A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

2 posters

{Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover} {P.}

Assiduousg
    Assiduousg

Female
    Number of posts : 29
    Registration date : 2014-12-27

{Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover} {P.} Empty {Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover} {P.}

Post by Assiduousg 1/9/2015, 4:58 pm

It's the time of day when Leon can actually grasp hold of his thoughts and think to himself. He can pause and let his mind wander as he sits at the worn down table, quietly reading. If he tries he can hear the distant murmur of the campers as they pass by the building and fade away. They sound muffled and excited through the thick walls and the piles of dust covered books yet he ignores them. He breathes through his nose as he scans the words in front of him, his right hand holding the edge of the page and he can feel the rough texture of it against his fingers. They twitches his pointer finger to make sure he's not entirely numb and blinks in acknowledgement. Neck hurting slightly he raises his head and feels the back of his neck with his other hand. Swallowing down the bitter taste of disappointment as he sees no body else, but the few Athena kids who occasionally come by whenever he's here.

His fingers are gripping the pages, but he pays no mind to them. Mainly due to the fact that his eyes hurt and he's been stuck on the last chapter for the past 20 minutes. Sighing to himself he brings his fingers from the page and closes it. He's forgotten the title of the book by now, but it doesn't matter anymore. This is his third week at Camp and he's already been through 12 books. The titles don't matter to him anymore. Neither does the plot. He'll spend hours trudging through a book he doesn't like just to get camp over with.

The leather feels cold underneath his hand despite the fact that he's been reading it for a while now. He glances to his left only for it to be obscured by a mountain of books, all different colors and different sizes, and frowns. He can hear the whispered chatter of the Aphrodite girls who just came in though he doubts it was for the books judging from the fact that the librarian had to shush them multiple times for giggling too loudly.

Shrugging off the tension in his back he quietly stands up and breathes through his mouth sending loose a pile a dust that was already scattered there on the table. He sniffs and says a quick sorry as the librarian shushes him and makes his way for the door. He pauses before he pushes his chair in and glances down at the book. He raises an eyebrow and picks it up before deciding to take it with him. The main character is really nice anyway...Cool guy to hang with.

He doesn't really pay attention to the layout of the library. Mainly due to the fact that he's been here so many times he's kinda of just...gone with the flow. He likes the calm aura that surrounds this place and how it's so different from the hustle and bustle of camp and it's activities. He likes the dust that gets in his hands and makes him want to claw his eyes out at times and old smell that reminds him of ancient times. Though something else was in there too that made him come back. It was a haven to him. A piece that made him think less about his insecurity and his problems.

Passing by the front desk he gave a nod towards the librarian who in turn didn't look up from their book. Typical reaction really, but he was only being polite.

As he pushed through the front door he could feel the sinking pit of his stomach going deeper and deeper until his breathing became slightly faster. His mind started to whirl at the possibilities as he gave a reluctant push and he had to close his eyes for a brief second as the sun streamed in.

It's always the smell that gets to him first and he'll never forget it. The smell of strawberries with the undertone of something that he couldn't identify. Not before and certainty not after he came to camp. He swallowed back the nervous burp that threatened to come out. He opened his eyes quickly letting the camp seep into his brain before he fully registered everything that happened. Of course everything had changed from this morning. It was only natural for everyone to settle in on the third week at camp before the real fun began. Something in the back of his mind told him it was Tuesday with strong relief before he had to participate with the camps "games" every Friday.

Campers were everywhere. The orange T shirts seemed to fly back and forth as the ran across the clearing either running or to chat with friends. The air seemed warmer than the day before, but he paid no mind to it as he closed the door behind him and began the way down the polished white steps and onto the grassy path that surrounded the interior and exterior of the camp. The cabins seemed to taunt him in the distance with their normally passive air {if you don't count the Big Three cabins} as if he weren't cool or strong enough to be part of their clan of non mortals or whatever. He saw his own cabin in though he couldn't make out the details, but he would always recognize it from wherever he was was. Either it be from outside the camp or from pictures. Regardless it was etched into his memory from the day he was claimed.

Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female
    Number of posts : 2302
    Registration date : 2014-12-31

{Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover} {P.} Empty Re: {Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover} {P.}

Post by Kwacken 1/9/2015, 6:51 pm

Evander never liked the library, it always made him feel stupid, like his mind didn't work on a high enough level for paper. Just walking near the building hyped up his insecurity, which was probably more than it should have been. Lots of demigods had trouble reading. So why was there a library?!

The son of Ares shoved his hands in his pockets as he walked, and then he saw a flash of pink hair. A grin formed on his face, he impulsively bounded towards the fellow camper with a burst of speed. "Brother!" He boomed, "How are you taking to camp? Enjoying the library? You've gone there every day."

To be honest, he didn't truly know this new kid well, Leon Harris had been claimed a few weeks ago. No one had talked to him much yet, trying to get a feel for what looked like a misclaimed kid. At least when Evander was claimed, he could understand. Leon on the other hand had no outward appearances of a child of the war god. Or inward similarities. He was kind, quiet, not very impulsive, he matched every description of Aphrodite, except having a mortal mother.

Assiduousg
    Assiduousg

Female

{Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover} {P.} Empty Re: {Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover} {P.}

Post by Assiduousg 1/10/2015, 12:25 am

As a kid Leon would never have guessed in his wildest dreams that the stories his mother told him were actually true. That monsters were real and everything about the ancient world that he was taught was more terrifying and wild. He swallowed as he shook down the agonizing panic that threatened to take over as he remembered the flash of yellow eyes, sharp teeth, and lizard like skin that reached out to him and plucked him out of the wonderful daydream he once had.

Suddenly his heart paced faster in his chest and the air seemed to chill him deep to his bones before he could stop it. He gritted his teeth and let out a heavy breathe as if he felt weight pressing on top of him. he cursed everything around him. He cursed the camp, the satyrs, the monster, but most of all he cursed his father who had left them with little to no warning at all about the dangers he would face. Get over it, A voice seemed to say in his head, but was soon chased away by another. No, I can still feel the claws and...and...the darkness....why wouldn't I just WAKE UP.

Before he could fully shake it out completely he heard a voice call to him. Another panic, the thought seemed cross into his mind as he shivered despite the warm air. Pinching himself to rid of the thoughts of...it or whatever it was, he blinked back as the darkness went away from the edges of his mind and he seemed to be grounded back to reality. For now at least.

Glancing around, Leon knew he had heard a voice. He blinked back tears and forced a small smile as he spotted one of his...brothers. He still wasn't used to having brothers or sister yet so he was little slow on the idea of knowing that your father had not one kid. But tons. Resentment battled over him, but it soon went away as guilt soon overcame him.

This was Evander Ajax. No one to be angry at or resentful. Leon gathered what little knowledge he had of him before replying. Evander looked like the typical Ares kid. Strong, impulsive as seen when he trained with him. {or at least when Leon finally looked up from his books} and had a bad case of ADHD even by demigod standards due to the light reading he had done about the demigod body from the book, "How Not To Get Killed By Monsters and What Your Toothbursh can Do Against A Raging Minotaur!" he forgot who the author was and only remembered because of the confusing title. Note: Not a fun thing to read on the first day of camp.

Even then he didn't really know much about him except that he was generally nice to people. Leon suddenly felt self concisouse about his small body and pink hair against this...real child of Ares.

"Hey Evander, uhhh, yeah camp's good I guess. The scenery is a change from what I'm used to and...whatever." the words came out in a nervous rush. "Oh, about that. I just kinda think it's interesting you know? Reading about the real story of things and how they came to be...anyway how are you? You've been here for a long time..." the last sentence came out quietly almost to himself.
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 1/10/2015, 1:02 am

"Nah, I've only been here a year, Leon. Others have far more experience." Evander said genially, bouncing on his toes slightly. It was one of his ways to expend energy. Leon looked like he had seen a ghost, but Evander knew that look too. The first few months, everything seemed surreal. Everything felt strange.

He patted the other child of Ares on the back. "It takes time, Leon. Everyone takes time to adjust. Hell, I'm not entirely sure that I have gotten used to this all. I know I haven't decided Ares isn't a jerk yet. It takes time." Well, to be honest, he would probably always think Ares was a jerk. "But, one thing of Ares and his children, is family. Protection of family, care for family. And you, Leon, are family. Even if your hair doesn't match your shoes today."
    Assiduousg
    Assiduousg

Female

Post by Assiduousg 1/10/2015, 2:00 pm

Leon almost fell forwards as Evander patted his back and had to fight somewhat to keeo his balance. He smiled as he listened to his words and felt the anxiety and tension leave his body a little bit, but he still felt apprehensive about everything. He swallowed back an embarrassed laugh as he glanced down at his shoes and frowned slightly.

"Hey, it's not my fault if they give us horrible shoes...I'm not really a runner anyway." Looking at his solid black runners designed for escaping monster silently, he gagged as he raised a hand and pushed it through his hair. The soft pink locks sliding against his hand and he suddenly found himself cursing the starter pack that Chiron had given him when he first came to camp.

He titled his head up and smiled at Evander shyly before glancing away and looking at the library behind them."Where were you headed if you don't mind me asking." Now that was in a conversation he might as well practice his people skills.
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 1/10/2015, 5:52 pm

Evander chuckled, "Relax about the shoes. I was joking. As for where I was going..." He looked around carefully, his eyes darting everywhere to see if anyone was listening. It didn't look like it. He took a deep breath, feeling a little more than nervous. "I was gonna sneak into the Game Room and watch Disney cartoons." He said quietly and very quickly.

It was one of his decidedly non-Ares traits. He loved them. Actually almost any animated movie. Emperor's New Groove, Lilo & Stitch, Robin Hood, Shrek, the Crowds, it didn't matter. He loved them. As he got older he saw some more humor in them. The humor he missed as a kid. He related to some characters more. They tended to be more relatable than demigods anyway, even if they were usually talking animals.

"Ah, but, um, there was something I wanted to talk to you about. Your sword fighting. With a long sword. I think you may do better with a shorter sword."
    Assiduousg
    Assiduousg

Female

Post by Assiduousg 1/10/2015, 9:02 pm

Leon certainty wasn't expecting Disney for an answer, but he shook it away and nodded to himself. Even he had to admit that Disney movies were awesome...even if he couldn't sit through the Lion King without crying his eyes out. He decided not to comment and leave him to it and mumbled a, that's nice, to him.

"My sword? Oh, I'm not really interested in the whole slicing and dicing thing, but thanks anyway. I have an appointment with one of the Hephaestus kids about my...uh...weapon training anyway." He scratched at the back of his head and frowned. There was no such appointment actually. He just didn't want to seem like the kinda of camper who just wandered about camp watching. Though Evander had a point about his sword, but he felt as though his longsword had already left him a bad taste in his mouth about them.

His longsword was the first thing that made him truly realize that this was his world now. The monster attack left him dazed and scared to go out into the world which he had always thought was safe from things like that. Things that weren't meant to exist or obey any science laws he knew. He remembered it now. How the weapon felt in his hands, too heavy for him to be comfortable with and too big for him to swing it correctly. The feeling of security and amazement has left a burning sensation in his mind that made him feel powerful and strong if only for a few minutes if not seconds.

It made him feel like he actually had a chance at getting back at the monster who had almost killed if only he had been 2 inches closer. It made him feel that if he were strong enough and went on a few quests that maybe he could confront his father himself. He'd laugh at himself back then and even now at how stupid his daydreams were. How naive to think that he might be the next....it hushed himself. It was a lot of demigods biggest dreams and some even spent their entire lives preparing for that moment to come. To a select few every 100 years or maybe even for the next 500. Either way he wasn't different from them. Now his dream was to survive long enough to see his 30th birthday.Maybe 40 if he were lucky.
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 1/10/2015, 10:04 pm

"Oh? Thinking of a different type of weapon? Your frame would.probably make you a fabulous archer, but you also look fast enough for a knife." Evander said, then he paused for a second. Leon didn't look like much of a fighter, and in truth, Evander could understand. At times, a lot of times, he despised the aggressive side of himself.

"I tell you what, brother, slicing and dicing isn't your style, we will find something that is. Something that can protect you." Evander said, patting Leon on the back again. He would help the pink-haired son of Ares, and maybe also help him fit in and settle in. At least as well as Evander had.
    Assiduousg
    Assiduousg

Female

Post by Assiduousg 1/11/2015, 12:20 am

"You think? Alright, thanks....well...do you mind if I watch some Disney movies? I have a couple of hours before the appointment." Leon quickly added. "I won't tell anyone. I know what it's like to have...different activities to enjoy." Leon hoped that it came as well intended as it sounded to himself.

Something that can protect me? Leon thought back to his sword with slight frustration and sighed. Maybe it was time he just got rid of the old thing and went on with his life instead of holding on to it. It was fine weapon he had to admit. Polished celestial bronze with a leather handle that was a comfort to hold onto when he wasn't struggling to hold it in place long enough to land a strike. He raised his hand to wipe away the pink fringe that fell above his eye and smiled to Evander before turning towards the Game Center. He began a short walk before looking back and calling. "Are you coming?"

Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 1/11/2015, 12:49 am

Evander agreed to Leon joining him, he didn't mind. He made a mental note to avoid any Disney movies with strong musical numbers to avoid embarrassing himself. It was one thing to be tough, it was another to be tough and try to hit the high notes for "Tale as old as time".

He jogged slightly to catch up with Leon, who walked fairly fast. "So, aside from reading, what do you like to do?" Evander asked, trying to get a feel for the guy. Fighting was not the answer. Although, if the answer was gardening, Evander wouldn't be much help, he killed every plant he ever tried to grow.
    Assiduousg
    Assiduousg

Female

Post by Assiduousg 1/12/2015, 4:53 pm

Leon grinned despite himself at the question. "I, uhhh, hang out with the nymphs and satyrs sometimes and listen to their stories and even get to go to their homes. They're really interesting people to talk to and they even let me draw them! I know I'm not the most interesting person, but I'm still learning where I fit into this world I guess. And I'm not talking about the mortal world." The word mortal hung in the air for a moment and in his thoughts.

Mortal. He could hear the slight venom in some campers voices as they talked about them. Most didn't care, but some did having already made personal prejudices against them for whatever reason. Personally Leon didn't see it like that. They all had the same blood and the same innards so why get angry over someone who did nothing to you? Leon shook his head, that could go both ways, he thought and laughed softly.

"Enough about me...Let's talk about something else." Leon thoughts for a moment, hands in his pockets and suddenly smiled. "What do you think of this place? I mean Camp Half Blood as a whole?"
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 1/12/2015, 8:45 pm

Evander was quiet for a moment that felt like an eternity as he pondered how to answer that question. "I..." He paused again, trying to form the words to describe that feeling that he had about Camp Half-Blood.

He hated it. He loved it. He resented it. He thought it was awesome. He was in every way conflicted about this "home" he now had. A home which doubled as much as a self-imposed prison. He had run from home to avoid his father, but to avoid juvvie as well, and yet now he was stuck in Camp Half-Blood, not truly free to leave without risk of juvvie again, so he had made his own prison. Then there was the fact that he despised Ares for being his actual father. Maybe life would have been better if he hasn't been a bastard. If there wasn't that resentment which slammed a wedge between himself and his namesake.

On the other hand, Camp Half-Blood was interesting. It had a lot of things that a growing boy could do. He could exhaust himself. There were people here who understood him, more at times than he wanted them to. There were people his age to hang out with. He could do anything at all. Anything but leave.

Evander looked around the camp with a slight longing for escape. He tried to push the thought back down, then shrugged non-commitally. "I sometimes wake up thinking that this was all a strange dream. And it makes me feel empty inside for those few seconds I think that, but also relieved
    Y'know? I mean, things here are all SNAFU. But it's like it's... I don't know. I can't really put it into words how I feel. I'm conflicted."
    Assiduousg
    Assiduousg

Female

Post by Assiduousg 1/15/2015, 4:34 pm

"I-I think I know what you mean. Personally...I don't think this place is what most campers make it out to be honestly. Most of the time I feel as though this place is just using us for the gods' entertainment...Other times I feel as though I should just leave, but I can't because of the rules or something like that." Leon didn't know exactly why he had chosen those words for consideration. They were true, but they were risky. Most people at camp thought of Camp Half Blood as some kind of safe haven where demigods prosper and thrive, but he felt the opposite.

He wondered many times what would happen once he grew to be older {if} and he would have to leave the camp to start his own life. He wondered why they didn't have a plan for adults, but considering that most demigods die at young ages they didn't feel the need to establish one. He heard of Camp Jupiter, but that was out of the question. He felt a lot of things about this place...some good and some bad. As much as he tried to think of it as his second home he just...couldn't. He couldn't stand the fact that they were basically being trained to fight for their lives if something ever happened to them outside of this place. It seemed...morbid almost.

He could be wrong of course, he knew he wasn't the smartest guy in camp, or he could be right somehow. Either way he saw the commitment people put into Camp and admired them. He wished he couldn't have the same fire burning in his blood at the thought of this place being attacked. Maybe it was Zeus' he was angry at....probably, but he did't dare say it aloud.

"I don't know. I guess I'm just stuck here like the rest of us then..." he chuckled to himself darkly before looking up towards Evander. "Have you ever been to Mt. Olympus? I heard some girl talking about it recently."
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 1/16/2015, 12:45 am

"It's not rules. Well, there are rules too, but the thing isn't about rules. Giants, man, and other monsters. They smell us. They hate us, because they can't attack the gods." Evander said as they entered the game room. He ran a hand over his short hair, looking around the crowded room with noises and flashing light. Stimulation and distraction galore.

"I didn't go to Olympus last time. I was afraid I would lose my temper if I talked to Ares." He said, his voice low and quiet. He curled one hand into a fist, then made an effort to unclench it. It was hard to not be angry at Ares, or the gods. The echo of being an used for the gods' entertainment fell too close to home, but more than that, they were the gods' buffers and protectors, minions.

Evander focused his attention on the shelf of movies, his hands running over it, until it landed on one and he snapped it out. "Lilo and Stitch?"
    Assiduousg
    Assiduousg

Female

Post by Assiduousg 1/17/2015, 5:10 pm

"Yeah, I guess that's true. I ust wish the gods could have warned out moms and dads at birth. Maybe tell them the potential threats and dangers we might face as demigods." Leon thought for a minute before adding. "That would have helped at least." Pushing it out of his mind he said a quick yes to Evander and sat down on one of the cushy couches that was closest to the tv speakers.

Sighing as he slowly sank down in the seat he wiggled a bit to get comfortable. The seat seemed to be for someone of regular height and he had a lot of leg space to move. He could even fit his whole body in it without touching the ground. "Oh. Well have you been on any quests? That seems like what everyone is aiming for here..."

To be honest he wasn't sure. He always assumed that everyone was trying to prove their demigod worth, but when he asked a couple of people on his irst week here they all said the same thing. Most wanted to shove it in theior parents faces that they didn't need them. Or just trying to confront them for leaving their parents. For the others he couldn't tell or maybe he was too afraid to ask about something that seemed personal.
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 1/19/2015, 12:41 am

Evander didn't answer immediately, his focus on setting up the DVD. He muttered to himself as he tried to read the instructions to get it going. Finally, it started, and the big guy turned around to face his brother and find his own seat. "I have only been outside of the camp once since I came, and that was the battle of Manhattan during the Titan War. It was very shortly after I got here, and I didn't hardly do anything helpful, killed a hellhound, with help. Don't plan on doing any thing else."

Evander sat down and rubbed the side of his head. "I like to spar. I get angry a lot and fight, but I don't like to fight to hurt or kill. I like it as exercise. I don't see the point of quests just for quests. I would go on one if it meant something, or if I needed to protect someone going on a quest that means something. Y'know? Not just 'ooh, look, I killed three dracanae, how awesome am I?'"
    Assiduousg
    Assiduousg

Female

Post by Assiduousg 1/23/2015, 8:49 pm

"I get what you mean about the quests and all. Besides," Leon waved his hand in the nonchalantly and shrugged. "I guess people just want to prove their worth...or get bragging rights." Breathing in and leaning back against the couch he shifted until he found a comfortable spot and watched Evander pick out the movie.

"I heard about the Battle of Manhattan form the others. From what I heard some kid got angry at his dad for not being there and got others to join him and they wanted to...start something new with Kronos." The word Kronos felt heavy under his tongue for some reason, but he ignored it. Of course he heard about it. It was one of the recent wars with the Titans and with Gaea. Leon wasn't used to hearing talks about war from kids that were near his age, so it startled him a bit when he first heard about it. A bunch of sixteens and seventeens year old (maybe older) all going into war against monsters that have been trying to kill all of them for years.

Leon shivered and thought back to his weapon, Flasher. Maybe he should try and spend a bit more time training just in case something like that happened again...sighing he decided to think about it later and focus on the present conversation with Evander.
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 1/24/2015, 6:19 pm

Evander sighed as the movie started. It wasnt hard to understand the position of the demigods who fought for Kronos. The gods were assholes, wouldn't anything be better? Of course the answer was no. he shifted uncomfortably, tapping his fingers on his thighs. "That's about it. I can see starting a war with your parents. My father, not our father, but you know, the guy we thought was my father, and I almost killed each other. I just don't see bringing other people into it."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/12/2024, 10:11 am