A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

2 posters

A Farmer and a Bladesmith walk into a Forge...

Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male
    Number of posts : 38
    Registration date : 2016-07-09

A Farmer and a Bladesmith walk into a Forge... Empty A Farmer and a Bladesmith walk into a Forge...

Post by Celtaeus 7/12/2016, 5:49 am

For what seemed like the millionth time, Daniel tried to get a feel for a weapon. Any weapon would do. He wouldn't even mind using a hammer if he had some skill, but even that just didn't feel right to him. The son of Demeter was quickly losing patience. He had tried nearly every weapon that he could find in the weapon shed, but none of them fit him. Today he had borrowed a spear, and while it felt comfortable, attacking with it did not. He felt too exposed, and he didn't like how he could only stab. It felt like ploughing the same field over and over, even though the soil was already furrowed for planting. He didn't know if he could find any variation with it, and it just felt awkward. The manniquin that he had borrowed to practice in the forest in solitude was scored with cuts, dents, and burn marks, a testament to how many weapons he had tried. With a bit of a growl he threw the spear to the ground and looked up at the sky. I suppose skill at fighting is too much to ask for, huh mom.

He felt bad for being bitter, but he had been looking for a good weapon ever since he had arrived at camp. It was long past the time he should've found one, and the main reason was that he was too stubborn to accept offers of help, and too stubborn to ask for it. Really, he shouldn't be training in the forest at all, but he didn't want anyone to notice him struggling. He definitely didn't want their pity. Wiping the sweat off of his brow with a forearm, he looked at the sky, his dark brown eyes catching the sunlight. Running a hand through his hair, he sighed. It had been too long. He needed to ask for help, and he hated it. The Ares campers would just tell him to go play with flowers, and the Athena campers would try to explain things that were over his head. That left the Hephaestus kids.

Taking a deep breath, the suntanned teen made his way back towards camp to drop off the spear in the shed. He thought about making sure he looked presentable, but then he realized he would probably still be the cleanest one at the forge. They worked in sweltering temperatures around molten metal, engine grease, oil, and who knew what else. Scratching his head one last time, he made his way towards the forge, his black hair falling into place as he stepping inside.
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male
    Number of posts : 4470
    Registration date : 2014-11-16

A Farmer and a Bladesmith walk into a Forge... Empty Re: A Farmer and a Bladesmith walk into a Forge...

Post by Green 7/12/2016, 2:40 pm

A Farmer and a Bladesmith walk into a Forge... Tumblr_inline_n8veil80YJ1ssoiqt

It was safe to say that Malcolm Johnson preferred the forge over anything else Camp Half-Blood had to offer and that included the sword fighting arena. It wasn't that it was hard for him, but rather, he didn't like the fact that he might hurt someone. Everyone, well almost everyone, knew him as a gentle giant, but still. The thought of him accidently injuring someone still loomed over his head.

The African American camper lumbered his way into the forge and sat down at his work bench, seeing what he had to take care of for today. He sighed, scratching the back of his head and making his way to the anvil and made sure it was clean, getting soot on the palm of his hands. He was looking forward to spending all day at the forge, then heading over to the slabs of celestial bronze where he picked them up and headed over to the main work area.
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

A Farmer and a Bladesmith walk into a Forge... Empty Re: A Farmer and a Bladesmith walk into a Forge...

Post by Celtaeus 7/12/2016, 3:15 pm

A Farmer and a Bladesmith walk into a Forge... Daniel11

Daniel looked around sheepishly as he stepped inside. This was the first time he had even gone inside the forge, unless you counted the orientation tour. It just wasn't really his favorite place. Much too hot, and much too loud for his tastes. From what he could tell, it was a bit of a slower day for the forge, there were a few campers murmering to each other over a project whose purpose Daniel couldn't quite figure out. He was getting a bit embarrassed when he noticed the tall child of Hephaestus moving towards the main area on his own.

Taking a deep breath, he mentally rehearsed what he wanted to say and started walking towards the other boy. He raised an arm in greeting hoping that he wouldn't get a glare or worse, "Hey there! I was wondering if you had a second?"
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/12/2016, 3:44 pm

The son of Hephaestus turned around to see a male around his age with dark brown hair and brown eyes. Was he addressing him? He wasn't sure, but he knew that it would be rude not to say to say anything. It might've been a southern thing. "Sure, I have a few minutes. Do you have a weapon made or do you need something created?" Malcolm asked timidly, avoiding eye contact with the other Greek demigod. He never really talked much around camp, usually keeping to himself and working either in the forge or staying in his factory styled cabin.

Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/12/2016, 4:42 pm

Daniel rubbed his head awkwardly, his eyes flicking off to the side for a moment. "I need something created, if it's not too much trouble." With a start, he realized he hadn't introduced himself, and he felt himself flush a bit, thankfully the son of Hephaestus wasn't looking at him. "I'm Daniel by the way. I was wondering if you could help me out."

The son of Demeter shuffled a bit, trying to find the right words to explain himself. "Every weapon I've tried to use just feels awkward to me. I was raised on a farm, the only weapons I've touched are rifles, and we can't use them here. I was wondering if you could make me something like a reaping scythe. It's the closest thing to a weapon I would feel comfortable with." The last bit he had trouble getting out. He didn't like asking for help, and it hurt the little bit of pride he carried to admit he needed it. Rubbing his neck, he looked back up at the taller camper. "Would you mind?"
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/12/2016, 6:07 pm

"No, of course not." It was what Malcolm lived for! He didn't mind helping his fellow demigods out all he asked for was for it to be asked respectfully. "Hey, Daniel. I'm Malcolm." He greeted back and stood up straight instead of being hunched over. The young son of Hephaestus thought about it for a moment, trying to think. Then he asked, "Sure, I don't mind helping you with finding a weapon." He glanced down at the Greek's camp, beaded necklace and noticed the symbol of Demeter.

"That makes sense why you're more equipped with a scythe..." He said in thought, looking at his necklace still.
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/12/2016, 6:22 pm

Daniel's face broke into a wide smile when Malcolm agreed. He had almost expected to be turned away. "Thank you so much!" He said, his voice filled with relief. "I just hate feeling useless with a weapon, you know?" Noticing Malcolm looking at his necklace, he looked down and touched his mom's symbol briefly. He always liked looking at it, the wheat reminded him of the fields.

"Yeah, I've always been pretty good with the scythe back home. Even before I was really supposed to use it." He let the necklace drop back to his chest with a goofy smile on his face. "I don't really know anything about forging... How does this work? I haven't been in here since I first came to camp."
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/13/2016, 3:16 pm

Malcolm led him over to his own workbench and started to sketch out a design like he's done hundreds of times before. "It's kind of hard for me to explain what really happens here since it comes so naturally to me. Like I'm sure how gardening and cooking comes naturally to you." The son of Hephaestus always enjoyed making connections between himself and other demigods and demigoddesses.

"Do you know what you want your celestial bronze scythe to look like, Daniel?" Malcolm asked, sketching out the staff part first. A smile came to his face when he thought about the last time he made a customized weapon. It was for Jackson. A kopis to be exact.
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/13/2016, 7:03 pm

Daniel followed the other boy and watched quietly as the son of Hepaestus begain to sketch. It was interesting, because he had never had the time to draw. He wasn't really sure he had the inclination for it either. He could tell that Malcolm had talent for it, and he watched, almost mesmerized by the pencil strokes. He laughed a little bit at the cooking comment. "I actually didn't get much of the cooking talent from mom, just plants."

He thought for a moment, trying to decide what he would want more than what would make it functional. "Maybe rays of sunlight?" He scratched his head and chuckled. "As long as it's functional, I'm happy. You can do what you want with it other than that. I'd like if you had some fun with it instead of just hammering it out. My dad always said it's better to have fun while you're working."
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/13/2016, 7:38 pm

"Well, your father is correct." Malcolm never forged a scythe before, but he was sure that it was going to become naturally to him. He started to sketch a design, really getting into the detail. "Your mother is Demeter so I think I'll do..." Malcolm started to a standard sun at the top of the staff, then rain drops coming halfway down, next toward the bottom was fields of wheat with long, healthy stocks. "How does that look for the design, Daniel?" He asked, standing back up straight. For someone who is 6'3", Malcolm knew that he shouldn't be hunching over like he was, but that was too excited to worry about that now.
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/13/2016, 7:54 pm

Daniel watched the son of Hepaestus sketch, fascinated. His design was way better than anything he personally could've come up with. "Wow, that looks awesome!" He looked up at the African American boy with a huge grin. "That would be perfect!" His brown eyes had lit up, and he could feel the excitement growing. Finally he would have something that felt natural to him. He tried not to dance around in excitement, but he couldn't help rocking back and forth slightly. "If you could do something like that, it would be amazing! Do you want anything for making it? I can bring you food or something whenever you want." He tried to calm down a bit and rein himself in, remembering how timid the other boy had been. He didn't want to weird the guy out, but he was really excited.
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/13/2016, 8:56 pm

Malcolm was pleased with just how zealous Daniel was about having a customized weapon that was one of a kind. He appreciated it more than anything if he was to be honest. "...Double chocolate chip cookies are pretty nice." He said with the smallest of smiles. He never really got anything for making weapons other than self satisfaction, a thank you, or a head nod. Well, that wasn't true. He did get something out of making a weapon. Someone, rather.

Next he focused on the blade it self, making sure to have it well balanced. Forging this part would be hard since their hasn't a mold for it, but-- ah! He had an idea! "Alright, time for the measurements. How high do you want it?" Malcolm asked, turning to look at him for a quick second, then back down at the blueprint paper.
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/13/2016, 9:37 pm

Daniel grinned at Malcolm's payment of choice. "Double chocolate chip cookies it is!" While he had said that he didn't inherit any cooking skill from Demeter, it wasn't necessarily true. He could cook or bake a lot of things he had recipes for with varying degrees of success, but he had no imagination. He could never make his own recipes, and most dishes he had to cook meat for eluded him.

At Malcolm's question, he extended his arms as if he were holding the scythe he had back home and mimed a swing. " Probably a three and a half foot blade with a gentle curve to it?" The farm boy laughed and absentmindedly rubbed his missing finger. Then he realized what Malcolm meant and flushed. "Oh you meant for the staff! Probably around five feet? Maybe a bit shorter so I have more range of movement."
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/14/2016, 5:18 pm

Now Malcolm had something to look forward to! Malcolm hadn't consumed freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in about five to six months. He remembered that his mom used to bake them every Sunday after church. That was one thing that he missed back home.

Malcolm smiled some when Daniel thought he meant the height of the blade. "I'll make it four feet and a half feet tall. Maybe four and a two thirds." The latter seemed better for the son of Demeter. "Alright, I guess I'll get the staff part made first. You want it to be celestial bronze, right?" He walked over to where the molds were and sat it inside of the already starting forge. Then, he walked over the celestial bronze, but it into a metal bucket, and pushing that passed the mold. Since he was immune to fire and extreme heat, the flames didn't bother Malcolm. Not in the slightest. "Now we wait."
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/14/2016, 10:49 pm

Daniel was still embarrassed when Malcom began talking. He wasn't normally so absentminded, but he was out of his element. He had never really considered the complexity of creating tools and weapons. "Four and two thirds would be great! Yeah, I don't know what other metal I would want." He watched Malcolm move around, preparing everything.

When the son of Hephaestus pushed the bucket beyond the mold, Daniel's eyes widened. He had definitely not expected to see Malcolm act so casual with flames licking around his hands. When he didn't comment on it, the son of Demeter relaxed a bit. It must be a gift from Hephaestus, he supposed. "About how long does it usually take to melt the metal down?" He wanted to know if he had enough time to run back to cabin 4 to start on the cookies. Malcolm would probably be hungry after doing all the work on the staff. Although maybe Malcolm would want to talk to pass the time.
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/14/2016, 11:37 pm

Malcolm thought for a moment. "I don't know. A few minutes maybe? Maybe an hour or two. I haven't really thought about it." His eyebrows were knitted together, but then he relaxed and shrugged his shoulders. He walked back to his workbench and sat down with a heavy sigh, sketching the reaping blade of the scythe. He wanted to make sure that everything was perfect. He had a reputation at Camp Half-Blood to uphold. With his left hand, he touched his camp necklace, fiddling with the main bead that had an anvil with a hammer smashing into it to represent his father. He had five beads total.
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/14/2016, 11:51 pm

Daniel stared blankly for a second, wondering how Malcolm didn't know exactly how long it would take, until he realized he was the same way during a harvest. Malcolm had walked back to his workbench and was sketching out the blade, again easily beating anything Daniel could do. He was still fascinated with the detail the gentle giant included. He couldn't imagine how the finished product would look. "You really love forging, huh?"

The son of Demeter wasn't sure what to do, so he stood around, trying to stay out of the way.
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/15/2016, 1:53 pm

Malcolm smirked. "It's a real passion of mine. I think it's more so my genetic makeup, but still. There's nothing else I rather be doing than getting my hands dirty; covered in soot, grease and sweat." He continued to sketch out the blade portion of the scythe as he talked. "I'm sure it's like your love for gardening and agriculture. Sometimes I wish I had a green thumb. Sometimes I wish I was as musically gifted as the Apollo kids and even sometimes I wish I had the beauty and allure of the Aphrodite and Eros kids, but then I remind myself that I'm meant to be who I am."

The son of Hephaestus smiled faintly as he stopped sketching out the blade. He looked over at Daniel, then behind him at an empty seat. "Oh, let me get that for you." The eighteen year old demigod lumbered over to the seat and moved it over so that Daniel didn't have to stand. "There you are." Now with that solved, he went back to his original position and sat down, tapping the side of his thumb on the table. "So, where are you from?"
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/17/2016, 6:30 pm

Daniel laughed when Malcolm smirked. "I think all of us have our talents and skills. I think you're right about being meant to be who you are." He took the seat that Malcolm brought over with a sheepish grin on his face. "Just because we're good at things doesn't mean we'll always enjoy them, you know?"

"I'm from Adams County, in Ohio. It's out in the middle of nowhere. Tons of farmland, forests, fields, rivers... It's a great place for someone like me. My house doesn't even have a driveway." Daniel smiled, his gaze faraway before he snapped back to reality. "How about you? Where are you from?"
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/17/2016, 7:12 pm

"That's true. Just because our god parents specialize in something doesn't mean we have to be the same way." He paused for a second. "Although it does come more naturally." Malcolm put the small pencil behind his ear and turned his attention to Daniel.

Malcolm raised an eyebrow. "I don't think I've heard of Adam County, but I've heard of Ohio! I mean, of course I have." He laughed after he said that, shaking his head a bit. "I'm from Alabama. So happy to be away from the deep south for...reasons." He decided not get into that subject.
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/17/2016, 7:55 pm

"Exactly!" He smiled a bit, thinking about how when he learned about Demeter, he thought it made sense, even though there were certain traits and skills he hadn't inherited.

"It's a really nice place. Everybody looks out for each other, and there's not a lot of distractions. Sadly, some of the people are a bit... Well there's not a whole lot of nice words to describe them." Daniel focused a bit more on Malcolm's reluctance to talk about the south. I've heard that Alabama looks nice, but I doubt I would get along with a lot of people there. No offense, of course." In the back of his mind, he was wondering if the people there were the same as the older citizens of Adams County. Most of them were incredibly intolerant, and it never failed to irritate him.
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/18/2016, 12:57 pm

Malcolm sighed, scratching the back of his neck. "Well, unfortunately there are still people who are stuck in the past. I really wish that they would. I'm so much more than the melanin concentration of my skin..." He closed his eyes for a brief second before reopening them. "Anyway, uh, at least being here at camp, we have a more diverse atmosphere. I doubt I'll be moving back to Alabama anytime soon." He chuckled without humor.
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/18/2016, 4:12 pm

Daniel grimaced sadly. He had hoped that what he heard about a good amount of the south wasn't true, but in this case, it appeared that it was. "A lot of people are stuck in the past everywhere I guess..." His words sounded a bit mournful. He had seen his own share of hate and it broke his heart.

"If anyone messes with you, they're going to catch a scythe to the face though." Daniel's voice was surprisingly angry, his mood had taken a sharp turn. He hated seeing anyone treated differently or poorly. Malcolm didn't really need to say much for him to understand. Adams County was a place that didn't have much tolerance for anybody that was different. It was only the younger generations that showed a bit of decency. "Hopefully, if you ever do move back, they'll treat you the same as everyone else. Or at least leave you alone." The tanned farmer gave a quick smile of sympathy before his eyes flicked to his own hands. Maybe he had said too much, but he didn't want the kind blacksmith to feel so alone. He must have carried a lot of pain, and he likely still carried it. "I was, uh, always made fun of when my dad and I went to town." He cleared his throat. "They said my mom was... Well all sorts of bad stuff. They picked on me for never hanging out with other kids. Thought I was weird for working so much." His voice grew quiet. "Made fun of us for being poor."
    Green
    Green
    Loyal Member

Male

Post by Green 7/18/2016, 4:51 pm

was at first startled by the sudden sign of aggression, but quickly realized that it wasn't directed at him. He gave him a warm smile and looked back down at the scythe blueprint. "Thank you, Daniel. That means a lot, y'know." He never had really close friends at camp. Mostly just people he talked to in while forging and sometimes in the library when architecture or engineering came up. "Yeah, I just want to be treated well without people making assumptions about me." Malcolm sighed heavily, feeling stressed out about everything. "Even when I graduated two years early and at the top of my class, people had negative things to say about it. Some people can never be satisfied..."

He turned his attention back to Daniel, frowning when he told him about his life prior to coming to camp. "That's horrible." Malcolm balled his fists some, then relaxed. "If only people understood that our parents are gods, they would treat us with more respect. Either out of fear or adoration. Probably fear." Malcolm softly rested his hand on Daniel's shoulder. "They shouldn't have done that, making fun of you. You deserve better, Daniel, than that. You have a kind heart like me. You love working as do I just on different things. You prefer seeds and soil while I prefer gears and anvils."
    Celtaeus
    Celtaeus

Male

Post by Celtaeus 7/18/2016, 7:11 pm

Daniel nodded in agreement with Malcolm. There were a lot of people out there that judged each other, or had preconceived ideas about others based on the littlest things. Things that others usually couldn't control, and shouldn't feel like they had to. He glanced up at Malcolm when the son of Hephaestus spoke again. Malcolm was a good guy. Life was hard, and he never really expected much more than quiet sympathy or pity. Rarely did he meet anyone who could actually understand to a certain degree, even if their situations were different.

With a sigh and a shrug, he gave half a grin. "On the plus side, since I learned my mom is Demeter, we've had the biggest crops in the county." At that his grin broadened and he nodded his head. "Take all the crap they give and put whatever you need to into what you love. Easiest way to shut them up." Holding back from pulling the burly son of Hephaestus into a hug, he said "And thanks. Most people don't talk to me enough to think I'm anything more than a workaholic. Which isn't really off the mark I guess." He chuckled a bit. He had switched topics slightly, but he wasn't super comfortable talking about a lot of his past outside of the farm.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/19/2024, 6:14 am