A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

2 posters

something (wicked?) this way comes

honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female
    Number of posts : 3396
    Registration date : 2011-11-12

something (wicked?) this way comes Empty something (wicked?) this way comes

Post by honey 2/6/2022, 6:22 pm

Saki had had high hopes for the beginning of her experience at New Rome and specifically NRU - although after years of training young Greek demigods and searching for those who were lost, unknowing of their godly heritage, she was also kind of nervous for how new everything would be. So she had walked into the open door of her dorm, a box full of some of her magic tools precariously balanced in her arms. Smiling over the edge of the box, she had greeted her new roommate with a cheerful, "Hi, I'm Saki!" The girl had turned around from fitting sheets on one of the beds, and unsmilingly looked at the box in Saki's arms.

"Is that going to be, like, a thing?" The girl asked after Saki had placed the box down on the empty bed. Saki glanced at the box - there were two large crystals, a raw amethyst and a citrine point, a bunch of thin candles rubber-banded together, a glass bottle half-full of moon water, and two herb plants with their leaves spilling over the edge. "Yes?" Saki said, uncertainly tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "Hm," the girl sniffed, and turned back to her things. Saki stood there awkwardly for another moment before leaving, suddenly feeling discouraged and dejected.

Now she huffed out a sigh, trudging out the door that led to the square. She shoved her hands in her pockets against the cold wind and started walking in the direction of the fountain she thought she'd seen earlier. Maybe she could flip a coin into the mist there and IM her mom. Looking around for a glimpse of the fountain, her eyes caught on a somewhat familiar figure from across the lawn.

"Wait, is that..." she mumbled to herself, squinting, before her eyes widened. Was that Morgan? With a few long strides in the figure's direction, she realized that it definitely was. She couldn't believe it, they hadn't seen each other in at least a couple of years, not since Morgan had left camp for California. "MORGAN?! MORGAN!" she screeched at the top of her considerably powerful lungs, mood soaring as she bolted full speed towards her friend.

Last edited by honey on 2/28/2022, 1:12 am; edited 4 times in total
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

something (wicked?) this way comes Empty Re: something (wicked?) this way comes

Post by Morgan Landry 2/10/2022, 11:38 am

Morgan was on a break. The libraries in New Rome were gorgeous, temple-style buildings with incredible study spaces, but sometimes it could get a bit stuffy. Especially in the summer. Morgan left her things at her desk and decided to take a stroll. She wasn't concerned about people stealing her computer - if something happened, she had cast a location spell on it and refreshed it every day. The thief would get a tailored curse.

As she strolled onto the streets of New Rome, she realized just how glad she was to leave her research behind. It was a beautiful day with a perfect blue sky and warm temperatures pleasantly cooled by occasional winds. Why stay inside by such a tempting weather? Maybe she should go to the baths, enjoy a nice afternoon in the outdoor pools.
    She spotted a stand selling fresh drinks and bought herself an iced lemonade. It was nice to take a break from potions and papyri and just chill out on a bench somewhere. She sat down in a plaza, listening to the kids splashing water at each other by the fountain.
    Sunglasses tipped onto her nose, sporting a t-shirt of the Hekate cabin, she was just about to put her headphones in and relax to some music when her name boomed across the square.

"Morgan? MORGAN!"

Squinting, she leaned up. A Japanese demigoddess in comfy, eclectic clothes was running towards her. Wait... could it be?

"Saki?" She jumped up. "SAKI! Is that really you?"

Abandoning her lemonade, she broke into a sprint and caught the daughter of Apollo in her arms, giving her a big spin. "Oh my gods, I can't believe it! Why didn't you tell me you were here?" She hugged her one more time. "I've missed you!"

Last edited by Morgan Landry on 2/13/2022, 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 2/10/2022, 11:58 pm

something (wicked?) this way comes A7a99c8a9a580fd8c302237f5f051901adca280c

Saki flung herself into Morgan's arms, almost knocking the sunglasses off of the daughter of Hecate's nose. "Oh my gods, it's really you!" she squealed excitedly as she was spun around, arms hooked around Morgan's neck, before taking a half-step away to look at her. "Ahh, I've missed you too - you look so good!" They hugged warmly one last time before she tugged Morgan down to sit back on the bench.

"Well, I would have loved to tell you, but I couldn't! I've been helping Mr. D out with rounding up unclaimed demigods for the past couple of years," Saki explained, and her expression dimmed a bit. "Even after Percy made that deal with the gods there are so many half-bloods running around, so it's been a lot of sometimes dangerous work, but we made it out alright. Anyway, I didn't know you were here either!" Her happy smile was back full-force on her face as she beamed at Morgan. Her fellow witch really did look good - she looked right at home, like she fit in perfectly with the atmosphere of the bright, open plaza. Saki suddenly, fiercely wished that she could look as comfortable at New Rome as Morgan did - even Saki's clothes felt out of place here, her loose patterned sweater too warm for the temperature even though she was also wearing shorts.

Noticing a smudge of ink on Morgan's fingers, recognizing it from whenever she herself scribbled too carelessly on papyrus for a spell, Saki made a curious noise. "How is it, being a witch here? Are you a student?" she asked. Maybe not everyone was as judgmental in New Rome as Saki's unfortunate roommate.

Last edited by honey on 2/27/2022, 9:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 2/12/2022, 6:44 pm

"Oh you must have lived so many adventures, you must tell me about them all!" Morgan said excitedly. "I've had my fair share of trouble on my side, and I'm sorry I didn't keep in touch regularly. I've been so busy here!"

They sat back down on the sunny bench. Morgan couldn't quite believe she was finally seeing Saki again! She had been meaning to contact her for so long but, thanks to inattentive ADHD, she could barely reply to messages let alone send them when she needed to. But now she was here, with her, in New Rome!

"Being a witch here is incredible! You should see the facilities they have here, Saki... I need to show you. It's quite different from Circe's libraries." It wasn't necessarily better, just very different. Circe specialized in Greek magic most of all, and here Morgan was learning all about the Roman style. Curse tablets and magic wells and Latin incantations... It was fascinating to her, and she considered herself extremely lucky to be able to bridge Greek and Roman magic in her studies.

"Yes I'm a student," Morgan slid out her matric card. The picture was a bit outdated and her matriculation number was in Roman numerals but other than that it was pretty run-of-the-mill. "Well, PhD. I'll start teaching next year." She was nervous at the idea of teaching undergrads, but at the same time quite liked the idea of having a captive audience she could infodump to for an hour.
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 2/15/2022, 5:19 pm

something (wicked?) this way comes 633ed63d9d8f946bb17e819ad0ac369dc980a03a

As Morgan spoke, it was as if a huge weight had lifted suddenly from Saki's shoulders, and she physically sank a bit into her seat in relief. Saki could tell Morgan was telling the truth (not that she would ever doubt her!) by the stars in her eyes as she gushed about the university facilities. She was excited to learn a Roman way of doing magic, and incorporating it into Greek magic and her own unique, personal style.

"Ooh," Saki cooed appreciatively, leaning over to peer at Morgan's ID card. "Ahh, my Morgan, a professor?" she said, the lilt of her voice teasing as she reached over to playfully squeeze Morgan's cheeks in her hands - then snatched her hands back before Morgan could whack them off, laughing delightedly.

"I'm so proud of you!" Saki exclaimed, a little more serious, though still beaming. "Maybe I'll take one of your classes sometime... I'm starting my undergraduate degree in linguistics here - I only just started moving my things into my dorm," she said, and her smile flickered. She looked down at her lap, fiddled with the beads on her bracelet. She gave a short laugh, this one slightly forced, and said, "I'm excited, but... well, everything is definitely different than I'm used to."

OOC: Is Morgan's FC still Kaya Scodelario? (I always picture you and character-Morgan as her haha)

Last edited by honey on 2/27/2022, 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 2/20/2022, 5:00 am

"Not a professor, not yet, just a tutor," Morgan laughed. She would only take tutorials, the lectures were still done by the big shot professors. They didn't give that much responsibility to puny doctoral candidates.
    Although, in all honesty, she would love to become a professor. She knew it was tough to get a tenure, even at New Rome University, but it seemed like the kind of job she was cut out for: research on one hand, teaching on the other. She wanted to communicate magical knowledge to bright young demigods, much like Circe had done for Saki and herself. Maybe she could contact her once she got a tenure and organize a semester abroad option for girls, to learn from the sorceress herself on her island...
    She filed that thought away, promising herself she'd come back to it if her academic career ever took off, and focused back on Saki.

"Oh you should totally audit some magic classes! I can get a word in with the head of School, she's my supervisor, so we could totally arrange something," she said excitedly. "You'll see, Roman magic is super cool and .... hey, what's the matter?"

Saki's shoulders had slumped and she looked a bit off, fidgeting with her necklace.

"What do you mean, it's different than what you're used to?", Morgan asked. "Did something happen?"

OOC: I still use her, though now I also use Chabeli Sastre Gonzalez :) She fits my idea of her better

Last edited by Morgan Landry on 3/2/2022, 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 2/28/2022, 6:53 pm

something (wicked?) this way comes 6c6863a313f1060f3b37eeb028fbf7f1c6633c04

At Morgan's concerned tone, Saki felt like the frustration and worry and annoyance was bubbling up inside of her, all the way up from her heart to push against the backs of her teeth. She squirmed a little in her seat for a moment more, and then exploded.

"Actually, yes!" Saki blurted. "Do you remember Jackie, from Circe's isle? Kind of tall, light brown hair, older than us? Well she talked up New Rome so much and I was so excited although I was kind of scared because all I've really known is Japan and Circe and New York and... ah, anyway, I got here and I was just moving in and I said hi to my roommate - over in the dorm closest to the arts building, you know? - and she was so rude!" She puffed up, indignant. Her face heated up, recalling the blunt way her roommate had once-overed her and then dismissed her. She didn't need to be friends with her, she just would like to not have to actively feel uncomfortable around someone she would be living with for the next few months!

"Sa, Morgan, do you know what she said when she looked at my magic tools?" Saki asked, and screwed her face up into a (perhaps exaggerated) resemblance of her roommate's judge-y face - "She said, 'is that going to be a thing?' A thing! As if I couldn't curse her face to be spotty for the entire semester!"

She huffed, shoulders still pulled high and tense, and then - horribly embarrassingly, as she wasn't even all that sad, exactly - burst into tears.

OOC: I think I blacked out and Saki possessed me to write this lol so I guess this is who she is. Morgan's fully welcome to laugh at her ridiculousness haha ALSO "sa" is kind of an attention-grabbing noise in Japanese, like "hey listen," or "get this--"

Last edited by honey on 3/3/2022, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 3/2/2022, 7:42 am

OOC: I love it!

BIC: "You're kidding," Morgan said, just as Saki burst into tears. The daughter of Hekate immediately put her arms around her and gave her a squeeze. "Oh sweetie, I'm sorry," she said in soothing tones. "They're not all like that here, I promise." It was clear that Saki needed a little break. Morgan didn't blame her. Moving to a completely new environment, leaving behind her comfort zone, starting college, adapting to a new city, it was a lot. And a rude, dismissive room mate could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. She stroked Saki's hair, thinking about what she could do to cheer her back up. Student halls were a gamble like that, you could get a roommate you really liked or one you really hated. In her case, she got neither. Her 1st year roommate and her got along reasonably well but were no BFFs for life or anything. The girl - a blonde physics student - was very keen on climbing the socio-academic ladder, always running for student positions, while Morgan preferred to keep her nose in her scrolls and have fun with friends. They got along, but kept out of each other's hair.

"Hey listen, why don't we go visit my department here? I could show you my office, our greenhouses, the potion labs, the libraries... Or we could go back to mine and have some lunch, what do you say?"
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 3/2/2022, 5:37 pm

something (wicked?) this way comes C22d6f3d461b756611f47b3fbef706d84a400bc6

Saki huddled into Morgan's arms, still awfully embarrassed by her outburst but immediately comforted by the hug. She sniffled a little, hastily brushed the last of her tears away from her eyes, and rallied.

"Ah, sorry about that - I think seeing a familiar friendly face was the last straw, today." Saki said with a sheepish grin, then brightened up at Morgan's suggestion. "Really? I'd love that!" She said, eagerly springing up from their seats, holding one of Morgan's hands in her own.

Saki had always sort of looked up to Morgan despite their one-year age difference - she had been immensely glad to become friends with her while training under Circe and to find that they shared common godly ancestry. Excitedly swinging their hands a little, she sighed, content again. "Honestly, I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't found you... I might have cried my eyes out to my mom, maybe," she added, with a little snort of laughter.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 8/1/2022, 7:00 am

“Hey, don’t be sorry,” Morgan said and gave her hands a squeeze. “You can always come to me for anything, no matter how big or small it seems. Okay? I mean it.” She smiled and got up, tugging lightly on Saki’s hand to get up with her. “So! Ready for your VIP tour of New Rome University?”
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 8/18/2022, 2:42 pm

something (wicked?) this way comes 7d7f0ecc097e66ef8c03e1eea3b517fccb8935c9

Saki happily let herself be pulled along by Morgan, as her friend's kind words settled warmly into the vulnerable place in Saki's heart. With a determined nod of her head, she shook off the last remnants of her bad mood.

"Di immortales, I am so ready," she said, grinning. "Show me all your favorite haunts!" As they walked, Saki took in the sights comfortably. Wow, this day could not have gone more differently than she had imagined - months ago when she told Mari she'd decided to move to New Rome (if she concentrated, she could still hear the echo of her girlfriend's excited shrieks in her ear as they'd hugged, hoarse and lovely) Saki had thought that by now she'd be cheerfully getting to know her roommate after having Mari's help moving in. She'd never expected to be snubbed by her roommate or more importantly, to have met Morgan again.

But the more Saki thought about it, following her friend (and kind-of-cousin) and listening to her talk, she decided she actually wouldn't have had it any other way.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 8/18/2022, 6:59 pm

"So we are here near the Porta Capena, it’s a great place to live, a bit on the outskirts but still great in terms of bars and student life," Morgan said as she walked Saki through the neighbourhood. "The faculty has buildings around the place but it’s hear at the Porta - one of the biggest crossroads in New Rome - that I have my lab." Crossroads were important in Greek and Roman magic. Hekate, their shared ancestor, presided over them. They tended to facilitate certain spells, like protection and necromancy. Or, in Morgan’s case, gave potions interesting side-effects.

She kept pointing out the big landmarks to Saki as they passed them. Here a bathhouse. There a triumphal arch. Fragrant gardens. A large mall with cool fashion. Grinning, toga’d mannequins waved at them as they walked past the display windows.

"The thing that took the most getting used to were the Lares," she told Saki hushedly. The purple ghosts had a habit of popping up unexpectedly, dishing outdated advice, or wandering through you like you didn’t exist. She’d had to banish a few from her building with special amulets. "But I completely fell in love with New Rome. I mean, look at this city!" She did a 360 with outstretched arms. "It’s incredible! I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else." She then bumped Saki with a little grin. "Except maybe Circe’s island." With a laugh, she pulled her along to a large, bustling plaza lined with red-tiled buildings. In the middle, a massive marble fountain showed the nine Muses in the middle of a concert, shooting water out of large golden instruments.
    "Are you ready for something cool?" Morgan asked her with a sparkle in her eye.
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 8/24/2022, 10:44 pm

something (wicked?) this way comes D2baca26d31523b35d539cb0c2f3860944539326

Saki listened attentively as Morgan described the places they were walking past, arm hooked through Morgan's. The sun was climbing down, signaling the arrival of the evening. Sure enough, a group of students spilled raucously into a nearby bar, their laughter fading into the growing din of the place.

She perked up at the mention of Morgan's lab. "Your lab!' Saki exclaimed, and tucked her questions away for later as Morgan pointed out the landmarks and pretty architecture. She waved cheekily back at a mannequin, and then froze and shuddered. "Ugh, I already met one of those ghosts," she said with a grimace. It had just gone straight through her when she was carrying her things up the stairs, and the horrible cold feeling almost made her drop a box.

Hearing how much Morgan loved New Rome, though, Saki couldn't help but beam at her friend, nudging her back at the mention of Circe's island. "Are you ready for something cool?" Morgan asked, and the daughter of Apollo giggled. "I was born ready," she agreed.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/2/2022, 10:12 am

Morgan smiled. That's what she wanted to hear. Sliding into an adjacent alley, she pulled an octogonal key from her back pocket and inserted it in the space between the mosaics lining the pavement. Turned it thrice right and once left. The floor clicked and rumbled. Mist pooled out around the feet, flooding the little alley with a fog only the most magic-inclined demigods could see through. Then the floor fell away underneath their feet.

Alright it didn't quite fall away; the spot Morgan and Saki stood on gave a little jolt and started sinking down. Everything became dark. Then, one after the other, small oil lamps started lighting up along the way, tracing dotted lines up to the surface. Morgan grinned at her friend. "There's a main entrance around the block that works with the matric card, but I thought this was cooler for your first time." As they descended through the dark, she explained that this old entrance to the faculty had been in use since the witch trials of the late 1600s. Even in demigod circles, witches had been despised and feared. It wasn't new for Romans to hate witches. You should see what ancient authors wrote about them (unironically)... For a while, a large number of Trivia's children had to go into hiding, fighting enemies in both the mortal and mythological world. Even here, in New Rome, which was supposed to protect them. There was a whole story to it that Morgan was about to give Saki in great detail - after all, she did hold a degree in history - but the floor stopped with another jolt and a modern glass door slid sideways to let them into a brightly lit marble corridor.

"After you," Morgan smiled with an extended arm.
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 10/13/2023, 9:40 am

Saki appropriately oohed and aahed as fog swirled around their feet when Morgan unlocked a door, grinning back at her friend. She shivered with the feeling of the strong magic that filled the space they were standing in - and then the ground jolted underneath them.

She squeaked in alarm at a frequency probably only dogs could hear, and her arms flew up to balance herself for a second before her brain caught up. "Oh, it's like an elevator!" she gasped, eyes wide as she looked around. The dim, warm fire of the oil lamps on their descent shed a slightly eerie but undeniably cool light on the two witches. "And you were so right, this entrance was definitely the right choice," Saki agreed.

With a mild bump, their ride stopped, and Saki had to blink against the sudden bright light and totally different vibe. "Don't mind if I do," she said cheerfully, as she stepped into the corridor. "You know, this is not what I expected from NRU at all," she admitted, curious and excited.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 11/6/2023, 11:47 am

Morgan followed her into the corridor. "Yeah, it is quite surprising isn't it?" she said. "Gives all the other "old" universities in the world a run for their money. Here, let me," she said and swiped another set of doors open with her matriculation card.

Their footsteps echoed on the flawless marble. On either side, the walls were covered in moving mosaics depicting famous magicians: Circe and Pasiphae, Medea and Orpheus, Erictho and Meroe... and Pythagoras?

"Yep, he's not only famous for his theorems on triangles," Morgan chuckled as the depiction of Pythagoras weighed ingredients in glittering mosaics. "He could also enchant animals and cast spells to be in different places at the same time! Crazy, right?"
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 2/1/2024, 10:43 am

Saki hummed in agreement, quickly distracted by the smooth and pretty mosaics that decorated the walls. She recognized Queen Pasiphae with her crown and bitter expression, Orpheus playing his lyre, and Medea holding a swaddled child. She paused for a second at the next depiction, running her fingers lightly over the nameplate that read "CIRCE", and felt a rush of warmth as she looked up at the mosaic. Circe held up her chalice, and Saki could have sworn that she winked at her.

Saki grinned as Morgan called her attention to another mosaic. She cocked her head to the side. "Pythagoras?" She wrinkled her nose in mild distaste (she hated math), but her expression gentled into one of pleasant surprise. "That is crazy, I'd never have known!"

As they reached the end of the hall, she peered around curiously. "I'm really dying to see your work, Morgan! What have you been up to?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 2/2/2024, 7:45 am

"Too many things," Morgan chuckled, "I've taken courses on amulets and curse tablets, learned new spells and made some potions of my own... Come, this way!"

She led her through a couple of floors before opening the door to a medium room flooded with light, supported by Roman columns at each corner. The desk was covered in books and papyri, magical plants spilled out of floating terraria, and a collection of Greek ceramics hung on the wall next to her potions station. "Welcome to my office," she grinned. "Knock yourself out!"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/19/2024, 1:32 am