A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

2 posters

Not a whisper to be heard

Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female
    Number of posts : 2302
    Registration date : 2014-12-31

Not a whisper to be heard Empty Not a whisper to be heard

Post by Kwacken 8/22/2015, 10:29 pm

Leandra limped up to her mother's small shrine, no longer using a cane. She had a small basket of fruit for offering, but didn't really feel like making an offering. She had thought her feelings about her mother were getting better after the backpack, and the solstice visit. She had thought they had a connection, and maybe she would get over her resentment. That didn't seem to be the case today.

It's been said many times that hospitals hear more earnest prayers than the inside if churches. For Leandra that had not been inaccurate. Once she had finished praying to recover, her prayers had turned in earnest towards Angerona, her mother, to take her anguish. Or at least release it some.

Everything, like always with her mother, it was all silence. "Hey, mom, it's me again. Still can't sleep. I know you said that the past was just memories, and feelings can't hurt you, but..." Leandra's voice cracked, and her eyes stung. It was hard for her to force the words. She didn't want to cry. Romans weren't weak. Romans hated weakness. Crying from self-pity and frustration was definitely weakness, but she didn't know how strong she actually was. Not as strong as Rome expected her to be. She wasn't. She focused her frustration to a less weak feeling. Anger. Anger Romans understood.

"But you don't understand! How could you?! You're a goddess! I'm fifteen, mom! Fifteen! I don't know how to handle everything!" Leandra snapped, yelling at the statue self-indulgently. She grabbed one of the oranges from the basket and threw it angrily. "I can't handle everything! And you fix men',s anguish! But where are you for me?! I can't... I just... I can't...
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Not a whisper to be heard Empty Re: Not a whisper to be heard

Post by Morgan Landry 8/30/2015, 4:45 pm

It wasn't like Tiberia to leave the castra at night, or at least that was what a majority of legionnaires thought. When she went to bed with sore muscles every night, her pillow felt like the sweet valleys of Elysium. However every now and again she liked to sneak out, be it to enjoy a swim in the lake, admiring the lights of New Rome or simply to watch the stars.

However tonight she snuck out again, and it wasn't to take in the view.

Staying as silent and discreet as possible, Tiberia followed the dark silhouette of Leandra which kept fading away into the darkness. The girl had woken her up when she had gotten out of bed in the middle of the night, and given her obvious distress, Neptune's granddaughter had decided to follow her.

Her stride led her down the Via Praetoria and up to the Temple Hill, where the shrines in constructions looked menacing in the braziers' flickering lights. But what set her off were the shouts she heard, and Tiberia quickened her pace. There was Leandra, standing in Angerona's brand new shrine, tossing fruits at the statue.

"Wow, wow," Tiberia said, hurrying out of the darkness. "Careful, sister."
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 8/30/2015, 6:01 pm

Leandra stopped mid-throw, and mid-rant when she heard Tiberia's voice. Cold fear ran quickly through her veins as she turned to look at her friend, but also her optio. "Tiberia..." She lowered the apple she was holding, swallowing hard. Tib wasnt exactly, Leandra knew she would come to Temple Hill, but not at this hour. Not to this shrine.

Leandra's mind worked overtime, first wondering how Tiberia had slipped up without her noticing. Then wondering how bad the inevitable flogging would hurt. Even though they were fast friends, Leandra didn't get away with everything, and she imagined throwing fruit at a goddess ranked high enough on the severity scale, even if her mother completely deserved an orange to her face. That and violating curfew. "This isn't what it looks like. Or... It didn't start out...I...I..." She looked down and away, not willing to meet her friend. Her face burned with shame, it's color returning. "I...Tib...I have no excuse. I just..." She shifted her position uncomfortably, trying to keep a host of emotions under control. Romans did not show weakness. Romans did not show weakness. Romans did not show weakness. Why was her lip quivering and her eyes burning? She shifted again, keeping her gaze on the marble at her feet. She was not going to hurt burst into tears in front of Tibby or her mother. Romans did not show weakness. Damnit.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 8/31/2015, 1:50 pm

Tiberia held up her hands. She was still in her pajamas aka a green tank top and black work out shorts. "Don't worry. You only went to Temple Hill so I'm just gonna give you dish washing duty tomorrow. But tell me.. what's wrong?"

Other teenagers would probably never have done it, but Tiberia was Roman and applied rules like she breathed. If she didn't put them in action, why should anyone want to see her as a leader? Of course, obeying to authority herself was a tough thing, but she restricted herself to obeying the Legion and only the Legion. Maybe the gods too. On Tuesdays.
    Otherwise, authority could hit the road.

"I never saw you lose control like that. Is it... because of your leg?"
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 9/1/2015, 3:49 am

Leandra took a deep breath, still overwhelmed by emotions as she fought to answer the question. "It's...it's not, but it is, but.. It's not." She set the basket of fruit down, dropping the apple into the basket. "It isn't about the leg, Tibia. I...have you ever known, been absolutely certain, that you were about to die? Because... I was...and I can't. I can't shake it. I..." She ran a hand over her dark kinky hair.

The daughter of Angerona looked up at friend, hesitant to meet her eyes. She was ashamed to feel so overwhelmed. Ashamed to not be in control of her feelings. To be weak. "I keep seeing it. Hearing it.... The fear, it... I can't. I can't handle it. I just... I don't sleep. I feel paranoid. My heart races like a chariot whenever I even think about it, and that's... I can't not think about it." The girl wrapped her arms around herself defensively. Would Tiberia understand at all? Or was she completely losing her mind?
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/1/2015, 1:08 pm

Tiberia swept over and gathered Leandra into a hug, holding her gently but firmly.

"Leandra." The demigod stroked her friend's hair slowly. "Hold on to this moment. Focus on the present. How many grass blades can you see over there? How brightly do the braziers shine?"

She knew from experience that the best way not to get stuck in the past was to focus on the ongoing moment, on sounds, on feelings, on visuals. Tiberia herself had been in Leandra's position, hundreds of times. Every time she had had to ward off a monster, that one moment in death ball when she could've sworn that fire ball was about to roast her, the time she fell off her eagle....
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 9/1/2015, 2:23 pm

Tib's embrace was warm and comforting, like a protective shield against everything bad. Leandra took a deep breath, trying to calm herself as she looked at the grass, listening to her friend. She tried to focus on counting, but her eyes burned. Focus on the present. She couldn't. She felt like a failure at not even being able to do that. She took another deep breath, then dissolved into tears, burying her face awkwardly in Tiberia's shoulder. "I'm trying. I just..I'm so t-tired. I can't k-keep going on, Tib." She half-said and half-sobbed to her friend. Shame made her chest heave harder.

"And...I've spent m-my entire life t-taking other's pain. Wh-why can't someone help me with mine? Why do I have to carry everything alone?" Words she had often thought, but rarely expressed. She didn't care. She just wanted relief.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/2/2015, 4:34 am

Tiberia held her close to her in the cool night air, stroking her hair with affection. Hugging the sobbing girl, she felt angry all at once. Leandra was so strong, so brave. So young. It was unfair that she should suffer so much, her out of anyone. Demigod life was hard enough without having to feel everybody else's pain too, what were the Moirae thinking? Lupae, she angrily thought, which would surely attract their wrath. But she didn't care. She just wanted to protect Leandra, protect her from any harm coming her way.
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 9/2/2015, 6:58 am

Leandra wasn't sure how long she cried, or that Tiberia held her. After a while, she stopped, regaining control, though now her head hurt and her nose was stuffy. She sniffled awkwardly. To be honest, she wasn't sure what she would have done without Tibby, who had always managed to be there for her. Would she have just thrown fruit at Angerona until she was smote? Or collapsed in self-pitying sobbing alone? She took another breath and then felt her diaphragm spasm into a hiccup.

"Thank you. For... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have lost my composure like that." Leandra said quietly, though she didn't move away from Tiberia's sisterly embrace. "Thank you. I've been trying to handle this alone for weeks. And I..." She was interrupted again by an hiccup. "These hiccups are gonna make it hard to sound dignified..." She said, a wry smile forming.

The younger Roman didn't continue her previous train of thought. She didn't know exactly what she had intended to say. That she still didnt know what she was going to do? That she felt like there was something seriously wrong? That flashbacks from her first day at camp, and then from the recent incident assaulted her and blurred together at times?

"Please don't tell the others..."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/7/2015, 4:03 am

"Sh," Tiberia whispered, "it's alright. Don't apologize. You're stronger than you think you are."

Still holding her, Tiberia slowly rubbed her friend's arms and back to keep her warm. "Leandra, I'm not telling anyone and you know it."
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 9/7/2015, 7:34 pm

Leandra hiccuped again and she moved back a little, so she could look up at Tiberia's face. "I don't feel strong, Tib, I feel broken. I don't know...something happened when... I, I just froze. Terrified. And...I, I just remembered the h-hellhound from when I first, first came to Camp. I never got over that first one...and then this...and I... I just, I...I keep seeing it. Feeling it. Over and over. Anytime I close my eyes. I don't feel strong, Tibby. I feel violated. I feel like I'm losing my mind."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/9/2015, 9:27 am

Tiberia looked at her, a light, concerned frown creasing her brow.

"Leandra... putting up with all this was the bravest thing I have ever seen you do. And trust me, you're not the only one who's afraid. Fear is normal," she told her. "But thinking about it will not make it go away, only actions will. You have to overcome it, like an obstacle in death ball. You've got to face it, that's the only way to truly get it out of the way."
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 9/9/2015, 10:45 am

Leandra stepped back, frustration running through her at Tiberia's words. She ran her hands through her dark hair, almost frustrated enough to pull it out like those cartoons. "That's the problem, Tibby! I don't know how to get past it. I don't know. It's worse than any monster, even the one that caused it. I don't know how to get past it. I don't know what actions to take. I'm stuck. I don't know! I don't know! If I knew, do you think I would be here?! I don't know how to go past it! And Legion training, Roman ways, don't be weak. Be strong. Be disciplined. Destroy something before it can hurt you. I can't destroy this. I can't attack it. I don't know how to do this, Tib! You're asking me to attack something that...I don't know how to fight. And I can't. I can't not think about it and do something when I don't know what the hell it is I'm suppose to do!"

She stopped, realizing that she was raising her voice again. Leandra looked down at the floor, blushing. "I'm sorry... I just...I don't know what to do."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/14/2015, 11:19 am

"Look. Leandra." Tiberia squeezed her tighter. "I didn't mean to sound like a soapy teen movie, my bad. What I meant to say is, you're scared of hellhounds, for example. You have to practice fighting them. Once you learn the most effective ways to kill them, once you've beaten dozens, and dozens of them, they won't seem that threatening anymore. Then your fear will gradually fade away." She took Leandra's chin in her hand gently. "Go to Romulus. He's good with the Mist, he can make illusions of hellhounds. That should be a good start for practice."
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 9/15/2015, 10:36 am

Leandra whimpered at the suggestion of having Romulus make mist forms of the hellhounds. A few weeks ago she would have whimpered at the thought of asking Romulus for help after the disastrous time when he found out about her crush on him. Now she still felt an embarrassed feeling, but it was overwhelmed by the feeling of fear at just the idea of seeing a hellhound. Did Tiberia not understand? Did she not get just what she was asking of her?

Leandra focused her eyes back to Tib's dark eyes from staring blankly in terror. She saw concern and care. That made her suggestion all the worse. Tibby got stubborn when she felt she was right, Leandra knew that she would never be able to convince the granddaughter of Neptune that this was a horrible idea. Still, she knew she couldn't just do that. "Tib, I...d-don't make me. I can't. I can't handle it. You don't understand. I, it's, I,... Don't make me. Please. I'm begging you. No hellhounds. Don't. I can't. I'm not strong enough. I'm not as strong as you think I am. Don't...please. Please. Punish me, flog me, banish me. Just don't make me face hellhounds."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/21/2015, 6:22 am

"You're not strong enough? Then make yourself strong enough. Toughen up." The concerned glint in Tiberia's eyes had turned to steel; she grabbed her shoulders. "You can't cry about your life here throwing stuff at your mother's statue, and then not want to do anything about it. If you're not ready to change things, then you might as well buy out the tissues' supplies at the Trajan Mall, cause you're gonna need all of them, and more. What are the Legion's words, Leandra?"
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 9/21/2015, 8:12 am

Leandra was jarred by Tiberia grabbing her shoulders roughly, and ashamed as well. Still, the older girl didn't really understand exactly how terrifying this was to Leandra. Then her optio asked for the Legion's words. Years of training overrode all conscious thought. She stepped back out of Tiberia's grip, going to a military attention as she replied in her loudest yell. "SUMUS LEGIONE DUODECIME FULMINE! AUT VINCERE AUT MORI! WE ARE THE TWELFTH LEGION THUNDERBOLT! CONQUER OR DIE!"

Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/21/2015, 10:22 am

"Shh, not so loud!" Tiberia hissed. She hoped Leandra hadn't woken the fauns up, the company of their goat-legged beggars was the last thing she needed right now. "But yes, aut vincere aut mori. Conquer or die. Either you conquer that fear Leandra, or it conquers you. There's no middle field. There's no coexisting with a threat. Either you eat it or it eats you. And I will not let it eat you, so I will shove it down your throat if I have to, is that clear?"
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 9/21/2015, 3:01 pm

Leandra stared at Tib for a while, long enough to make it uncomfortable. She couldn't entirely believe what Tiberia was saying, even though it was totally something she would say and do. There were no shades of grey for Tiberia, she was one of the few embodiments of the perfect Roman soldier. Leandra averted her eyes to the ground, her face reddening with shame again. "Alright. I will talk to Romulus...but what if it doesn't work? Or it makes it worse?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/21/2015, 5:19 pm

"If it doesn't work, you keep going until it does. If it makes it worse, we'll find something else."

Tiberia let go of Leandra's shoulders and gave her a nod. "Go back to the barracks, sister. We have War Games tomorrow, you'll need all the sleep you can get."
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 9/22/2015, 2:38 pm

Leandra nodded, but sighed as well. She had no desire to go back.to the barracks, where she would inevitably spend the rest of the night hugging Toby and praying for memories to leave her in peace. The anxiety of what Tiberia was going to make her do with Romulus would probably not help ease her into sleep either. "Aye, aye. But do you have anything to help sleep come? I haven't slept but a few fits and dozes in weeks. That's why I came here."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/24/2015, 4:15 pm

"Take a pill from the infirmary and pray to Somnus. Or bat your eyelids really quickly, it tires your eyes and makes the sleep come fast."

Tiberia looked ahead, her gaze traveling to Neptune's shrine. It was getting renovated, with a new portico, a dome, and actual columns, all white marble adorned with blue and gold. "I'll see you later, Leandra," she said, turning away and walking towards a nearby boulder, sitting on it in her shirt and sweatpants.
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female

Post by Kwacken 9/30/2015, 9:24 pm

Leandra sighed heavily as Tiberia walked away. She grabbed the basket of fruit and placed it gently at the base of the shrine. "Sorry, mom." She muttered quietly as she wrapped her arms around herself protectively. The idea of going through with everything tortured her, but did it torture her more than what had already happened?

She headed back for the barracks slowly, knowing that Somnus would likely not answer her prayers any more than Angerona did. The gods only answered prayers when it suited them most. Why do it for someone who is weakened by their own mind?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/2/2024, 7:34 pm