A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

3 posters

Writer Help :D

Laxyak
    Laxyak

Female
    Number of posts : 650
    Registration date : 2010-03-13

Writer Help :D Empty Writer Help :D

Post by Laxyak 10/11/2010, 3:57 pm

I decided to start a thread for basic help in writing and feel-good reminders. Eventually I will post a totally awesome list I came up with in high school, but for now, I will give you a quote from the 2010 edition of Writer's Market. (For those who don't know, this book is a great resource for writers who are in the publishing stage.)

Take rejection with a grain of salt
    Rejection is a way of life in the publishing world. It's inevitable in a business that deals with such an overwhelming number of applicants for such a limited number of positions. Anyone who has published has lived through many rejections, and writers with thin skin are at a distinct disadvantage. A rejection letter is not a personal attack. It simply indicates your submission is not appropriate for that market. Writers who let rejection dissuade them from pursuing their dream or who react to an editor's "No" with indignation or fury do themselves a disservice. Writers who let rejection stop them do not get published. Resign yourself to facing rejection now. You will live through it, and you'll eventually overcome it.
    This goes for critics on sites like this, who are trying to help their fellow creators. I understand if you prefer not to be criticized, but we're only trying to help. If you don't want it, you politely ask for no criticism. I, for one, will respect your wishes. Either way, if you want to write, you should write! Who cares if you have a mistake or fifty. Your ideas and creativity are what matter. So keep writing, everyone!
    Laxyak
    Laxyak

Female
    Number of posts : 650
    Registration date : 2010-03-13

Writer Help :D Empty Re: Writer Help :D

Post by Laxyak 10/15/2010, 6:46 pm

Thnx for the sticky! I feel special :3

Anyway, here's the awesome list I promised you. Bonus points if you can fix every mistake!

1. use CaPitoLs approPriateLy.

2. U.s.e. per.iods .appropriately.

3. Use, com,mas appropriately,.

4. U'se apostrophy's appropriate'ly.

5. Speling es cricketal.

6. Don't use no double negatives.

7. Spell out #s.

8. Using slang ain't no good.

9. Subject and verb was agreed.

10. About those sentence fragments.

11. Run-ons are horrible and people should never use them because they go on and on and get really annoying and peevish especially when they are used over and over again in the same sentence and end up being the whole paragraph and make it hard to breathe when reading out loud.

12. Your writing must have been in the right tense.

13. She had your writing in the right perspective.

14. Hilariously funny and sorrowful adjectives are used in an environmentally good quantity.

15. Space out

paragraphs.

16. Missing words added in.

17. "Dialogue" is contained in quotations.

18. Take out out extra words.

19. Change boring verbs.

20. Sentences paragraph organized in must a be.

21. Say more.

22. Take a break then return a day or two later.

23. Stay on-hey look a bird!

24. Have you said anything too many times? Did you repeat yourself at all? Are there parts that explain the same thing over and over again? Could you cut things out due to redundancy?

25. Homophones should be used holy correct.

26. That there clutter is too much at the present time.

27. It's easier said than done to do in with cliches.

28. "profereading, ur Ritin' as as" bestest as posibible

Don't understand it all? I'd be happy to esplain it to you. You guys can also add your own help, whether it be silly like this list or serious like my first post. Happy writing!
    Aiden
    Aiden
    Role Playing Legend

Female
    Number of posts : 12436
    Registration date : 2010-04-09

Post by Aiden 12/2/2010, 11:20 pm

use CaPitoLs approPriateLy. ~ Use capitols appropiately.

U.s.e. per.iods .appropriately. ~ Use periods appropiately.

Use, com,mas appropriately,. ~ Use commas appropiately.

U'se apostrophy's appropriate'ly. ~ Use apostrophes appropiately.

Speling es cricketal. ~ Spelling is critical.

Don't use no double negatives. ~ Don't use double negatives.
    (May I remind people- two negatives make a positive.
    Example- I didn't do no thing. That's basically saying you did something)

Spell out #s. ~ Spell out numbers.

Using slang ain't no good. ~ Using slang isn't good.

Subject and verb was agreed. ~ Subject and verb must agree.

About those sentence fragments. ~ Those sentence fragments need to be complete. (Or something like that.)

Run-ons are horrible and people should never use them because they go on and on and get really annoying and peevish especially when they are used over and over again in the same sentence and end up being the whole paragraph and make it hard to breathe when reading out loud. ~ Run-ons are horrible and people should never use them. They go on and on and get really annoying and peevish. Especially when they are used over and over again in the sentence and end up being the whole paragraph. It makes it hard to breathe when reading out loud.

Your writing must have been in the right tense. ~ Your writing must be in the right tense.

She had your writing in the right perspective. ~ You need your writing in the right perspective. (I'm guessing this isn't a problem..)

Hilariously funny and sorrowful adjectives are used in an environmentally good quantity. (I don't think this is a problem...)

Space out

paragraphs. (Not a problem...)

Missing words added in. ~ Missing words must be added in.

"Dialogue" is contained in quotations. (Not a problem.)

Take out out extra words. ~ Take out extra words.

Change boring verbs. (Not a problem)

Sentences paragraph organized in must a be. ~ Paragraph sentences must be organized.

Say more. (Not a problem..)

Take a break then return a day or two later.(I don't know what this is...)

Stay on-hey look a bird! (I don't know what this is...)

Have you said anything too many times? Did you repeat yourself at all? Are there parts that explain the same thing over and over again? Could you cut things out due to redundancy? (Not a problem)

Homophones should be used holy correct. (I don't know what this is.)

That there clutter is too much at the present time. (Wait, what?)

It's easier said than done to do in with cliches. (I don't know..)

"profereading, ur Ritin' as as" bestest as posibible ~ Proofreading your reading as best a possible. (I have no idea...)
    Anyways.
    I see a lot of people out there that have the worse sentence structure, spelling and grammar. I can name at least ten. But seriously? I can't understand most of their posts.
    I have a list~
    1. SPEELLNG. Sppelng si ni imortnt. Leik rly impotnt.
    2. cApItOlS. I mean you can put i's and stuff, but you can get cOnFuSeD eAsIly. Doesn't that get annoying sometimes?
    3. Abreviations and shrtcts. Shrtcts lke u and ur and stff- No. Just no.
    4. Periods. PERIODS. When you put two sentences together you should put periods why because it gets confusing when you don't and then you end up not knowing what the person just said because really periods seperate sentences.
    5. Try making longer posts. Don't just put "ok" or "why" or a word. At least five or more words. Make it descriptive, creative...
    I think I'm going to make more later...
    Steve Rogers
    Steve Rogers
    Retired Staff Member <3

Female
    Number of posts : 33821
    Registration date : 2010-07-13

Post by Steve Rogers 2/18/2013, 11:30 am

Here I've got a couple, mind if I add to the list?

1. Avoid alliteration always.

2. Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.

3. The passive voice is to be avoided.

4. Avoid clichés like the plague. They're old hat.

5. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.

6. Writers should never generalize.

seven. Be consistent.

8. Don't use more words than necessary. It's highly superfluous.

9. Be more or less specific.

10. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than an understatement.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content