A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

3 posters

Damion Grey - Melinoe

wolfhowller

Male
    Number of posts : 58
    Registration date : 2014-08-20

Damion Grey - Melinoe Empty Damion Grey - Melinoe

Post by wolfhowller 9/8/2014, 6:19 pm

Name: Damion Grey

Eyes: Pale grey eyes

Hair: Bleach blonde hair, spiked with gel

Height: 5' 9''

Body Type: Thin build, long and gangly

Skin Color: Pale olive complexion; he does not tan

God Parent: Melinoe

Mortal Parent: Desmond Grey

Country of Origin: United States; state of New York

Pets: A hellhound named Skiá. Translated to English, his name means Shadow. This hellhound is still quite young and lacks the ability to shadow travel. He is a bit bigger than an adult Rottweiler.

Talents: Damion is a talented pianist, having taken lessons since he was 5. He continues to play at camp, music being his outlet and only way he can really express himself. The one sport he enjoys is archery. He first started when he was around 6. While he generally likes to play most board games or strategy games, his favorite is chess.

Weapon: Damion is an exceptional archer, preferring to strike at enemies from afar if it is necessary to fight at all. He wields a uniquely crafted bow; the bow is made from stygian iron, enchanted to be as flexible as wood. His quiver is full of a variety of stygian iron arrows, simple in nature. Most are simply razor edged, crafted to pierce most magical barriers. After a random amount of time, the arrows will return to his quiver, restored to their original lethal form.

Personality: Damion typically has a 'glass is half empty' outlook, being able to put a negative perspective on most any situation. He does not intentionally try to see only the bad or negative, but his past makes his view of the world skewed. In line with his attitude, Damion hardly smiles. He also hardly frowns or shows anger. In a lot of ways, he is emotionally impaired. He finds it hard to express an emotion, just as it is difficult for him to read the emotion of others.

Damion tends to take things very seriously. He is not one to joke, nor is he one to enjoy hearing jokes. But, his seriousness makes him great at focusing on tasks at hand. Once a project is set, Damion is determined to finish, usually not willing to stop until it is completed.

Despite usually having a negative attitude and not understanding the social environment, Damion hates to be alone. He enjoys being around the few friends he has. He strives to fit in. Though attaining new friends is often difficult for him.

Flaws: Damon has a difficult time in social situations. He finds most jokes, humorless. When working on a goal or project, Damion can become too focused on accomplishing it, like having tunnel vision. He zeroes in on completing the project and does not see other things that might need his attention as well. He is often so eager to fit in, that he will complete tasks for people, not knowing that they are just using him.

Powers(must relate to god parent; optional): Damion has developed and practiced an ability unique to the children of his mother, the goddess of ghosts. He can project an etheric body of his consciousness. Essentially, he can leave his body in a ghost like state, that can travel around 15 miles per hour continuously. In this form, he is completely invisible and intangible to everyone around him, unless he wants them to see him. The only people who can see him otherwise are gods, other ghosts, or demigods with abilities related to the underworld or magic. This ability makes him an excellent spy, but it leaves his body completely vulnerable. Like a string-less puppet, his body appears to be in a deep sleep. When he is ready to return to his body, he has a natural homing sense of where his body is, if it has been moved while he was gone. Fly into his body is all he needs to do to regain control. In addition, he has developed his skill enough to physically interact with the world while still being a spirit. He can act similar to a poltergeist, flinging and moving objects near and around him. His aiming still needs work, but he is highly skilled in the area after years of practice.

This ability of his has no limits in the distance he can travel in earth's lowest atmosphere, nor does it have a major physical drain on his body. He is limited in how long he can remain outside of his body, the most being about a week. The only physical limitation being that his brain is not in a resting state while he is gone. His brain is not truly sleeping or dreaming since it is, vacant of a conscience. He still requires sleep like everyone else. The main drawback to his power is the tole it can take on his soul. Damion calls it a 'spiritual drain'. While simply observing as a spirit has little drain, extended use of his poltergeist abilities can significantly drain him, with the movement of large objects having an even greater drain. For example, he has often spent many a time scouring the world around him as an invisible observer. He can do this for hours, perhaps days even though he has never tried, without needing to return to his body. But, he can only levitate, throw, or move light objects, around 15 pounds or less, for a limited amount of times a day, around 25 times. This includes a range of around 25 to 30 yards. Throwing the object would be around 18 to 20 yards. The heavier the object, the greater the drain. On average, if the object weights about 30 pounds, then he can move it 15 times a day and a shorter distance.

Extended use of his ability weakens his spirit, and he begins to look sluggish and wobbly. If he was viewable, he would look more transparent the weaker he got. If he overuses his abilities, he runs the risk of disappearing. He fears that he will cease to exist. Minor use of his poltergeist abilities can make his appear tired or fatigued. When he returns to his body, sometimes his body will appear tired or fatigued as well. However, this is just his body sympathetically mimicking the symptoms of his spirit; his body is actually rested even if his brain is not. The other limitation is that he is compelled to follow the commands of demigod children or immortals with control over the dead. The level of compulsion is based on his will power versus the willpower of the commander.

While as an etheric projection or in his human body, Damon can see and interact with spirits of the dead. He lacks the ability to command, summon, or banish them. But, he can ask them for advice or assistance.

Despite his spirit like ability, Damion lacks the illusion capabilities that his other siblings might possess. It is impossible for him to project illusions of the dead individuals that people know.

Life Before Camp: Damion grew up in a small suburb in the state of New York, never wanting for anything. His father, a small town and wealthy politician, provided for his physical and entertainment needs. There was always food available. Many of the latest toys were Damion's His father even had private tutors come in to teach Damion, which helped him excel. However, his father lacked giving him emotional comfort and support. Desmond was, for the most part, not there for his son. The house was always cold and lonely.

Before Damion was born, Desmond, who was just starting in politics, met a very unusual woman. They both bonded over the fact that their parents neglected them. Within a month of first meeting, Melinoe became pregnant, and soon after, she gave birth to Damion. Like all other gods, Melinoe had to leave. Instead of disappearing, to never been seen again, she chose to fake her death. On a cold November night, she was knocked into a mighty river from a hit and run. Melinoe had never revealed her immortal heritage, and so Desmond became severly depressed and withdrawn. He began to focus more on his political career as a way to escape the pain. In doing so, he came his own parents, neglecting his son, Damion.

By the age of 12, Damion finally developed enough courage to run away from home. He could not take living with, essentially, a ghost. The first week was difficult. It took him time to hitchhike and walk to the nearest major city, Buffalo. There, the cold nights became tougher. He would often find shelter in cardboard boxes near dumpsters. Though, his luck eventually changed. A massive dog, or what Damion thought was just a dog, would often bring him scraps of food and lay beside him for warmth. Happy for the companion, Damion named him Skiá. This dog, which he later found out to be a young hellhound, seemed to instantly take a liking to Damion after they first ran into each other. It might of have been their underworld connection that drew the hellhound to protect him. Over several weeks, the hellhound successfully lead Damion to Camp, knowing that he would be safer there.

RP Example: "Your move." Damion said to his hellhound Skiá, giving him one of his rare smiles. His friend was lying on the other side of a chess board, half asleep. "You say, pawn to E7? Good move." Damion moved the black pawn into the position. He then reached across the board to rub behind Skiá's left ear. His left rear leg began to move in response. "Alright, now its my turn. Hmm... you have me pinned between a rock and a hard place." Damion carefully examined the board, before moving his queen to take out the opponent's rook. "Check."

Any notes about your characters:

Last edited by wolfhowller on 9/29/2014, 11:38 am; edited 4 times in total
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Damion Grey - Melinoe Empty Re: Damion Grey - Melinoe

Post by Morgan Landry 9/11/2014, 2:04 pm

Hey!!

→ You say his bow includes both celestial bronze and stygian iron, which kind of fits the definition of mixed-metal weaponry. Therefore I'm more leaning towards no for that. (Also, bows are supposed to be light and flexible, I'm not sure metal parts are good for them...)

→ His first ability sounds a lot like astral trips... in the physical world. If he stays like that for too long, could his body die?

→ You say the ability has no real limits on how far he could travel, so if he wanted, he could take a stroll among nebulae?

→ When you say "spirits" you mean spirits of the dead, right? Because technically, nymphs are seen (among others) as spirits too.

The rest looks good to me :)
    wolfhowller

Male

Post by wolfhowller 9/11/2014, 2:30 pm

Morgan Landry wrote:Hey!!

→ You say his bow includes both celestial bronze and stygian iron, which kind of fits the definition of mixed-metal weaponry. Therefore I'm more leaning towards no for that. (Also, bows are supposed to be light and flexible, I'm not sure metal parts are good for them...)

→ His first ability sounds a lot like astral trips... in the physical world. If he stays like that for too long, could his body die?

→ You say the ability has no real limits on how far he could travel, so if he wanted, he could take a stroll among nebulae?

→ When you say "spirits" you mean spirits of the dead, right? Because technically, nymphs are seen (among others) as spirits too.

The rest looks good to me :)

Oops, I forgot about the mixed-metal weaponry. I was just thinking that it would be interesting to have the two different parts to represent Melinoe's two separate parts. I edited it. As for metal not making a good bow, I edited it so it would make sense. I forgot to include the part about flexibility.

His ability is similar to astral projection, but there are two different projections. He uses etheric projection which is associated with traveling on the physical world. Astral projection, the other projection, is commonly confused with etheric projection. That one is for traveling towards an astral plane, or higher plane. And to answer your question, his body will die if it is not taken care of. His body is in a coma like state, no neural activity except for the autonomic responses from the brain stem. His body can die from dehydration or injury if no one is there to care for it.

I will clarify what I meant about no real limit. I was only thinking of down on earth distance. I was not including traveling through space. He cannot leave earth's lower atmosphere.

Yes, I meant spirits of the dead. I have clarified it.
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female
    Number of posts : 43512
    Registration date : 2008-09-13

Post by Kendall 9/11/2014, 2:54 pm

What kinds of magical barriers can his arrows pierce -- like, force fields that other campers produce or the like?

How large is the hellhound? At most we usually allow ones the size of adult Rottweilers or around there.

I don't think we would allow a hellhound sent by Melinoe to aid her son and bring him to camp -- that's sort of contact with him, and to prevent any demigods from getting unfair advantages, we prefer people to have satyrs/other demigods find the character and bring him/her to camp. He can have a hellhound, of course, but not one sent by his mother.
    wolfhowller

Male

Post by wolfhowller 9/11/2014, 4:03 pm

Kendall wrote:What kinds of magical barriers can his arrows pierce -- like, force fields that other campers produce or the like?

How large is the hellhound? At most we usually allow ones the size of adult Rottweilers or around there.

I don't think we would allow a hellhound sent by Melinoe to aid her son and bring him to camp -- that's sort of contact with him, and to prevent any demigods from getting unfair advantages, we prefer people to have satyrs/other demigods find the character and bring him/her to camp. He can have a hellhound, of course, but not one sent by his mother.

Yes, his arrows can bypass most magical barriers. That does not mean that it will pass all barriers equally though, or exactly straight through. The arrows may be able to penetrate the barrier, but that does not mean the arrow will follow a straight path. It can be altered based on the density of the barrier.

The hellhound his young, so he can be the size of an adult Rottweiler.

Other accepted characters have had monsters lead them to camp before, and they have received gifts from their godly parents. There is precedence.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/13/2014, 6:08 am

Other monsters indeed led characters to Camp before; as for the gift from godly parents, they have to be bought or received on the solstices.
    I'd allow the hellhound to lead the character to Camp Half-Blood, but if you have another view/argument, Kenny, then I'll withdraw.
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female

Post by Kendall 9/14/2014, 12:36 pm

Yeah, monsters have led characters to camp -- but if we did allow it, then they wouldn't (and shouldn't) have been sent by a god to save their kid, as it implies some kind of favoritism that we can't risk. The hellhound is okay, but I was pointing out in my original post that having a hellhound specifically "sent by Melinoe" wouldn't have been.
    wolfhowller

Male

Post by wolfhowller 9/14/2014, 3:59 pm

Kendall wrote:Yeah, monsters have led characters to camp -- but if we did allow it, then they wouldn't (and shouldn't) have been sent by a god to save their kid, as it implies some kind of favoritism that we can't risk. The hellhound is okay, but I was pointing out in my original post that having a hellhound specifically "sent by Melinoe" wouldn't have been.

I understand your argument, but my question is, is it really showing favoritism? To me, it is showing principles of fairness. In a room full of adults, is it showing favoritism for me to give CPR to the one person that needed it? All of the other adults are healthy; they do not need CPR. All I would be doing is giving the person what they needed to be on par with everyone else.

So, what I mean by this is that the god is evening the playing field for their child, not necessarily showing favoritism. We already know that many demigods are found by satyrs and safely lead to camp. But, there are those children that are never found by a satyr, and those children will most likely die. A godly parent that intervenes in this fate is not showing favoritism. They are evening the playing field. The child still has to travel to the camp, and make it without perishing. So, they would still be going through the same process of the other children with satyrs. Showing favoritism could be more along the lines of teleporting them directly to the outskirts of camp, or destroying a monster attacking their child.
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female

Post by Kendall 9/19/2014, 5:17 pm

The issue is that while I do believe in your logic, this god-parent-sends-me-something-for-help scenario has been abused in the far past and can be abused in the future, if allowed to begin again; we don't have these rules in place just to be nit-picky. If we uphold this rule for one person, we'll definitely have to uphold it for everybody else.

Fairness? Perhaps. But the issue with your CPR example is that by normal standards, yes, you should be giving the person CPR if you can -- and that would not be considered favoritism. Favoritism implies that a person is giving you preferential treatment by catering very often to your needs/wants, to the detriment of others. Nobody else will be hurt if you give the person CPR.

However, these are gods we're talking about, not humans. According to divine law (by PJO), gods are not supposed to meddle in mortal affairs most of the time, if ever (although obviously in the books this has been done many times, but that's for the books, not this site). If a god does intervene in some mortal affair, it's a momentous occasion on both ends because a supreme being has helped you (or, more commonly, tried to destroy you) in some way by his/her own will even if you don't know it. Do they do this for all of their kids? For nearly all the characters on this site and the majority of the minor characters in the actual series, probably not. Thus that would make it preferential treatment -- by sending a hellhound to your character's aid but not doing this all the time for the rest of her kids, satyr or no, Melinoe would be exhibiting favoritism because she's left her other kids to die, but chose to intervene for a few. Would this favoritism probably be due to the site rule about contact with god parents? Probably, but at the same time, it's pretty questionable that any god would do this for all their kids, anyway; they can't and probably won't level the playing field for everybody. Favoritism doesn't have to mean that they guide the kid through the whole journey to camp; even helping at one point would count. I'm sure CHB would be a lot bigger if every demigod had survived due to some godly intervention.
    wolfhowller

Male

Post by wolfhowller 9/20/2014, 7:14 pm

Kendall wrote:The issue is that while I do believe in your logic, this god-parent-sends-me-something-for-help scenario has been abused in the far past and can be abused in the future, if allowed to begin again; we don't have these rules in place just to be nit-picky. If we uphold this rule for one person, we'll definitely have to uphold it for everybody else.

Fairness? Perhaps. But the issue with your CPR example is that by normal standards, yes, you should be giving the person CPR if you can -- and that would not be considered favoritism. Favoritism implies that a person is giving you preferential treatment by catering very often to your needs/wants, to the detriment of others. Nobody else will be hurt if you give the person CPR.

However, these are gods we're talking about, not humans. According to divine law (by PJO), gods are not supposed to meddle in mortal affairs most of the time, if ever (although obviously in the books this has been done many times, but that's for the books, not this site). If a god does intervene in some mortal affair, it's a momentous occasion on both ends because a supreme being has helped you (or, more commonly, tried to destroy you) in some way by his/her own will even if you don't know it. Do they do this for all of their kids? For nearly all the characters on this site and the majority of the minor characters in the actual series, probably not. Thus that would make it preferential treatment -- by sending a hellhound to your character's aid but not doing this all the time for the rest of her kids, satyr or no, Melinoe would be exhibiting favoritism because she's left her other kids to die, but chose to intervene for a few. Would this favoritism probably be due to the site rule about contact with god parents? Probably, but at the same time, it's pretty questionable that any god would do this for all their kids, anyway; they can't and probably won't level the playing field for everybody. Favoritism doesn't have to mean that they guide the kid through the whole journey to camp; even helping at one point would count. I'm sure CHB would be a lot bigger if every demigod had survived due to some godly intervention.

Thank you for taking a look into my argument. I do appreciate that. I have edited the history so that Melinoe did not send the hellhound.

For argument's sake though, I probably could have used a better example. Perhaps a teacher helping a child that has extra needs. Anyways, we the gods are not supposed to meddle, but we also know that they tend to ignore this rule sometimes. Many of those times are not large, momentous occasions. Many of those are small, nudges in the right direction. To answer some of your questions, I think that, yes, the gods do help all of their kids at least find a guide to camp. They are all parents. Parents love their children. Even though they cannot take a drastic step in helping their child, I believe that they would help them find support to camp. And by all the children, I mean the very few that are not found by satyrs. Most of the demigods are found by children. I believe that there is only a small amount who are actually not found normally. And since there is only a small amount, there would only be a few children from each god that would need a little assistance. My point is that they are not all surviving due to godly intervention. My point is that the small amount of children who are not found by satyrs will be directed to a satyr or other guide. Beyond that, it would be the demigod's responsibility to make it to camp. Anyways, I just thought that I would share my last thoughts on that. Like I said in the beginning, I have edited my response.
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female

Post by Kendall 9/21/2014, 5:47 pm

Thank you for editing. I'm sorry I hadn't checked your form for 5-ish days; I was busy with school and couldn't be on the site for very long, if at all.

For his powers:
    - When he travels in his etheric form, how fast would he go?
    - When he wants to return to his body, what would he need to do -- go back to it and let his consciousness flow back into his head or such?
    - I think you should reduce how far he can throw/levitate things 15 lbs or less by a quarter or half, even if the items are very light (30 yards is pretty far). When he's throwing a 30lb-ish object, how much shorter is the distance?
    - What would you say is the longest period of time that Damion could hold his form for, if he were merely only observing things?
    wolfhowller

Male

Post by wolfhowller 9/21/2014, 7:04 pm

Kendall wrote:Thank you for editing. I'm sorry I hadn't checked your form for 5-ish days; I was busy with school and couldn't be on the site for very long, if at all.

For his powers:
    - When he travels in his etheric form, how fast would he go?
    - When he wants to return to his body, what would he need to do -- go back to it and let his consciousness flow back into his head or such?
    - I think you should reduce how far he can throw/levitate things 15 lbs or less by a quarter or half, even if the items are very light (30 yards is pretty far). When he's throwing a 30lb-ish object, how much shorter is the distance?
    - What would you say is the longest period of time that Damion could hold his form for, if he were merely only observing things?

I have edited with your questions.

He can travel around 15 miles per hour. He cannot teleport to a person or location to haunt it.

All he needs to do is fly into his body. It will naturally reintegrate his consciousness. Normally, he will wake up immediately. It would be like waking yourself from a dream when you are falling.

I disagree that Damion's throwing distance is too great. Normal individuals can throw a football, which is about 12-13 lbs, over 40 yards on average. And, they would be able to throw the object more than 25 times a day. When you include professional players, they can throw a football over 80 yards. But with heavier objects, I would imagine he could only throw an object 10-12 yards.

I would also like to clarify the distances in case it was not completely clear. He can slowly move an object, of 15 lbs, about 25-30 yards. He can throw an object, of the same weight, only 18-20 yards.

I would say that the longest he could remain out of his body would be close to a year. This is assuming that he was only observing. Towards the end of that year, his spirit would be fairly weak. But, you have to take into account that his body would not last nearly that long if it was not being taken care of. His body would physically die of dehydration first. The commonly held belief is that a person will die within 3 days without water, but that varies depending on how much fluid and weight you have.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 9/29/2014, 4:47 am

A week is the most I'll allow. A year sounds OP. Edit that in and I approve this :)
    wolfhowller

Male

Post by wolfhowller 9/29/2014, 11:38 am

I have edited it.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female