A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

3 posters

Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished)

Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished) Empty Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished)

Post by Morgan Landry 9/24/2013, 8:01 am

Jana Kay
    Robertson

"When people ask me whether my cup is half empty or half full, I say I'm grateful I have a cup."

Meeting her

Hi there, Guest! I'm Jana Kay and I'm very happy to meet you!

Name: My full name would be Jana Kay Joyce Robertson, but I go by Jana Kay. My name 'Jana' means 'God blesses' in Hebrew or so my father told me, and 'Kay' means 'pure'. I get many nicknames, though, for example Kayak, JK (which means 'joking'; JK are my initials), Cereal, Wheat Girl, and so on.

Gender: I am, as you probably have already guessed, a girl.

God parent: I am the daughter of Demeter (the Greek goddess of bio agriculture and whole grain cereals).

Mortal parent: My father (Damian George Robertson) is a farmer; he doesn't have animals, no, but he has fields. Oats and wheat. In his garden, he made vegetables and fruit trees grow, but whatever he grew, he never used any insecticide, nor did he use  GMO's. I think that's why Demeter fancied him, because of his love for the crops.

Birthday: I was born on the twenty-seventh of October (so kind of the middle of the Thesmophoria festival) and right now, I'm fourteen, so I am in ninth grade, at school.

Place of birth: Like my other siblings, I was born on Mount Olympus, in Demeter's temple. Mum nursed me, then carried me down herself to take care of me in my father's house for the first months of my life; then she left Dad and went back to Olympus.

Last residence: My last residence is Stirling, the city in Scotland. I lived during my first years in Saint Andrews, in the Kingdom of Fife (Scotland as well), but when I was three, my father moved to Stirling.

Skin tone: As you can see, I'm white; and I'm a Scottish demigod (probably among the only ones). Well, for the Scottish part, I think you have already worked that out because of my accent (I have the typical Scottish accent, like my father).

Accent: Scottish.

Spoken languages: I speak three languages: English, Ancient Greek and Scottish.

Weapons: Since I'm a demigod, I of course own a weapon.
    Two in fact.
    The first is a sword, it's called 'Σταχυς σιτους' (pronounced stachys sitous) which means as much as 'ear of wheat'. It's pretty heavy, but there again, all swords are. It's made out of shiny celestial bronze, and it is shaped like a Highland dirk. There are celtic designs on  both guard and leather sheath, and a little on the blade itself, but it looks beautiful - to me, at least. It's, what, twenty, twenty-five inches long - overall, I mean. The blade is only nineteen or twenty inches long. It was the first sword I possessed, it was a daughter of Hephaestus, Nyssa, who forged it. A really talented girl, I was amazed. Moreover, it turns into a mobile phone - an iPhone, to be more precise. I can't phone with it though, nor can I actually use it like one would use a phone, because when I switch it on, it turns into my sword. However, the design of the phone changes with the time: it always adopts the shape of the second-latest released phone, and the phone case changes too. Right now, I have spring trees on it.
    Now to my second weapon. Mum gave me a labrys, several weeks, perhaps a month ago. It is kind of a small double-bladed axe made of celestial bronze. It turns into a golden hair needle shaped like an ear of wheat; I often pin my hair up with it when I'm not using it to fight.

Armor: I own an armor as well, but it's the classical hoplite armor: the leather breast plate set with celestial bronze, the pteruges, the mitra, the greaves (periknimedes), sometimes even the perimerides (to shield my thighs), the perixeirida and peribraxionio to protect my right arm, whereas on my left arm, my 'shield-arm', I carry my hoplon which is attached to my arm by the porpax (a strap of leather). Oh, and I have a Corinthian helmet as well, made of celestial bronze (but the inner is coated with leather), and garnished with decorative green and white horse hair.
    I painted my hoplon myself, like it was normally done in Greece, where the soldier had to decorate his own shield. I painted a triskell on mine around which I drew the words 'Virtutis Gloria Merces', the motto of my clan. It means 'Glory is the reward of valor'. I reckon it's a bit weird, a Greek demigod who has a Latin inscription on her shield, but I preferred to keep it 'original', even though I could've translated it.

Pets: I do have a pet, but it doesn't belong to me totally. He's like, the family pet. We own an English Cocker Spaniel with brown fur called Vivaldi - he's six years old now. Oh, and we have three cats - Joyce, my father's sister, gave me and my half-sisters Sheri and Opal one kitten each. Mine is brown-yellowish and I called him Summer. I don't take him to Camp though, I leave him at home with those of my sisters.

Likes: What I like? Loooooads of things. First of all, I love my family, be it my divine or mortal one. I've met my mother only twice, but I love her. My father is the best father I could wish for, my stepmother, An, is adorable and so are my two half-sisters, Sheri and Opal.
    I love agriculture (of course), cereals, balanced meals, vegetables (especially cabbage, carrots, potatoes, beets, beans, zucchini,tomatoes and salad), fruits (apples, apricots, peaches, tangerines, oranges, pears, strawberries, blackcurrant), mushrooms, and any bio product. I love cooking and inventing new recipes, I adore flowers, fruits, vegetables, plants in general.
    I love playing the violin (I've been playing for nine years now, and started electric violin two years ago), and I am absolutely in love with dancing and painting. I have been doing two years of classical dance, but after that, I decided to change and took rock'n'roll and rockabilly lessons, and now I am doing also acrobatic rock'n'roll.
    As far as music is concerned... I have the habit of filling my iPod with music that makes me feel good: Sing Hallelujah, for example, or I Feel Good by James Brown (obviously), but the predominant songs are rock'n'roll songs (Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley, Tutti Frutti and Long Tall Sally by Little Richard, Hound Dog by Elvis Presley, Blue Suede Shoes by Carl Perkins, Who Do You Love by Bo Diddley and so on), as well as rockabilly (Rock It by Thumper Jones, Shirley Lee by Bobby Lee Trammell, Bird Dog by Don Woody,...). Oh, and I love classical music, especially Vivaldi and Verdi! Because I fell in love with violin the moment I started playing it. Lindsey Stirling and David Garrett make wonderful music in my opinion.
    I enjoy reading despite my dyslexia, and my favorites are all seven Harry Potter, the Eragon cycle, and some teenage books.
    Movies are little babies of mine too, and I love some action-with-story-movies like The Pillars Of The Earth, Game Of Thrones, Lord Of The Rings (I've always wanted to be a Hobbit, to live in a little hole in the ground), Troy, but also comedies, like Sister Act, Little Miss Sunshine, the Monty Pythons, This Is Spinal Tap, and so on. I love going to the theatre to watch comedies, too.

Social status: At Camp, I have many friends, which could put me as popular, but not in the sense of and Apollo or Aphrodite child. I'm not popular because of my physical appearance or because I play guitar or sing or what.

Years at Camp: I have been for seven years at Camp, and am a summer rounder although I sometimes come during other holidays.

As last word, I'll quote a Chinese proverb: to be happy for an hour, get drunk. To be happy for a year, fall in love. To be happy for a lifetime, take up gardening.
    I hope this inspires you; it was awesome meeting you!

Getting to know more about her

Physical appearance

Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished) 975992avril52

Skin tone: She has a Caucasian skin-type, but since she spends the majority of her time outside, she has a nice amber-golden tan.

Eye color: Jana's eyes have a forest green color, but the inner (around the pupil) is of a lighter shade of grass-and-moss green with some ochre-yellowish pigments. She has a black dot in her left eye, next to her pupil.

Hair color: Her hair is pale flaxen-blonde in color with wheat-golden highlights.

Hair length: It is very long and falls down around her waist.

Height: Being only fourteen years old, Jana is one meter sixty-five in height, so she is quite tall for her age.

Weight: Since she's very skinny, Ms Robertson weighs forty-seven kilos.

Voice: Jana has a clear, lilting voice. When she sings, she has the voice of a mezzo-soprano.

Fragrance: Jana Kay carries with her a fresh scent of grass, tangerines and fields mixed with the fragrance of earth.

Body type: She still has a kind of childish rectangle shape: no distinct waistline, no wider hips. However, her body slowly starts to curve out into a light hourglass shape.

Appearance: As already stated, Ms Robertson has long, straight, sleek pale blonde hair that fall down her back to her hips. Her heart-shaped face is lightened up by a pair of deep-set forest green eyes garnished with streaks of apple green, grass green and ochre. These eyes are framed by a row of black-blonde eyelashes and are set under two long, horizontal blonde eyebrows. She has a straight, pointed, slightly aquiline nose, with little nostrils, set over a pale, thin mouth that is a bit too large. Her teeth are white, though, but little and flat. She has well-defined cheekbones which make her face look less childish although she still has pretty young cheeks. Her ears are a little pointed, like the nymphs's and a pale, little tongue. Jana practically has no acne except a bit on the forehead. Her face is underlined by her neat, straight jawline which stops at her little, pointed chin.
    Her body is quite straight with no particular curves except for her waist which is a tad bit thinner than the rest of her upper body. She has very long, skinny legs and slim arms, you can easily make out the bones when looking at them. Her stomach is very flat, and you can even see the ribs under her skin; Kay's body is extremely flat, she's small-chested and narrow-hipped. She has little, slim feet (shoe size four and a half).
    She couldn't be called 'pretty', but her constant smile and optimism give her a cute look; she looks older than she is.

Wardrobe: Jana loves frank, vivid colors: tomato-red, carrot-orange, saffron-yellow, forest-green, wood-brown, clear sky blue. She sometimes wears black too, but tries not to. She loves to wear bermuda pants, shorts, and T-Shirts: short, no 'complicated' garments: no uncomfortable, tight dresses, impossibly high heels, close-fitting elaborate tops... She likes simple clothes. As far as shoes are concerned, nothing's better than a good old pair of Chuck Taylor's. She loves to mix hers up: have a yellow left shoe and blue right one, for example. Or a white right one with a green left one. To cut it short: she's having fun with her clothes.
    This daughter of Demeter practically never puts any make-up on, except for parties. Then, she only puts a playful line of blue or green or violet eye-liner on her upper eyelids, but hardly any gloss or lipstick.

Positive-negative sides and other aspects

Skills/Talents: Jana Kay is a quick learner, she is talented at running (she's very quick for somebody of her age), athletics of any kind, climbing, and she's very good at basket-ball, volley-ball, soccer, hand-ball, tennis and badminton. She is also very good at orientation racing and finding her way when she's lost. At school, she excels at biology (of course), is pretty good at maths, sports, and very good in chemistry. She is extremely good at violin, and plays in a youth orchestra in Scotland. She is excels in both electric violin and normal violin, and, like Lindsey Stirling, is able to dance while playing - she's really good at it, since she has been dancing ever since she was five years old. She first took two years of classical dance (in which she still is good), but then decided to switch to rock'n'roll and rockabilly lesson, and later passed on to acrobatic rock'n'roll, at which she is extremely good. She even won a prize once.
    Like every child of Demeter, she is a natural cook and excellent at making up recipes. She is also extremely good at painting aquarelles of natural objects: meadows, landscapes, plants... She paints in the expressionist way too and is very talented at that.
    Jana Kay is a first class gymnast and is excellent at equestrian vaulting, which helps her a lot when she has to fight on a horse or on a pegasus (should anemoi thuellai attack her). Her body has gained a good flexibility from all her gymnastic and acrobatic training, she can for example touch the ground with her hands by leaning backwards.

Flaws: Kay tends to be too forgiving, too kind. She forgives people whom she shouldn't forgive, and that can lead to people abusing of her good nature. Out of this always-optimistic outlook on life and ignoring its negative side can result a sort of naivety and gullibility even though it can be seen as a kind of childish innocence. Jana Kay can get trapped a bit easily by others, and she is not good with arguments, since she doesn't argue much - practically never. Besides, her hyperactivity gives her an impatient streak.

Fatal flaw: Like the majority of the children of Demeter, Jana Kay's fatal flaw is over-protectiveness. She could do anything in order to shield those she loves and put at risk things she shouldn't. It is not like loyalty, Percy's fatal flaw, but it can be linked to it, because it means too that she doesn't know when to take over responsibility and when she should let others match decisions for themselves.

Strengths: She's optimistic, permanently kind and helpful, open-minded and tolerant. In addition, she has a very analytical mind and a great memory. Jana Kay is an extremely loyal individual who stands up for her friends and for what she believes is right. She always has her own opinion on matters, but accepts it to change and does not stay in one way of thinking only. She welcomes change for there is always something positive about it.

Weaknesses: Jana Kay is not quite good at 'violent' sports like wrestling, boxing, pankration, and the like. Like the majority of other demigods, Jana has dyslexia and hyperactivity.

Dislikes: What can be regrouped under her dislikes are merely things she ignores yet respects. There can be listed tragedies, pessimism, sadness, all negative feelings, biodynamic agriculture (it annoys her even more because biodynamic products are labelled 'Demeter' in the supermarkets, and Demeter has nothing to do with that way of growing plants in her opinion), negativism, intolerance, GMO's and chemical nutrition products.

Fears: When she was younger, Jana Kay had had aqua phobia, because of what happened between Poseidon and Demeter. Now, though she has managed to overstep it, even though both fire and water still sometimes make her freak out, because both can destroy crops irremediably.

~~~~~~~~~

Goals: One of Jana Kay's goal is to be a garden designer later; she's quite indifferent to the lucrative side of her later career, reason why she chose this job.

Instrument: Jana Kay has been playing the violin for nine years now, she started when she was five. She plays as much classical violin as electric violin and loves playing Lindsey Stirling songs.

Hobbies: She loves to play the violin, to dance, to cook, to laugh and to have fun with friends. Horse-riding and pegasi-riding are two big hobbies of her's, as well as spending time outside, in the nature. She likes to draw, too, but is not too good at it; therefore she prefers to paint aquarelles (landscapes, flowers, trees....).

Abilities: Jana Kay can, when she sees a plant, tell exactly what plant it is. She can say it's name, and if she knows the plant very well, she could even say the precise latin name. However, this doesn't work with too exotic plants.
    Jana is always more powerful if she's fighting in a field or somewhere where agriculture plays a role (this doesn't happen in natural areas like forests).
    She is extremely good at making friends with nymphs, especially anthoussae and epimeliades. When she was little, she would play with Alice, the nymph of their apple tree, and several other flower nymphs (roses, lilies, field poppies, ...).

Personality
    Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished) Tumblr_msxsvk4FyZ1rael52o1_500

Jana Kay is a bright, alert, playful and particularly communicative individual; she appears to be someone who is determined and original, bursting with vitality and blessed with a zest for life. She has an extremely good memory, an analytic intelligence and is very demonstrative in her feelings. She is bold and resourceful, although she is also particularly sororal (sister-like) and maternal (which is the beginning of her fatal flaw, over-protectiveness), and enjoys taking care of others. She is gentle, and shows great respect and gratitude for the surrounding nature and is very health-conscious. Furthermore, her manner is generally warm and reassuring, because Jana   is eager to please other people. This could be expressed through a friendly attitude. In any case she´s the real thing, uncompromising, frank and direct - and fiercely loyal. She is extremely sensitive and simply can´t tolerate injustice, if she witnesses unfair treatment she usually won´t hesitate to intervene. She is highly energetic and capable of summoning up more motivation for others than for herself, whilst competition doesn't worry her much at all. Jana   is headstrong and active, lives predominantly in the material, earthly realm, and knows how to be efficient and practical when needed even though she can also be shy, reserved, gentle and conciliatory at times. Although she is very generous and concerned for others´ wellbeing, she nevertheless appreciates the good things in life, comfort as well as money. As a child, she was very expressive, playful and endearing. She is a sociable girl and is happiest when surrounded by friends, who tend to follow in her footsteps. When at home, she is likely to have quite a varied leisure timetable:  tea party with her sisters, with dolls in between, toy car racing with her cousins when they are there, this way she is able to conciliate her craving for affection with her sororal instinct...Excellent comedian, she is also capable of doing fantastic imitations of others, and is blessed with a keen sense of observation. She needs harmony as much as she needs air and water, and the family environment has a considerable influence on her development, either in a positive or negative sense.

She likes to feel needed and be surrounded by the people that love her, to whom she shows much love and devotion in return. She's a fantastic friend who knows how to listen and is happy to give advice, as she sees just. While impatience is one of her non-negotiable characteristics, by contrast she can be most accommodating. On the other hand, she is likely to be somewhat less tolerant and more demanding where her partner is concerned, because she can´t excuse weakness in her boyfriend. She may (sometimes!) be authoritarian, but she is extremely tactful and polite about it; she certainly possesses the know-how, and simply has the same high expectations for a potential boyfriend that she imposes on herself. If her boyfriend happens to disappoint her she is likely to break things off abruptly and firmly, and there will be no turning back. Even so, when it comes to the crunch there could be some hesitation on her behave, probably due to the fact that it is fundamental - in her eyes - to have a successful relationship and start a family. Likewise, she is extremely sensitive to comfort and once she has finished adding her personal touch, the interior of her house will have been transformed into a snug and comfortable sanctuary.
    In conclusion, Jana Kay is a permanently happy, blissful and grateful individual who however tends to impatience and authority -she is surprisingly good at taming herself, though.

Powers

Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished) Tumblr_mthqhn9pw21s5yk8lo1_250

Plant growth: Jana Kay can make nearly any plant grow, except a baobab. Trees normally take her several weeks to grow, but she can manage it. It's tiring, but she can manage it. Normally, she just makes flowers grow: camellias, tulips, lilac, honeysuckle, bougainvillea, rose-bay, lilies, irises.... It doesn't take her much energy, she can make seven different plants grow per day depending on their size. Making a bush grow costs a dozen minutes sectioned by short one-minute-breaks. She can also revive dead or withered plants, but as long as it is a single one and not a whole field. She can revive five flowers per day and has to wait half an hour before the next revival.

Agrokinesis - Plant manipulation: She can 'mutate' plants by manipulating their DNA. She can manipulate their properties (for example, should a demigod want to roast his marshmallow on a rose-bay-wood stick, she can manipulate the wood in order to remove the toxic parts, though she has to touch it in order to do it, she can't do it from distance). Manipulating properties can however be as minor as merely changing the color or the fragrance of a flower. She can change four times a day the color and fragrance of flowers or leaves.
    If she is attacked of course, she can increase the number of toxic parts in a plant, make it move (crawl up a monster's neck and choke it) or force the plants to produce poison, release fatal toxins and pheromones. She prefers making the plant release toxins though, because making a plant crawl up a monster's neck is unreliable (the monster can rip it off) and takes a lot of energy. She can do it once a day only, and gets a bit dizzy after having done it. She can maximize and minimize the toxic parts in a plant by thirty-five percent.
    The worst toxin is a neurotoxin which she can produce only twice a day; it could kill a small hellhound in approx. ten minutes and a Laistrygonian giant in two hours and a half. That is the worst poison she could create. The average poison would be cytotoxins, phenols (tannin, terpene, natrium-ed) or mycotoxins, which could kill a monster in three hours.
    The plant continues to release the toxins for a maximum time lapse of three hours, after that, it mutates back to normal.
    She can use the 'crawl-up' to protect herself: she can make plants cover her body and integrate herself to a bush like this. When looking very closely, you can make her out, but at first sight, she's practically invisible. She can do this once a day only.  

Surf: When enough plants are there (so only meadows and fields), Jana Kay can create a wave of them and get on top of it, surfing, like Percy does with water, but for Jana, the 'wave' is material and can be maximum one meter fifty high. Her wave lasts ten seconds, so she'd better be quick about what she wants to do with it, and she can only do it once every three days, because it takes a lot of energy.

Kind-of empathy: Jana Kay has a certain empathy to plants, which means that, when touching a plant, she can have seismic senses through the roots. The more the roots are deep, the more she can feel. It works best with trees, even though it's way more tiring. She can do it thrice a day with normal plants (flowers, bushes), once a day through a tree and five times a day through grass, even though it's not worth anything, the roots aren't deep enough.
    As far as the roots spread, she can feel vibrations, be it a seismic wave or just the vibrations somebody creates against the ground when walking - the latter works only with trees, of course. That way, if she thinks she is being pursued by a monster, she can first try to find out where it is by touching a tree and feeling herself mentally into its roots to catch the vibrations of its footpace. Of course, it wouldn't work with drakons, drakanae, nor lamiae, for they produce no vibrations - reason why that too can be unreliable.

All these powers apply for vegetables and fruits as well (except the surfing), with the same limits. She can use maximum three of her powers in the same day.

Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished) Tumblr_mt6eg5HQQz1s29njuo1_500

Life Until Now

Jana Kay Robertson was born in Demeter's temple, on Mount Olympus, on the twelfth of October.
    The goddess of Agriculture had met Damian Robertson a year ago, when he lived in Saint Andrews, in the Kingdom of Fife.
    Damian George Robertson had been thirty at that moment. He is a strong, chestnut-haired young man with an aquiline nose, a wide mouth and slanting eyes. He has straight, short chestnut-brown hair naturally streaked with light shades of blonde and green-brown eyes. He has a particularly warm, crooked grin and the shadow of a beard. He is a remarkably frank and direct man who says what he thinks  and that way stays integer to himself and his beliefs. It is to him a point of honor to be kind and friendly with everybody.
    At that time, he was owning a pair of fields with his brother Roger. However, after his wedding, Roger had decided to go and make a trip around the world with his wife, Katrina, and Damian had had to hire someone to help him, a kind of laborer, if it can be called like that.
    The laborer had been a woman. She was tall, with suntanned skin, thick brown hair and an indulgent look on her face even though it was mixed with authority. After having introduced herself as Demeter, she signed the contract and started the next day.
    In fact, Demeter had been attentive towards Damian because of his particular love for what he grew, the way he always grew in the 'bio' way, be it with his fields or with his orchard and vegetable garden. That had drawn Demeter's attention, but she had wanted to judge by herself and had therefore come down on Earth to meet him.
    She worked for Damian during months, where they gradually got closer until, one evening as they came back from the fields, he finally decided to get over his little shyness and declared his love to her.
    Demeter soon got pregnant, but when they started being a couple, even when she had started working for him, she had told him that one day, in several months, she would have to go and he would not have to ask about it - yet. Of course this honestly saddened Damian, even more when they started dating; he wanted to beg her not to go, but Demeter always came off as a strong, honest woman, and he immediately knew that nothing he would say would change anything.
    Soon afterwards, Demeter got pregnant and shortly before giving birth to her child, she left Damian in order to go on Olympus. There, she gave birth to Jana Kay, nursed her for a time before returning to Damian's house.
    The young man almost cried out of happiness when he saw her come back carrying their baby daughter in her arms. However, Demeter couldn't stay. She explained she would stay the first week with them to take care of Jana Kay, but would have to go. One evening, when they were in Damian's house, she explained to him she was a goddess, and, as a last gift before leaving, she blessed his fields before disappearing into thin air.

Damian Robertson raised his little baby daughter alone, with no occasional help from Demeter, yet somehow he knew she might be watching over them. She had told him that Jana Kay, being a demigod, would be in danger very soon; monsters would search for her since she was the daughter of one of the Olympian gods and the monsters would try to kill her, but she would be in real, constant danger, when arriving at the age of thirteen.

"There is a place in the USA, a place that is safe for demigods, called Camp Half-Blood," Demeter had explained to him. "It is located on the Long Island Sound; it's a place where demigods like Jana Kay go to train and learn how to fight. It's the only safe place on Earth for them."

"I shall bring her there," Damian had immediately replied. "I'll keep her safe."

Demeter had stroked his cheek with affection.

"Mortals aren't allowed within the borders," she carried on. "Only gods, demigods or mythological beings safe monsters can enter it."

"So... I will have to separate myself from her?" he asked, worried.

"No, of course not. For the first years of her life, she will stay here, with you. However, she will start to be in real danger starting from her thirteenth birthday, that is the moment where demigods start to really ...'smell' for monsters. I suggest you send her off at a really young age."

"What? Three years old? Four years old?"

"No, no, no, not so young. Eight years old seems just fine, or maybe even nine," she smiled. "But a satyr is going to fetch her most probably; satyrs are the ones who go searching for demigods in the world. He'll lead her safely to Camp Half-Blood."

"So he'll bring her there... And I won't see her ever again?"

"Don't worry. It is only during the summer holidays."

They had talked for some more time, then Demeter had kissed him and definitely left.

So little Jana Kay grew up for the first years of her life in St Andrews. Her father took her on his fields every day, with his brother (who had come back in the meantime), and she had been fascinated by the wheats and oats; she couldn't seem to be able of tearing herself away from them. Her powers started showing rather quickly, but more so because of her relationships to nymphs: she could find many of them, and her first friend had been Alice, a white-haired, nut-brown-skinned Epimeliad, the nymph of the apple tree that was in their orchard. She would take Jana Kay on her back, braid her hair with apple flowers and together they would make crowns, belts and bracelets with daisies.
    When she was two years old, Damian got invited at the wedding of Matthew, who had been his best friend ever since sixth grade. There, he saw again his tenth-grade-crush, An Mackenzie, and even though he still had feelings for Demeter, he couldn't resist but to ask her if they could meet again, some time, to what she agreed.
    An Mackenzie was a woman with reddish-blonde hair, like golden copper, warm grey eyes and numerous freckles on her face and shoulders. She had always had a slim built, and was known by her friends to be a considerably talented good-mood-spreader.
    Six months after their meeting, they were a couple and An got pregnant a year afterwards. At first, the young woman had been suspicious she would learn to love Jana Kay, but as soon she met her, it was obvious to her she would love her like she were her own child.
    When Jana Kay was four, An gave birth to a pair of twins, Sheri and Opal. Little Jana was incredibly happy to have sisters and couldn't leave them alone, she always wanted to be there, with them.
    The little family eventually moved to Stirling, leaving the fields to Damian's brother Roger and his co-workers. Damian himself had bought one new field in the roundabouts of Stirling and was cultivating it alone with one co-worker.
    An, on her side, had found work in an equestrian centre, gave lessons every day and participated in competitions.
    Damian hadn't yet told his wife about Jana's real mother, but didn't know how to word it.
    One evening, when the children had gone to bed, he addressed her, wanting to tell her she was a demigod. Damian had already witnessed Jana Kay's burgeoning powers over plants, flowers and fruits, but An had never been that attentive, so he tried to introduce the matter on a lighter, casual mood.

"You see, the flowers grow under Jana Kay's finger like... the stars grow under... the fingers of the night."

"Darling, you say wonderful things," An laughed.

"Always after my fourteenth glass of wine, my love."

An of course didn't take him seriously.
    It took several years for him to tell her the truth, but he didn't ask Jana Kay to prove it to her with her powers; it would result in too many questions. Besides, the little girl didn't know she was a demigod yet, and it would be bad for her if she knew, because starting from the point where a demigod knows about his or her true nature, monsters find them easier.
    An finally told Damian she believed him, even though in her mind, she always remained sceptic: she was Christian and the fact of believing in other gods was against her religion.
    Jana Kay continued to grow up in their house in Stirling, from which she could see the William Wallace monument, of which she thought it was the tallest building ever - until her father and stepmother took her and her sisters to New York and Paris.
    She went to the Riverside Primary School, along with her two sisters Sheri and Opal. They had their mother's reddish-blonde hair and freckles, but their father's green-brown eyes. Both had an upturned nose and a permanent crooked grin attached on the lips.
    Jana Kay was very appreciated at school because of her constant good mood, her optimism and happiness, and of course her kindness and love for fun. Everybody thought it was a pity she had a light dyslexia, because she was a good student, apart from her catastrophic marks in English, due to that dyslexia. She just couldn't write without making mistakes, and it took her three years to learn to read properly.
    One day, though, when they went to a museum in Edinburgh, seven-years-old Jana Kay spotted a statue of a greek goddess, which had an inscription on its pedestal: Αθηνα.

"Hey, Daddy, look!" Jana had said, pulling on the edge of her father's sleeve. "It's Athena!"

Mr Robertson had gazed at the statue.

"How do you know?" he had asked, frowning.

"It's written on it, duh," she giggled.

"Wait, you... you can read?"

At that time, Jana Kay had still had a lot of difficulties with reading, and it turned out that no, she couldn't yet read English perfectly. But Ancient Greek, yes.
    Damian Robertson didn't know it was an ability of every greek demigod, so they went to see a doctor, who submitted English and Ancient Greek texts to Jana. Even though she read English with great difficulty, Ancient Greek seemed to come naturally. The doctor had no answer to the question.
    It became a familial joke at the Robertson's, and Damian even gave Jana Kay a copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in Ancient Greek for Christmas.
    In Stirling, she had quite a calm, happy childhood: no monsters attacked and the only monster she saw was a karpos in a field, once, which glared at her before disappearing between the crops.
    When she was in fourth grade, a boy from sixth grade, Jake, often talked to her and they became friends. Jake, a brown-haired boy with nut-brown skin, one day told her that she was a really good friend for him, and asked her that if anything should go wrong, if somebody harmed her or she had the weird impression somebody would, she should immediately come and see him.
    That mark of friendship touched her and she promised she'd do.
    A year passed without any notable incident.
    However, when she passed into fifth grade, a new girl came, called Sarah. Jana Kay of course made friends with her, she was quite taller than the others, and always moved like she were gliding. Sarah never talked much and she had a way of accentuating the 's' which drew the majority of the kids to call her 'Lady Voldemort'. Only Jana and a handful of others didn't do it, because they thought it was mean.
    When he saw her with Sarah, Jake started watching the two more intently and drew it to the point of stalking them. People would say he was in love with one of the two, but Jana Kay didn't listen to that.
    One day in late June, Sarah asked Jana if she would want to take a walk with her in the woods, to which Jana of course agreed - she loved the forest.
    The two were strolling along in the woods, chatting happily, when suddenly, Sarah stumbled and fell to the ground, clinging to a tree.

"Sarah, are you alright?" Jana Kay asked, kneeling down next to her, and putting her hands on her shoulders.

Quick as a viper, Sarah turned around, grabbed her wrists and threw Jana Kay on the ground.

"Ow! What are you..."

With a mighty punch in the face, Sarah cut her off and Jana Kay cried out, blood dripping from her lips, down her chin and into her mouth, it's salty, metallic taste raining onto her tongue.
    Sarah sat on Jana, holding her down with one arm while drawing a knife with her free hand. At that moment, Jana Kay saw her like she really was: poison-green eyes with a slit instead of a round pupil, emerald-colored scales covering her skin and in place of legs, she had two snake tails that undulated silently.

"Sarah?"

In reply, she let out a hiss.

"I have been waiting for thissss for quite sssssome time," she whispered. "Getting you alone was a tough tasssssk."

"What? Why?"

Sarah hissed again, smiling, before pressing Jana's face sideways down into the dirt and raising her knife, bringing it down on Jana Kay's throat with all her might.
    The knife's tip stroke her neck, drawing a neat yet superficial cut across it; it didn't embed itself in her throat like expected, because at that moment, two arms appeared from seemingly nowhere and pulled Sarah off Jana Kay, hurling her off. One arm managed to twist the hand with which she was holding her knife, and still immobilizing her, buried the blade into her chest. Green blood flowed out of the wound like it were a fountain, and a few moments later, Sarah exploded into green dust that rained down onto the ground.
    Jana Kay put a hand on her throat, feeling her wound. Thank God, it was not deep, and she looked up.
    In front of her, covered in green dust, stood Jake. He kneeled down next to her.

"Are you alright?" he questioned as he spotted her wound.

Jana nodded.

"What... what was that? Sarah..."

"She was a Scythian dracana. A young one, I suppose. An adult one wouldn't have waited that long to kill you."

"A what? And why would they want to kill me, what did I do?"

Jake looked at the nine-years-old with a stern expression and offered his hand to help her up.

"We are going to have a long talk."

And indeed, they had.
    Jake being a remarkably direct person, he first asked her about all the Greco-Roman mythology, checking she knew about it, before revealing to her her true nature: she was a demigod.
    She didn't believe him at first, of course.
    Her father did, though.
    Jake brought Jana Kay home directly after the incident, and asked to see her father. To An and the two sisters, he explained Jana Kay had been attacked by a random person in the forest, but to Damian, he told the whole truth.
    After having asked his daughter's confirmation about the story, he looked at Jake.

"It is time for her to go there, isn't it?"

The young boy had nodded.

"Go where?"

"Somewhere safe. For the time being."

"But I don't want to go! Dad... An...my sisters..."

"You're not leaving forever," Jake reassured her with a warm smile. "Just for the holidays."

"The reason why we are sending you there, my daisy, is because your life is in danger," her father continued, "and that place is the only safe one for you."

"But where am I going?"

Jake and her father exchanged a look.

"The USA," they both said.

Damian Robertson asked her daughter to prepare her suitcase right now, he booked a flight ticket for the evening, to New York, (tough job since there were only three seats left) and drove her to Glasgow during the afternoon, with Jake. There, he bought her a pair of solid trekking shoes, several pairs of shorts, trousers and a jacket specially designed for outdoor activities. The clothes safely put in her suitcase, he brought her to the airport, and before letting her go, he made her promise to do everything Jake would say, it was for her own safety.
    Jana Kay cried a little for having been taken away from her home so abruptly, but had obeyed.
    Jake and her made an overnight flight to New York, and took a taxi cab from there to Camp Half-Blood.
    If she hadn't completely believed Jake, now she actually had arrived at Camp, saw Chiron and Mr D. and all the demigods... she was forced to acknowledge it was true.
    Surprisingly, her father hadn't told her who her mother was, so she had to wait about a week, living in the Hermes cabin, before Demeter claimed her.
    It had been at dinner, one of the Hermes kids had been stealing all of the roasted potatoes in her plate and she hadn't known how to react, when suddenly, a green hologram appeared above her head, a bunch of wheats slowly circling around, and Chiron, followed by all Campers, had said: 'Hail to you, Jana Kay Robertson, daughter of Demeter.'
    That very evening, she had moved right after dinner to the Demeter cabin, and, even though she had liked the Hermes cabin (safe for all the stealing, of course), she had felt totally at home in the cabin number four. She arrived at Camp one year before Percy did.
    For the following years, nothing notable happened except what is told in the books.
    Jana Kay of course participated in the battle of the Labyrinth (where she got wounded relatively quickly, a stab at her side), and the one of Manhattan: along with all her cabin, she assured the defense of the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel. Like her other siblings, she made dangerous plants grow (there was even an oversized carnivorous plant that would eat the monsters one by one, at the entrance of the tunnel). They made everything to slow their progress, even though they were already exhausted from making all those plants grow. Katie Gardner, along with a handful of their siblings, made lianas and creepers strangle monsters while Jana Kay, and the one or two others who had the same powers as her, forced the plants and leaves to release toxic pheromones and deathly toxins. At the beginning, they had all been hiding behind the plants, the archers shooting arrows at the monsters - Jana had been hiding behind a bush, her sword unsheathed and ready to kill the monsters that would come next to her. She succeeded the first times, killing two hell hounds and a dog-seal-hybrid sea demon, a telekhine, but after that, she saw the foot of a Laistrygonian giant who was about to step on the bush she had been hiding under, and had to move out of the way as fast as possible, betraying her position.
    An enemy demigod shot an arrow at her, which hit her left shoulder blade. She cried out, but continued running, clenching her teeth and crying in pain, until she was behind safe positions. Jenny, one of her half-sisters, pressed a hand on her mouth, just for the moment where she pulled the arrow out of her shoulder, then cleaned and healed the wound with nectar. The arrow's blade had been serrated, saw-toothed - a special design that aimed to take as much flesh out of the wound as possible. And it had worked.
    However, after the nectar-healing, Jana Kay had been able to go fighting again. She had put herself at the front line with David, Anna, and others of her siblings to fight the monsters off. She had gotten wounded again, as a telekhine  aimed a circular move with its blade at her head, and she hadn't leaned backwards enough; the tip had drawn a red line across her cheek and on her nose, but she had continued to fight the monster until an arrow shot by a Demeter archer had sent it back to Tartarus.
    However, even though they all fought with courage, they slowly started to step backwards. A Hyperborean giant had breathed at the carnivorous plant, freezing it instantly, and had done the same with a row of other poisonous and monster-dangerous plants.
    With plants caught into ice, no pheromones, no toxins could be released, but several minutes later, Katie Gardner gave a belligerent cry, followed by five of her siblings, and managed to get the carnivorous plant free. The ice broke down like crystal. The plant had shaken itself, apparently not  happy at all of its pass through the freezer and had gulped two Scythian dracanae down at once, with armors and spears.
    The rest of the plants, though, had remained cast in ice; it had taken the children of Demeter too much energy to free the carnivorous plant from her ice-sheets, they couldn't afford to free the other ones, or they would faint.
    They fought for three hours, stepping back more and more.
    Jana Kay was crying, sweating and bleeding. Dirt stained her clothes and small cuts covered her arms. Her shield was slightly dented at several places and the handle of her sword was covered in her hand's sweat, making it difficult to hold tightly. Somewhere behind her, David lay, suffering from a deep cut in his side while Jenny (who was an archer, but also the one who healed the wounded) attended to it. Miranda, who had been next to her a few minutes ago, was nowhere to be seen. Anna had disappeared as well. Jana was fighting an adult dracana, trying not to think of the first time a Scythian dracana - Sarah - had attacked her. The snake-woman darted her net at her, which she cut in two with her sword. Using the opportunity, the monster hit her leg with her trident, drawing a deep stab there and Jana Kay cried out, falling onto her knees. An archer Jana could not see saw her in need and shot two arrows at the dracana - both buried themselves in her chest and she exploded in green monster dust.
    The dracana was immediately replaced by a young hell hound, which Jana angrily beheaded with a might whip of her sword.
    She applied several droplets of nectar on her wound, not wanting to waste any, then went back into the battle. Slowly, it was the enemy's turn to step back. Katie and Miranda were leading the attack, while the whole Demeter cabin followed behind them, some riding giant plants. Two of the archers were hanging on lianas in Tarzan-modus to shoot arrows. Jana Kay was touching every plant she could to manipulate their DNA and force them to release monster-fatal toxins. However, she overstepped her limits, and fainted after the sixth time.
    When she had woken back up, she had been in a beautiful room, lying on an incredibly comfortable couch. Her wounded leg had been bandaged, as had been her shoulder, but she felt good. When she had looked around, she had spotted many more of her siblings, nearly all the Demeter cabin. Some had been lying on couches, sofas or mattresses, but there had been others who were standing, kneeling down and attending the victims.

"Are you alright?" a voice had come from her right and Jana Kay turned around.

It had been her older sibling Anna. The battle hadn't spared her either: she had had a bandage around her forehead and a nasty scar on her left arm. Jana Kay nodded.

"Where are we?" she asked, frowning.

"Plaza Hotel," Anna replied. "We have taken it as our QG. Right now, nobody else is there except us and the Aphrodite cabin. Some wounded Hunters are here too, they're upstairs."

"And the other cabins?"

"Still fighting," she curtly said, and Jana understood her.

She was dating Bastian, a boy from the Hephaestus cabin; she knew what she was thinking: if even Beckendorf could've died... Bastian could too.

"I'm sure he's alright," Jana Kay said, trying to reassure her.

Anna managed a poor smile, and turned away. Jana Kay followed her with her eyes, then looked at her bandages. She first unwrapped the cloth around her leg; she wanted to see the wound. There was nothing but three little stabs. They still hurt a little, but apart from that, they looked all right. Unwrapping the bandages around her shoulder proved to be a little tougher, but she managed it too. The wound there was deeper and not completely healed; she wrapped the cloth back around it, then matched the decision to stand up. Now she had a better view than from her couch, she could see that indeed, many wounded demigods lay there. Suddenly, her heart froze. On the ground lay a body wrapped in a green and golden shroud embroidered with an ear of wheat. Trembling, she kneeled down next to it and opened just a corner of it, revealing David's motionless face.
    Jana Kay's cry echoed in the great room as she hugged the cold body of her half-brother, soaking the shroud with tears. Several moments later, a calming hand put itself on her shoulder.

"I tried to save him," Jenny's voice came. "But I couldn't, the wounds were too deep."

She sighed, and carried on.

"I wanted to get a child of Apollo, but they were all, and still are, fighting at the Williamsburg Bridge. I tried to Iris-Message Austin, one of them, but the message shattered as soon he opened it."

Soothingly, she had stroked Jana Kay's blonde hair.

"Come now. He's not the first, and not the last. He's probably in Elysium already."

Jenny wrapped her arms around Jana and slowly drew her away from the shroud, covering his face with the linen. Jana kept crying for three whole minutes before finally calming down, her face still wet with tears.

"Who else is dead?" she asked in a little voice.

"Gemma and William. Gemma died here from her wounds half an hour ago and William..."

"William?"

"A hell hound attacked him and dragged him away. We didn't find him."

Jana resumed crying and Jenny hugged her, stroking her hair and crying with her. Finally, the blonde girl wiped her tears away and blew her nose in a paper tissue. She would mourn for her lost siblings, she would. But not now. First, she would help defeating Cronus's army, and when the Lord of Time was back in Tartarus, where he belonged, then she would mourn properly. Now she had to remain strong; strong for herself, and strong for the others. She could not permit herself to let weakness show.
    She helped Jenny, Miranda, Katie and a couple others of not-too-wounded siblings to create a wonderful buffet with a very wide range of dishes. They opted for energizing food, like meat, pizza, lasagnes, sausages, cheese, spaghettis, pancakes and so on as well as desserts: ice cream, black and white mousse au chocolat, cakes, fountains of melted chocolate where one could dip a fruit and eat it, brownies, ... The other cabins streamed in one by one, every demigod looking utterly exhausted. Some would fall on a free couch and sleep, and so did Jana Kay once she finished eating: she took a key from the hotel's reception and went up the room 187 to have a good rest. Well, first a good shower, then a good rest.
    She slept for eleven hours, in which she dreamt of the advance of the armies and of Cronus, walking in front of the United Nations building with his terrible scythe.
    She got woken up by Travis Stoll, who was checking every room in order to find all the demigods, since he was extremely good at breaking open locks and keyholes.

"Wake up, the battle begins soon!" was all he told her.

Jana Kay immediately got up, her muscles sore from the combats and her limbs hurting because she had slept in her armor (very uncomfortable), and went downstairs, still yawning and attaching her tangled hair. The battle in front of the Empire States building proved to be the most difficult Jana had ever fought. If not for the centaurs who had scared the enemies off, they would have lost. But the final battle, with the Lydian drakon next to them had been the apex. Jana Kay had fought fiercely, reminding herself of Gemma, David, and poor William they would never find again. Those recollections helped her to maintain her position even though she stepped back more and more. And when she had thought everything was lost, the Ares came, then Nico, the son of Hades, with his army of dead. But when her heart had really increased its pace and tears of gratitude had flowed down her cheeks was when she had seen Demeter, in her chariot. Demeter... Her own mother had come to the rescue! Jana Kay even cried out 'Mum!' one or two times, waving, but the goddess hadn't seen her.
    Fighting with renewed strength, she was, like the others, cut out of Olympus by the wall of Cronus's magic. All around them, the mortals were waking up again, but they continued to fight. They fought until the Olympians arrived after having mastered Typhon with the help of Poseidon and his marine army.
    Cronus's army having been defeated, Jana Kay stayed at Olympus for the rest of the afternoon, resting, but was driven back to Camp Half-Blood, along with her remaining siblings, by a harpy. Once at Camp, they burned their siblings's shrouds - Jana burnt David's, since they had been very close, and remained there even after the ceremony, crying.
    She still mourns for her lost siblings, in her inner, but values her and the survivors's lives and is grateful for those who are still alive.
    Since the battle of Manhattan, nothing notable happened until now.

© Never-Utopia
    [/color][/b]

Last edited by Morgan Landry on 7/15/2014, 5:27 am; edited 10 times in total
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished) Empty Re: Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished)

Post by Morgan Landry 9/28/2013, 6:15 am

I understand this is double-posting, but I couldn't add what I am adding now in the form, because the message was too long. I therefore add several things here:

RP example:

Notes:

Last edited by Morgan Landry on 10/3/2013, 9:09 am; edited 4 times in total
    Jules
    Jules
    Loyal Member

Female
    Number of posts : 2548
    Registration date : 2012-08-04

Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished) Empty Re: Jana Kay Robertson - remake (finished)

Post by Jules 9/28/2013, 10:56 am

I assume the labrys is celestial bronze as well?
    Also has this gift from a god parent and an extra weapon been approved by an admin?
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/28/2013, 11:00 am

Yes it is. Edited.
    And the god parent gift had been granted by an admin, yes. As a proof, click on the link and go to page four, second post: http://www.camphalfblood.org/t10191p75-jana-kay-s-bunk
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female
    Number of posts : 43512
    Registration date : 2008-09-13

Post by Kendall 9/28/2013, 11:16 pm

While I do think that the plant DNA manipulation is an interesting idea, I think it's a bit too extreme, so you should probably tone it down. What is the largest plant she can revive, and how much would a tree grow per day if she tried to use her powers instead of letting it naturally grow?

And for approximately how long did Demeter stay with Jana and her father?
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/29/2013, 8:05 am

Demeter stayed a month with them.

To how low should I tone the plant-DNA-manipulation down? (That power is stated in the Demigod Abilities on Riordan's website, under the abilities for children of Demeter). As stated she can make a plant release toxic pheromones only once a day. To how low should I notch it down then?

It would take Jana Kay 4 to 5 weeks to make a tree grow above two meters height, so it wouldn't grow more than a couple of centimeters per day.

The largest plant she can revive is a bush of one meter in height and width. (No tree, obviously).
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female

Post by Kendall 9/29/2013, 12:38 pm

I'm not asking you to tone down the number of times per day she can manipulate plant DNA, I'm asking you to tone down how much she can affect the plant's DNA (ie: altering poison ivy so that it doesn't produce urushiol anymore changed to only being able to reduce its production by 55% or such). For forced production, set limits for how bad the poisons and toxins can be at the worst (ie: producing poisons that can kill in 10 hours). If she manipulates a plant's DNA to produce things it normally doesn't, I assume the plant would keep on doing so for the rest of its life if it doesn't get sliced to pieces or she doesn't later change it back?
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/29/2013, 1:25 pm

Oh, okay.
    So of course the toxins would be only harming monsters, she isn't too good about releasing human-harming toxins - she goes by intuition if she has to.

She is able to maximize and to minimize the dangerous/toxic parts by 35 percent.
    The worst toxin is a neurotoxin which she can produce only twice a day; it could kill a small hellhound in approx. ten minutes and a Laistrygonian giant in two hours and a half. That is the worst poison she could create. The average poison would be cytotoxins, phenols (tannin, terpene, natrium-ed) or mycotoxins, which could kill a monster in three hours.
    The plant continues to release the toxins for a maximum time lapse of three hours, after that, it mutates back to normal.
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female

Post by Kendall 9/30/2013, 3:16 pm

If she does release toxins that can harm humans, how strong would they be? Are you saying that she only releases toxins for monsters but feels morally obligated not to do so to other humans?

And to address the Demeter thing, I think the most we've allowed a god to stay with his/her child would have been a week.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 10/1/2013, 1:39 am

Okay, I change it to one week.

The toxins would be able to kill a human within four hours, so they are not very strong. They would just provoke a light daze accompanied by some coughing, but if the human manages to get away from the plant quick enough, it would not kill him. Some toxins just make their eyes water, some give them a coughing fit, but nothing serious.

And she would never harm a human unless he or she attacks her.
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female

Post by Kendall 10/2/2013, 5:14 pm

Edit that in and I'll approve this.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 10/3/2013, 6:18 am

Edited.
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female

Post by Kendall 10/3/2013, 3:08 pm

Approved. You have been awarded 3300 drachmas.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/19/2024, 4:15 pm