A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

5 posters

Second annual topic

Holly
    Holly
    Role Playing Legend

Female
    Number of posts : 10415
    Registration date : 2012-02-21

Second annual topic Empty Second annual topic

Post by Holly 7/23/2014, 7:17 pm

Twelve points of life, or rather just twelve points I always strive to fulfill, but it's not as easy as it looks. I guess this isn't like the topic I created last year, speaking out against bullies and the effects of one who is bullied. Well, this year on my annual post like so, I've decided to point out twelve virtues, that I'm sure all of you and I have, although we may not realize it. I'll try to describe them as best I can, maybe share some experience... This actually wasn't the topic I had in mind, the original topic was nightmares and dreams, but I didn't get my research done in time, and it was a little too personal into my own nightmares. So, perhaps next year, or in six months, or who knows? Maybe it'll be done next week. One more thing before I get into the main message, is that I'll try to make topics such these more often, and I'll take ideas and suggestions via pm as well. Now, I guess we should get to the point, yah?

~~~
    •Trustworthy
    •Loyal
    •Helpful
    •Friendly
    •Courteous
    •Kind
    •Obedient
    •Cheerful
    •Thrifty
    •Brave
    •Clean
    •Reverent

Now, from my memory and well, the help of a few devices I have on hand without my constant wifi connection. Basically, my brain and a dictionary that will come in later. Anyhow, the first point is trustworthy.

Now, the dictionary definition of trustworthy, at least the condensed version is 'Able to be relied on, trusting and truthful'. I quite agree with this definition, it points out what it is to be trustworthy, something anyone who wishes to lead should be. Actually, everyone should be trustworthy. Now, there is this fine line in my head as I'm writing this to all of you, and that is to not...hmm how should I word this? Not point fingers, not look down as if I'm better, but yet not look up as if I am lower. I am merely looking eye to eye with all of you, as an equal. Now, I guess I shall get to the next point in the twelve.

Loyal. Loyalty, what's the exact meaning? Well, without looking at my dictionary besides me as I go through Barstow, loyalty, or to be loyal is to be faithful, in a sense. Now, I'm going to open this dictionary and see the definition, so one moment.... Ah, here! Loyal: Giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution. From France actually, via old French: loial, from Latin Legalis. Ok, maybe I didn't need to say the origin, but I did anyway, it's just one of those little facts you now know. Anywho, I wasn't far off the mark with the word faithful. Now loyal in my life, well I guess I'm going to jump into my own life for a moment and well...nope, not this time I'm just not quite comfortable yet, maybe a post later on, as I'm writing this over several days. Next point!

Helpful. Now, the dictionary definition is just as you would think, giving or ready to help. Now I know all of the people here are helpful in some way, each one of us willing to share at least some advice, whether it be pm, post, or chat I've seen about everyone offer some sort of help to another. I'm not going to go personal here, because I would only be able to place one human over another, and that is not right. So, I shall move to the next point I suppose, and here it is.

Friendly. Is there a person that is not friendly here? I don't think there is cause, I mean I'm friends with all of you guys, even if I haven't met you, your a friend! Family! Now, the definition is LONG and so, I'll shorten it to simply the first definition. A person with whom has a bond of mutual affection, typically one of exclusive of dating or family relations. Yes, I replaced one word in there, but I still delivered the point accordingly. Being a friend takes some points from the others I have listed, these points build upon one another, as they are all alike. In a way, it is like playing solitaire. You cannot create one full suit of cards, without building up the others: fairly that is.

Courteous. Ok, this one here is touchy-touchy, in today's society it is, at least at the present moment of my vision. Well, not really a touchy one, but simply the sound provokes it. If you had never known the definition, and only heard this word, well you may assume something different than what this definition suggests: Polite, respectful, or considerate in manner. Are you always courteous? Always considerate? Well...there's the point of 'joking'. Some jokes aren't considerate, and I'm not saying they aren't funny or shouldn't be used, but jokes can go from easy and innocent to racist and sexist within one or two words, and then you may find yourself in a pit or on a mountain, depending on reception. I would say more, but that line is like..perhaps an inch away and I'm trying not to cross it, at least not this time. Now, to the next point of this post...

Kind. Having or showing a friendly, generous and courteous nature. Wow, I feel like I'm in school, looking up these definition! Ha! That's a joke -.- laugh. Jk, you don't have to cause it wasn't that funny. Anyways, kind. Right in the definition, it lists two other points: as I said earlier these are built on one another, kindness is showing friendliness and generosity and such, as the definition above suggests. Next point! :)

Obedient. Whoa! Strong word! Now I say strong cause obedience, obedient...it sounds more like a word for a dog, or animal in a pet sort of way. Now, yes obedience is something people have as well though. To be obedient, is to obey rules and regulations and such. Now, that's my definition real quick, as it's about 6am and I had a rough night, so bear with me please. Now, the actual dictionary definition of obedient is: complying or willing to comply with an order or request. So yes, following rules. Therefore I can say, I am obedient to chb.org as to mean the rules and the administrators.

Cheerful! Oh yay! Lets all be cheerful!!! Now again, this word is one....wait, this point is one that build off of others, and the be cheerful is: noticeably happy and optimistic. Now yes, that's true, but to me cheerful is more than optimism and happiness, it's showing kindness, caring..it's showing the other positive emotions outward and to others. :)

Thrifty. Ha, I always had issues with this one, cause personally, I didn't know what it meant until a few years ago, and well, I'll go personal for this experience, and I'll do y best to remember what actually happened. I think I was in Ohio...yeah it was Ohio, and a Wednesday cause I had youth group that night and several mentions of the word had been used. So, on the two mile ride back home (basically I walked to the location, my dad drove me back) I talked with him and I think if I remember correctly this is what he said. 'Thrifty is like using coupons at the store, like saving money' and yes, that's what it is! The definition as provided by my definition is this: using money and other resources carefully and not wastefully. Bingo, bulleye, flush...done here? XD I guess it's on to the next point!

Brave. We all know what this is right? To be brave, to watch the Pixar movie brave, or braveheart, or to consider yourself full of bravery! Well, the dictionary says this: ready to face and endure danger or pain; showing courage. So bravery ties into being courageous. Now I can't judge others on bravery, nor will I but I know all of us are brave, I'm sure each of us have had that moment where you spring forward and risk feeling pain to help another perhaps. I would go from here to give an example, but I would be putting one above another, and I don't do that, as stated earlier.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Isn't that the saying? Well, clean as you've guessed does not mean just personal hygiene in this context. The definition, is simple, so I won't go to define it entirely but when the virtue clean is said, as above it includes hygiene, but also cleanliness of sin and cleanliness of other such things that are considered dirty by yourself. It's a very...vague concept, because each of us have a different view of what we see as clean, or dirty. I would again give examples, but that line and the lawyers regarding human rights and stuff are staring at me >.< so, onto the next one!

Reverent. Now here is the hardest of all, because...well lets look at the definition first, shall we? The definition as given to me by my dictionary is this: feeling or showing deep and solemn respect. So, to me this means similar to obedient, although to a higher power. Such as this, obedience is to man-made rules and mortal leaders, reverent is more of a respect to a higher power. Now, this is where I can get politically slammed and blah blah blah, because each of us are not united in trusting within one divine power. This site is made if Catholics, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Protestants, Buddhists, Shintoism, atheist, theologians, and so forth. I know people in my real life who celebrate the gods that we use their children for to make this site. So reverence is not something I can say one thing about, because while saying something for one, you take away from another. Therefore, that is all of the points in this message at least.

~~~
    Twelve values, twelve simple words. They can make a world of difference though, depending on how they are used and when. I don't think though, that one should wait for that perfect place and time, because every conversation, every situation, every part of life calls upon at least one of these, and one builds another, and so forth. That's all I really have to say here, so I ask that you read this topic, suggest it to others, and feel free to ask me questions, or to give comments publicly as a reply or privately as a pm. Until my next major message as such of this one...

Your friend,
    Zachattac
    Milocross
    Milocross
    3 parts human, 1 part piano

Female
    Number of posts : 7772
    Registration date : 2010-01-08

Second annual topic Empty Re: Second annual topic

Post by Milocross 7/23/2014, 7:18 pm

wjat
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Post by Morgan Landry 7/24/2014, 3:08 am

Nice topic Zach c:
    Break
    Break
    Dedicated Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1714
    Registration date : 2012-02-13

Post by Break 7/24/2014, 3:43 am

Zach this topic is amazing.
    Grants on making it to
    beanie
    beanie

Female
    Number of posts : 2047
    Registration date : 2013-12-21

Post by beanie 7/24/2014, 7:52 am

i like this. nice job zach.

Post by Guest 7/24/2014, 8:23 am

Does anyone notice that the 12 points are just the BSA Scout Law?
    But anyway, nice topic zach.
    Holly
    Holly
    Role Playing Legend

Female
    Number of posts : 10415
    Registration date : 2012-02-21

Post by Holly 7/24/2014, 1:46 pm

Thank you, and yes, that's where the points came to me from.

If you have suggestions for the next topic, let me kno

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/28/2024, 4:02 am