A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

3 posters

Child of Demeter

Holly
    Holly
    Role Playing Legend

Female
    Number of posts : 10415
    Registration date : 2012-02-21

Child of Demeter Empty Child of Demeter

Post by Holly 1/1/2014, 8:28 pm

•I AM HAVING ZACHARY LEAVE CAMP•

Spoiler:

Name: Annabelle Thornue 'Thorne' Rose
    Her last name, Rose, indicates that she is a descendant of Clan Rose, that is based in Kilravock, Scotland near the city of Inverness and the famous (or infamous) Loch Ness.

Annabelle commonly goes by her nickname Thorne, coined by herself after taking a large interest in botany and biology. It is derived from her middle name, and at times she will say her entire name is 'Annabelle Thorne Rose' instead of 'Annabelle Thornue Rose', or sometimes just Thorne Rose. She enjoys her nickname very much, and is used to any snide remarks or teasing received because of it. She is thinking of legally changing her name to Thorne upon the age of 18.

Eyes: Thorne has bright green eyes that really stand out against her features, causing them to be noticed more often than any other feature. She does wear glasses from time to time for reading, but she prefers to leave them off, to better reveal her eyes. She does wish that they weren't as bright, and were perhaps more of a forest green shade.

The shade of her eyes changes slightly at certain times in certain situations however, such as when using her powers her eyes tend to be brighter because of the greater connection with nature, while in the dark they lose there brightness because of the absence of the sun or other bright lights. These are slight changes however, and are barely noticeable unless you are very observant.

Hair: Thorne's hair is a natural dark red, although sometimes she lightens it, or darkens it for some events or perhaps just day to day. It's very common that around Christmas and New Year's Day, she likes to put some white in it to show off her festivity. The shade of her natural hair has never been properly determined, though she is guessing it is a maroon, or something such as that color.

Often the thought crosses her mind that people judge her by her hair color, and hair color alone so she has considered a permanent dye, though has not had the nerve or the 'push' needed to take such a large step.

Thorne's hair length varies greatly between the different styles she uses. Sometimes she likes to grow it long and keep it smooth and silky. However, sometimes she likes to curl it, or perhaps crop it short. Everything about her length can change because if how she's feeling, or how she is decides to style it for the day. Sometimes a ponytail, or pig tails, maybe a bun or something. She prefers to keep it long and curly, though obviously, that is not the only style or length she uses. Her hair does not change with her powers.

Height: 5:6

Body Type: Thorne's body type is very slim, and attractive, although she doesn't think so at all. Her legs are very slender and smooth, with arms defined by a little bit of muscle while her hair frames her face. She usually receives compliments about her body, and questions from others on how she is so good looking, although she shrugs the questions off thinking the people asking or complimenting only want to try to be her friend to take advantage of her.

Thornes typical appearance when someone sees her, or practically when ever is a charming, sweet, and kind Caribbean girl. She has a very pale skin color, and red hair that contrast against her green eyes. Her eyes will glow a little brighter when she is using her powers. She tends to wear bright, tropical clothing and colors, not one to wear black anything, loving more of the green colors, or some blues and yellows.

Skin Color: Thorne's skin tone is not what people would expect for a girl who grew up in the Caribbean. Her skin tone is actually pale, which she blames on the genes of her father. She is somewhat upset by the fact that she also cannot get suntanned, or sunburned, and has tried everything he could to get a robust sun tan. Unfortunately she hasn't found a way or treatment to give her the tan she desires.

God Parent: Thorne's mother is Demeter, the goddess of Agriculture, Harvest, and Fertility of the Earth.

Mortal Parent: MacArthur 'Mac' Donald Rose is Thorne's father, originating from Inverness, Scotland. After schooling he went to the Caribbean and became a member of a shipping company, meeting Demeter there and eventually having Thorne. After Demeter left and Thorne was twelve, he moved his family along with the company to Virginia beach, Virginia. A little while later he met another woman, and married her, as well as taking in her daughter. He is the only member in the family that knows of the existence of demigods.

Place of Birth: She was born in Bridgetown, Barbados. Bridgetown is the capital, as well as the largest city in Barbados at an average population of 96,578 compared to New York City's 8.245 million. Bridgetown was founded in 1628 by the British, and since then has expanded.

Hometown: Thorne's lives in a fairly large tourist area of Virginia beach, receiving thousands of out of state/country people every year. It is also a fairly nice city though, right on the beach of the Atlantic Ocean.
    Thorne's home is a casual two-story beach house on Virginia beach, east of the city of Norfolk. It is of a wooden construction, nicely hand painted on the outside with large murals and images of ocean scenes from the tropics that Thorne herself painted onto the house from memory. There is no driveway, just a little sand road up to the covering that serves as a small garage, connected to the house. The house is also on stilts, for protection against flood and larger waves that may reach the house in time of a hurricane or extreme high tide. The backyard of this home is simply, the beach. About two hundred feet of sand separates the house from the average tide line of the Atlantic Ocean. She currently lives there with her father, stepmother, and stepsister.

(This is not her ideal location to live however, she dislikes most cities, and wants to live in a pure tropical environment, someplace she can live without rules and create her own little domain within nature. She has sent several requests for her own tropical island, but all have been declined.)

Pets: She has a Yellow Crowned Amazon (it's a parrot) that she's had for two years now and absolutely adores. She named her Misty, after the mists she had around her home prior to acquiring this bird from the local animal shelter that she volunteered at before her current job. Whenever she is at camp she tries to take the bird into her bunk without anyone noticing, but more often then not it doesn't work out and someone discovers the birdcage. She takes excellent care of the parrot, and often talks to it, thinking of it as an extremely close friend.

Talents: Gardening, Botany, Sailing, Swimming, Steel drums, instructing/teaching.

Weapon: Thorne typically has two weapons within her arsenal, each that transform to smaller items. The first weapon is garden sheers, but when she separates the two halves by pulling them apart they change into two celestial bronze, single bladed, swords. The swords are each three and a half feet long. The second weapon she has is basically a chain connected to a sharp metal point which she can use as a whip, rope, or a projectile. The length of the chain is ten feet, and can be broken with a strong blow. Thorne's armor is the standard Greek selection, provided by the camp for use in capture the flag and training. She has no complaint about the armor, other than she would like her own, personal set.

Personality: Thorne has a very friendly and kindhearted personality, open to most: if not all people to be her friend. She loves to enjoy the outdoors, doing the most she can in nature, even sleeping on the roof of her cabin if she is allowed. She is very territorial over plants and plant life, reacting violently when she heard or witnesses nature being destroyed through man made disastersft and processes. She remains mostly an optimist, giving people the benefit of the doubt unless she knows of something in their past that is unforgivable.

Flaws: Easily trusts/forgives people for almost anything. (Some things such as murder she wouldn't forgive, or mercilessly destroying plants). Easy to manipulate. Tends to talk to much on the topic of botany. Can often be 'married to the job' (spending too much time on work so that it conflicts her social life). She can be childish at times. She has a big nose, as well as limited hearing in her left ear. He right arm is an entire two inches shorter than her left, giving her a disadvantage in combat, and other things that require coordination between both hands.

Powers:
    Immunity to natural toxins: This power (ability) enables her to be immune to any naturally (plant based) created poison, hazardous chemical, acid, and so forth. She cannot resist cyanide.

Chlorokinetic Natural Blade Construction: With this power she can transform a part of a plant into a bladed weapon she can use. The strength, size and durability of the blade depends on what material it is created out of. If she were to pick up a leaf, it's edge would sharpen, but would be relatively weak and break on impact. A thick stick perhaps one inch in diameter and three feet long would become a wooden sword, but wouldn't be able to stand up against a metallic weapon for long. She can only use this ability five times within a 24 hour period, and the limit of the largest thing she can transform into a bladed weapon is three inches thick and six feet long. She can only transform materials that are not connected to the host plant (fallen, cut, ect.). Exhaustion follows using the power to the max amount of times. When the weapon breaks, OR loses contact with her hand, it changes back to it's original form.

Life Before CHB*: Demeter met Thorne's father, 'Mac' at a banquet for his shipping company, and fell in love. They dated for almost a year before Demeter had Thorne and left him, though explaining who she was and how to protect Thorne when she grew up. Thorne was born in Bridgetown, Barbados, in early December and only was with her mother for a week before she left, though she didn't understand it and it hurt her emotionally for her early years.

By the time she was five she had plenty of friends and began her schooling under her fathers careful supervision and guidance, as well as some of her tutors and her fathers friends from his work. She found interest in the ocean at a very young age, wanting to learn how to swim and sail as soon a her father would let her. She was taught these early on, around the ages of 6 and 7, as well as several planting and gardening things from one of her best friends mother. She would spend hours on the seashore playing around in the sand, pretending she was a pirate, or something while her friends just watched and sometimes joined in to create several memorable adventures that she remembers dearly and wishes to put to writing when she feels she has a chance. Upon a week after her twelfth birthday, she had to move to the United States.

It was a depressing goodbye for the young girl when she had to move across the sea with her father since his company had moved and wanted him to come with them. She made promises to mail her friends back home and went to the new country with her dad, moving into a home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Thorne was happy to see she would still be near the ocean, in fact only a few hundred feet from it. After six months of living there her father met and married another woman, and in doing that brought in his new wife's child to becomes Thorne's step-sister. At thirteen her father reluctantly sent her to manhattan with a saytr that had been scouting in her school, he only did so because he remembered the warnings Demeter had given him long ago. She was claimed in the strawberry fields. She's been going to camp ever since that first summer, and sometimes during her winter and spring breaks as well. At fifteen her father bought her a boat and she uses that now to get from Virginia to Long Island instead of train, plane, or car.

RP Example*: I smiled to myself, humming a tropical tune as I pulled on the rudder, guiding my sleek sailboat into Long Island sound, and into the camp I loved. My red hair was braided down my back, and my eyes sparkling as I approached the corner of the beach: the grotto where I docked my boat year after year when I came to camp, completing my voyage from my home in Virginia to New York. The salty sea breeze blew back into my face, dropping little bits of water from the sea spray as well.

Locking the rudder in place, I stood and began to lower the sail, storing it below into it's compartment. All I needed to do now was guide my craft, the 'Sea Rose' into the dock by drift, or if I did need an extra push I would lower the motor and let that do the work, I didn't need to rip a sail..,I already had on the journey in a storm. Oh the stories I would tell my siblings in the Demeter cabin! With a grin I grabbed the anchor as my boat floated into the small islet of water.

I threw the anchor over the side with a splash, echoing through the chamber with the sounds of peaceful ripples, a sound I loved to hear. Then, tying the boat the dock and seeing it secured I grabbed my bag and stepped off. My bathing suit was still on me, and I had no notion to change, so instead I just grabbed some jeans and pulled them on, and then pulling a camp shirt over my top, looking at my reflection in the water before leaving the grotto.

I walked along the beach in my bare feet, grinning as I found the joy to break into song: "Living on spongecake, watching the sun bake,All of those tubers, covered in oil. Strumming my six-string, on my front porch swing, smell those shrimp, they're beginning to boil" I continued to walk along the beach, walking up the cliff stairway so I could get to the main camp.

"Wasting away again in Margaritaville, searching for my lost shaker of salt. Some people claim there is one other thing, but I don't. It's nobody's fault...
    Don't know the reason: stayed here all season. Nothing to show but this brand new tattoo...but it's a real cutie, a Jamaican beauty. How it got here I haven't a clue!
    " I laughed and cut the song off, running down into the valley.

Any notes about your characters:
    Race/ethnicity: Thorne's ethnic background is Scottish/Greco-Caribbean. It is this because her father was purely Scottish, while her mother, the goddess Demeter was in the form of a Caribbean woman at the time she had Thorne.

Accent: Thorne has a Caribbean English accent, Barbados dialect. For instance the sentence 'Where is that boy' in English sounds like 'Wherr iz dat boi' She sometimes attempts to speak normal English, fearing that she will be critiqued harshly by other campers because of her Caribbean accent. Due to this fact she prefers to speak Ancient Greek while in camp.

Thorne likes to use gestures and motions while speaking, thinking that it helps showcase the emotions she reveals better, and helps whoever she is speaking to, to understand what she is saying. She tends to speak quickly, the pace being very fast, though not too fast, and when she speaks Greek it is a much slower, steadier pace. Her voice can sometimes get high and squeaky when she is nervous, scared, or excited, though no matter what pitch her voice is, it sounds very cultured, very tropical too in a sense. When she speaks, her posture often changes with her mood, but since she is almost all the time happy, she usually stands straight and tall, but not stiff, more relaxed. Commonly, words relating to botany may pop up, or perhaps phrases such as 'radical', 'outraging', and 'conservation'.

Social status: Thorne's social status at camp is aligned with the activists, green thumbs, and even the geek enclaves, to which some she agrees and some she hates to be referred to as. An activist? Thorne does actually does consider herself to be an activist somewhat, for she wants the plants of the world to be treated fairer than they currently are, and also wants to perhaps stabilize the world for the day that demigods are revealed, that the monsters of this world are finally shown to the people. Green thumb, totally. Thorne loves to be referred as one amongst them because she loves plants, loves nature and spends lots of her time doing something in relation to plants or nature of botany in general. Now, as for being called a geek, often makes her upset or perhaps agitates her. She thinks of her self as a visionary, not a geek, and even if she is seen amongst the faction, she defends herself as not being one of them. However, call her a scientist, or a smart girl, she will be on the happy side. Her desired group would be amongst the counselors and cabin leaders of camp.

Summer or Year Rounder: Thorne still has an active family life during the school year in her home of Virginia, so she only goes to camp during the summer, and often goes to camp whenever her school gives breaks (spring break, Christmas break, ect.). She enjoys camp, sometimes wishing she should stay all year long, but ultimately her dreams of becoming a scientist and getting a great education almost always convinces her to go home for the school year. She still keeps in contact with her friends from camp during the school year and often invites some of her friends over to stay for a few weeks to keep her company, and to make her life more enjoyable during the tough exam times. Recently, Thorne sometimes takes a three day weekend, skipping either Monday or Friday school so she can sneak up to camp to spend a night or two with her siblings or her friends.

Religion: Formally Atheist, she now honors the Greek gods and goddesses as her main religion. I believe the proper term would be Greek Theology (correct me if I'm wrong).

Current occupation: Thorne currently has a part time job at a home and garden store near her home during the school year, after all of her classes are complete. She makes ten dollars an hour there, and enjoys it work within the plants and the different errands she is given for a few extra dollars on top of her normal pay. At times she will work the midnight shift at the local animal rescue and hospital.

Education: Thorne had a full education up to tenth grade, which is what she is currently participating in. She has also had several extra credit courses in botany and biology, and is in honors algebra and science. She currently attends the local public school nearby her home, and thinks of it as a great place to learn, although she has several complaints about it as well. She was leader of the soccer team, although she currently resigned to concentrate on her job and endeavors in botany.

Last edited by Zachattac on 1/7/2014, 11:45 am; edited 3 times in total
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female
    Number of posts : 43512
    Registration date : 2008-09-13

Child of Demeter Empty Re: Child of Demeter

Post by Kendall 1/4/2014, 2:29 pm

... Is there a way you could resize that picture or put it in a spoiler tag? It needlessly stretches the page.

How did her father find this group of other demigods to send his daughter along with them?

By her height, I suppose you mean 5'6"?

For her power, if her weapon is broken, does it maintain its sharpened weapon form or does it turn back to whatever it originally was?
    Holly
    Holly
    Role Playing Legend

Female

Post by Holly 1/4/2014, 3:12 pm

Edited, and the group of demigods found her
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby
    Majestic Unicorn Queen

Female
    Number of posts : 43512
    Registration date : 2008-09-13

Post by Kendall 1/5/2014, 2:06 pm

Did they just stumble on her randomly? Where did they find her?
    Holly
    Holly
    Role Playing Legend

Female

Post by Holly 1/5/2014, 2:36 pm

Stumbled upon her randomly at the beach
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Post by Morgan Landry 1/6/2014, 9:59 am

Can you please add some natural physical flaws? Otherwise she seems physically perfect.

I'm a bit reluctant about her hair shining when using her power. Eyes, okay, but hair...?

How long are the swords?

Would she even resist arsenic or cyanide?

If the weapons don't break, do they still fall back to their original form?

Did her father know they were demigods?

Where did Demeter claim her?

How could the demigods know she was a demigod?
    Holly
    Holly
    Role Playing Legend

Female

Post by Holly 1/6/2014, 10:52 am

Edited.

She can resist natural cyanide, and not arsenic.

Thorne told him about the demigods That found her.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Post by Morgan Landry 1/7/2014, 7:02 am

I wouldn't allow her to be able to resist a dose of cyanide that's normally fatal for a normal human being.

Add another natural physical flaw please. (And please do use complete sentences. It's kind of weird when you read all these long sentences and then suddenly: 'Big nose.')
    Also, on a side note, I'm asking you to add another flaw, because you are only defining her positive aspects, you talk only about them. Since you describe so much, you need to outbalance by flaws.

You say she's been at Camp 'ever since every summer'. Can you please change that?

Also... I am a bit reluctant about her just randomly meeting a bunch of demigods who happen to have a satyr with them. It's a bit.... improbable.

And her father let her go just like that?
    Holly
    Holly
    Role Playing Legend

Female

Post by Holly 1/7/2014, 11:46 am

Edited! And thank you for noticing that improper english
    Kendall
    Kendall
    Mr. Moseby