

It's a beautiful layout, really, but I just don't think it really captures CHB. If I were to look at the layout without any text or knowing what it was for, I'd assume it was for Harry Potter or something.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Post by Morgan Landry 12/26/2014, 2:46 pm

Well I've been hearing stuff like, so when are you guys changing the layout or, ugh these colours hurt and things like that.

Here's my opinion on it.
    I've been inhabited to French forums before getting on CHB so to me the design sucked and I had always wished someone would change it. Tbh, with all the gray and orange I felt more like on an Easyjet website rather than a Percy Jackson RPG. So once I became admin I started looking for stuff on this French graph forum I'm on and that's where these headers come from. I get what you're saying about how purple doesn't fit Camp Half-Blood (cough, it fits Camp Jupiter), but this is the winter header so it's normal it's in colder colors.
    I really fancy this layout, I prefer it over the last one.
    Belle
    Belle

Female
    Number of posts : 1431
    Registration date : 2013-05-28

Post by Belle 12/26/2014, 3:13 pm

I actually rather like the layout myself, just could use a bit of tweaking. The locked forum picture or whatever could use a bit more of a change since when I looked at it next to the no new posts one, there was only slight colour difference.

Other than that, I'm alright with the layout. The old one was a bit dull and boring imo, and it didn't really "capture" CHB either if we're going about capturing the whole thing.

Also, at the end of the day it's not really about what it looks like, more about the content. You could have the most beuatiful layout ever and everything could be crap and vice versa and such on.
    mabel pines
    mabel pines
    gun.

Other / Decline to state
    Number of posts : 8787
    Registration date : 2009-12-26

Post by mabel pines 12/26/2014, 3:49 pm

yeah, as morgan said, we have different things for fall/winter and spring/summer. not to mention we did tinker with the header a bit and made it a bit more blue - normally it's a more gray color, like this. in the spring/summer it'd be green, in the fall/winter it'd be blue/gray. probably after december i'll change the colors back to the grayer colors and all.

and, going off of what belle and morgan said, the site did look a bit more immature before. even now, compared to the french site morgan showed us, this is nothing; if i knew more about coding i'd make an attempt to get it to look something like those, but as it is, i don't know how to go about doing that.

if we end up changing this layout, i would 100% prefer we didn't even touch anything similar to the old one. the background was hideous, i couldn't stand the gray/orange combo, and, as i said, it looked immature. and catherine, if you know so much about what would "capture" chb, then make a layout for it yourself; the old one didn't "capture" chb either, as belle said
    steelviper77
    steelviper77

Male
    Number of posts : 92
    Registration date : 2010-02-11

Post by steelviper77 12/26/2014, 4:29 pm

I really love the new colors and designs. Thanks for putting in the time to make a new design, the old one was getting really stale. Personally, I disagree with Belle, the old design was a bit better at capturing that cheesy summer camp feel that you would have gotten from CHB, but I can definitely see what she means. The main thing about this design I don't really like is that, especially with the new images in the header and post icons, is that it doesn't really show off that this is Camp Half Blood. Yes, the old images were atrocious together and the colors were all over the place, but you can't say it didn't scream "WE LOVE THESE BOOKS!" while this one I think feels like it could fit on just about any YA fiction roleplay site. Also, while I know this is winter colors, the whole site feels a little bleak. Every image is washed out and the only color is this dull gray purple, but that's just my personal opinion.

Oh and if possible, could you put a little contrast on the "EDIT" button, I had a hard time finding it to fix something in my post.
    Watsky
    Watsky

Female
    Number of posts : 620
    Registration date : 2011-01-02

Post by Watsky 12/26/2014, 5:08 pm

ITS NOT LETTING JIMMY VOTE

but how steel said, the old layout "captured" the corniness of a summer camp, but i really like this new one. the contrasts are really nice and I love that color. i never was fond of the old layout, i'll be honest.
    it was time for a change. it was the same for as long as I can remember. I was here in 2011, and I stumbled by even earlier and it was the same. even hbm changed the style before this site did.
    plus it was seriously ugly. sorry not sorry.
    Leo
    Leo

Male
    Number of posts : 498
    Registration date : 2013-02-24

Post by Leo 12/26/2014, 8:47 pm

No seriously it made me change my mood to feelin lonely. Unless maybe change the topic background to the dark gray one on the old one, plus the new buttons for making a new topic is just too fancy. New comers would get a very bad first impression of the site. To me the Old one Seems to look betta.
    mabel pines
    mabel pines
    gun.

Other / Decline to state

Post by mabel pines 12/26/2014, 8:58 pm

how are the new topic buttons too fancy? like, i understand the rest of your points, but i'm very confused on that. could you explain a bit more? i did mention to morgan something about possibly replacing those so i'd like to understand as much as possible. (personally i don't think it gives the wrong impression - there's another chb rp site that used to be very, very popular, and they had a pretty dark color scheme, pretty similar to this one, and we're even going to be switching over to brighter colors for the summer; i don't see how this gives a bad impression at all)
    Leo
    Leo

Male

Post by Leo 12/26/2014, 9:09 pm

It's the new topic button lila New layout FLzs1xB5 Not very visible through the bluish violetish background. Much better if changed back to dis: New layout Post_en Yes the olde one.

Last edited by Leo on 12/27/2014, 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
    mabel pines
    mabel pines
    gun.

Other / Decline to state

Post by mabel pines 12/26/2014, 9:20 pm

i know what the new buttons look like, i put them up. i also know what the old buttons look like. i've been a member for five years, i'd expect myself to.

after december we're changing the site colors to look more like this. the buttons are a little bit easier to see, but i understand it's still difficult to see them. that's why i've asked morgan if it'd be possible for us to find different buttons, but if we can't we will go back to the old ones.

also, this could just be me being a bit grumpy, but i really don't appreciate the whole "copy" thing. i'm doing my best to give the members the best experience possible, that includes asking people to explain their criticisms when i don't understand them. i'm very sorry if you didn't mean to give me sass and if i'm just being rude, but it really does look an awful lot like sass. in the future, please just explain your point, no need for adding things like "copy" or "do you get it".
    Leo
    Leo

Male

Post by Leo 12/26/2014, 9:37 pm

Nah, I'm the one being rude. Sorry 'bout dat.
    *flashes peace sign*
    Toothless
    Toothless

Female
    Number of posts : 365
    Registration date : 2014-02-05

Post by Toothless 12/26/2014, 10:24 pm

I like it but apparently this is like a thing for those who's astrological sign is Cancer, change is like super weird and awkward for me so it will take a while for me to digest but it sure is purdy
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female
    Number of posts : 3396
    Registration date : 2011-11-12

Post by honey 12/27/2014, 12:16 am

honestly, i don't think there's much of a difference really? so i don't understand why people are full-out complaining about this. i do agree, with one thing, though--the colour's bothering my eyes a bit. it's a nice colour, sure, but it's a little much, i think?
    Leo
    Leo

Male

Post by Leo 12/27/2014, 12:33 am

Oh, and yeah the page got stretched.

Post by Guest 12/27/2014, 12:35 am

For me, I could live with it. But the colors are kind of dull. And the pictures are based on the movie, and what I've heard no PJO fan liked the movies.
    Leo
    Leo

Male

Post by Leo 12/27/2014, 1:12 am

agreed with liza
    Belle
    Belle

Female

Post by Belle 12/27/2014, 1:43 am

Honestly as a PJO fan, the reason most of us don't like the movies is because we mostly compare to the books, but you take the books out of the equation, and the movies are quite enjoyable as just movies without relating to the books.

Also, the colours are rather nice and not that dull. Grey is a shade and is very dull to me imo. Also you people having hurting eyes I'd like to say, maybe try with your brightness settings because I'm not having much problems and my eyes are fairly sensitive to light. I don't find it bleak, it's all in the mind on what colours make you think of bleakness.

I think we should all take a moment to at least acknowledge the hard work Lila and Morgan both put into the new layout. You may not like it, but at least appreciate their effort to attempt to get something different out there.

It's true that people aren't a huge fan of change, but alas it comes either way.

Lastly for the page being stretched.. it was meant to be stretched out more, honestly it shouldn't be about the background, it should be about this middle section where you post and see all the post and content, not the background.

My very last verdict/opinion in this post is that, I personally just want something different than the old one. The old one is ugly, dull, boring, and just not appealing to me. So if the people don't like this one, then I think we should try and find something else the site might like, the old one just needs to be left in the past. Also it is fact you will not ever have everyone happy and all on board, you'll always have someone disliking it.

So try to please majority? Right now from votes, it's split fairly half and half, sooo it wouldn't be good to go with either or. Unless more people come and vote and there's a big difference in vote.
    moriarty
    moriarty
    Dedicated Member

Female
    Number of posts : 1177
    Registration date : 2013-10-23

Post by moriarty 12/27/2014, 12:54 pm

I like the new layout, but on my widescreen computer, there's a lot of blank gray space outside of the purple. Also, maybe change the no new posts/new posts images to two different images. I like the image, but in my eyes, the difference of the colors is miniscule. Otherwise, I love the new layout. Its a good change, but its still simple enough that new members won't get confused. When I came on, I loved the simplicity of the site. This is a great and welcome change in my eyes.
    Watsky
    Watsky

Female
    Number of posts : 620
    Registration date : 2011-01-02

Post by Watsky 12/27/2014, 1:20 pm

moriarty, i'm on a wide screen computer too. that grey space is where the camp map used to be, remember? it's part of the thing
    Jules_Mcguelz
    Jules_Mcguelz

Female
    Number of posts : 593
    Registration date : 2013-09-06

Post by Jules_Mcguelz 12/27/2014, 4:00 pm

I have a huge problem with the layout. Really it's lovely and beautiful and pretty, but... it's the movie... the movie doesn't capture Percy Jackson. i personally want to rip it apart and re-do the whole stupid thing. I really do prefer the old layout. It seemed friendly.
    Also, why purple? I get that we want toinclude the romans but this is Camp Half Blood.
    If you want to change it, please do, but can we tweak this one so it's not so...
    different? I jut feel like it's not the meaning of CHB
    (also u don't like the 'New Topic' and 'reply' font)
    Belle
    Belle

Female

Post by Belle 12/27/2014, 4:28 pm

I think you could have worded that a whole lot nicer. The way you said it, could start an argument and could upset the admins a bit. Maybe try rewording it, so you aren't being too harsh but expressing why you aren't fond of it?

Also the old one didn't exactly capture it either.

Like I said, with the votes practically being split the best bet is to try and remake something else, and perhaps have a topic with suggestions on what people would like to see, and maybe they could try and find examples and what not, and try another idea? just with a split vote half of the people will be unhappy either way and it's not what you want on either side.
    Milocross
    Milocross
    3 parts human, 1 part piano

Female
    Number of posts : 7772
    Registration date : 2010-01-08

Post by Milocross 12/27/2014, 5:39 pm

One more thing; I find it very hard to distinguish new posts from no new posts.
    Alpha Wolf
    Alpha Wolf
    Non-conforming Criminal Mastermind

Male
    Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2012-02-25

Post by Alpha Wolf 12/27/2014, 5:56 pm

Liza wrote:For me, I could live with it. But the colors are kind of dull. And the pictures are based on the movie, and what I've heard no PJO fan liked the movies.

imb4 being the only person on this sites that likes the movies apparently.

Post by Guest 12/27/2014, 6:00 pm

Well, I liked the movies when I first saw them, but then I became a real Percy Jackson fan, and I realized they really messed up on the movies.

But honestly, I think everyone's kind of making a big deal over this. I mean, it must've taken the admins a really long time to do this. Just try to be grateful?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/19/2024, 7:20 am