A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

2 posters

Café

honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female
    Number of posts : 3396
    Registration date : 2011-11-12

Café Empty Café

Post by honey 9/18/2012, 6:27 pm

ooc; Here we are, darling!

bic; Benjamin had only been in America for two months now, and he already knew every single alley, street, and place in Manhattan. He opened the door to the café for Erin. It was a quiet coffee shop, the main colours consisting of soft cream, deep calm blue, and warm shades of brown. It was somewhat dimly lit, but comforting in a way. But the coffee and pastries they sold were absolutely marvellous. Benjamin was convinced it was the best café in all of Manhattan, probably New York and possibly the States, so much more than that dull Starbucks. It sort of reminded him of Mark.

"Hello, Angelo," Benjamin greeted the man at the counter.

"Benjamin!" Angelo smiled. "Wonderful to see you again. And who's this?" He asked warmly.

"This is Erin, from my camp. Erin, this is Angelo. He runs the café with his daughter Lucy." Benjamin explained to Erin, then turned back to Angelo. "I'll have an expresso and a chocolate croissant, thank you." He said the word 'croissant' with an actual French accent. His father's native language had been French, after all. He looked expectantly at Erin.
    WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male
    Number of posts : 5164
    Registration date : 2012-02-06

Café Empty Re: Café

Post by WolfGirl 9/18/2012, 7:11 pm

Erin followed Benjamin into the café and sucked in her breath. The interior was absolutely amazing; different from the standard coffee shops usual dull browns, but not so much that the color scheme stood out. The dim light added a level of mystery and coziness to the place, making it feel more homey. Maybe that was because she tended to be a creature of the night, but whatever the case, she liked it.

She smiled slightly when Ben introduced her, letting her hair fall into her face again without protest. She was shy, but was trying to work on her social skills with little success; she was just too wary.

When it came Erin's turn to order, she scanned the menu quickly and ordered her standard hot chocolate with whipped cream. Okay, so maybe she was a bit of a chocolate addict, but coffee just wasn't her thing. The stuff that she usually came into contact was not grade A coffee.
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/18/2012, 7:35 pm

Benjamin sensed her shyness. He thanked Angelo after indicating the small table for two in the corner, with the window. Sitting down, he inhaled the warm, rich, delicious smell of coffee and chocolate and sweet things that the cafe was full of.

A pretty girl with mousy brown hair, about his age, walked towards Erin and Benjamin, a tray in her hands.

"Hi, Benjamin," She smiled, her cheeks slightly pink, and he deduced it wasn't because of the heat. It was warm inside the cafe, but not hot.

"Hello, Lucy." He nodded.

Lucy giggled, hiding behind her hair in a way not unlike Erin had earlier. "H-Here's your expresso and croissant," She said, setting the food in front of him, "and here's your hot chocolate, extra whipped cream." Benjamin sent Lucy a small smile, and then she scurried off.

"Try it," He encouraged Erin, "It's lovely."
    WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/18/2012, 8:35 pm

Erin forced a smile when Lucy brought their orders over. She was a pretty girl who was a few inches taller than she and looked like she smiled a lot. Her cheeks were pink, and she could tell instantly that Ben had something to do with it. When she giggled and hid behind her hair, an ancient tactic girls employed, her suspicions were confirmed. Ben was good-looking and he was nice guy, but... Oh gods, this was so stupid. She'd just met the guy. It didn't matter if the pretty daughter of the store owner happened to have her eye on him. Jeez.

"Thanks," she said quietly, not making eye contact with Lucy. That didn't mean much, though. Erin rarely met anyone's eyes.

Then Lucy was gone, leaving her semi-alone with Ben. He had a nice voice and when he encouraged her to try her hot chocolate, she hesitated for only a few moments. She shook her hair out of her eyes and raised the steaming cup to her lips. It was hot, but really good. Amazing, in fact. It was sweet and thick, not watery like some others that she had tasted before. It warmed her from the inside out, leaving her feeling almost... complete. She couldn't really think of a better word.

"Oh my gods, this is amazing," she said, voice surprised, but pleased as she lowered the cup. "How'd you find this place?"
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/19/2012, 8:16 pm

B- He smiled, much more genuine than the one he gave Lucy. He tolerated Lucy, and sometimes he could even tolerated her attraction towards him, though it wasn't mutual. She wasn't exactly an idiot like the rest of them; she could see through the mist. She was also clever enough.

"Chasing monsters, and occasionally running from them," He said in answer to her question, "I was running from a hellhound, whose better half I killed." He said dryly, rolling his eyes. "I required a place to hide, and this was the first place I found." Then he started chuckling. "I came in with a bloody harpoon and a bloody me. Usually I can manuever the Mist, but Lucy saw right through it. You should have seen her face." Now he was fully laughing, his mouth in a wide grin.

ooc; Sorry, I'm on my iPod and I hate it :/
    WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/19/2012, 8:57 pm

Erin liked him. Ben had a good smile that made his stern and contemplating features ease up and become lighthearted, almost giving the impression that he was an easy going kind of guy instead of the brilliant thinker. He didn’t look like he smiled a lot, but it was good to know that he wasn’t dead serious and analytical all the time.

And, despite herself, she felt herself loosen up and start smiling too, for real this time instead of her typical shy smile. She could totally picture Ben running into the peaceful coffee shop covered in blood and sweat to get away from a monster, never suspecting that there was a mortal girl there who would be able to see instantly who he was. Oh gods, the look on her face. Erin had to laugh just thinking about that, not just because Ben was laughing, though that was part of it too.

“Oh gods,” she chuckled. “Poor Lu; at least it was just you she had to see and not what was left of the hellhound.”
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/20/2012, 8:02 pm

The big grin fell from Benjamin's face, his mood changing in an instant. "She was very scared," He mused, "Maybe I should..." He trailed off, about to say 'apologise'. He remembered Lucy's face as he'd run in. Shocked, confused, flustered, but most of all terrified. She'd seen all the hellhound gore on him, but she'd been brave and hadn't run away screaming. She'd even asked him if he needed help. Maybe he should apologise. But that was something Benjamin didn't do, unless he didn't really mean it.

Ruminating yet again, he took a sip from his hot expresso. Just a bit hotter and it would have burned his tongue; just a little better and it might have been the nectar of the gods. He quietly hummed his approval, the sound almost like a cat's purr. Lucy knew by now exactly what his coffee preferences were, so maybe instead of apologising, he could thank her. He didn't thank people that often, but it was more common than his apologies. He turned his attention back to Erin.

"Why do you not like your mother?" He asked bluntly, suddenly.

ooc; Example of Benjamin going into Angelo and Lucy Hooper's cafe for the first time:
    Lucy: Oh my god--A-Are you okay? What happened to y-you?
    Benjamin:
    Café Tumblr_lxiuz1doiC1qi0t5fo6_250
    WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/20/2012, 9:48 pm

Erin stiffened when he asked her about her mother. All the laughter died from her face and she seemed to withdraw back into herself again. Almost automatically, a lock of her hair fell back into her face and her thin body cringed back slightly. How'd he know? She hadn't said anything, hadn't mentioned her mom, hadn't done anything that might even vaguely reference her mother... Or had she? Was it because she hadn't given him her last name? But how was he not to know that 'Elizabeth' wasn't her surname?

Avoiding the question wouldn't make him retract it. In fact, just the opposite. It'd confirm that she and her mother didn't have a good relationship.

Upset and slightly unnerved, Erin raised her head slightly to meet his eyes. Gods, he had amazing eyes. "My mother abandoned me when I was eight," she muttered. "William and his girlfriend raised me."
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/21/2012, 8:48 pm

Benjamin had showed enough emotion for one day, far too much. He just stared at Erin, his whole face unreadable. Not even his eyes gave anything away. He steepled his hands under his chin, studying her as she cringed, seeming to shrink. Her reddish brown hair hid her face partially and the amusement vanished from her dark eyes. Sentiment, he thought scornfully. Where had that gotten him? Hiding from Mark Watson, watching Mark suffer, running from England. Caring was not an advantage. She would do good to learn, though he wouldn’t be the one to teach her that.

“Mm.” He didn’t take his eyes from hers. “Your brother. Where is your mother now?” He asked, and then stopped himself. Irrelevant. “No, no, don’t answer that—it was irrelevant.” Benjamin could just imagine Mark’s reaction. Benjamin would look over at Mark, and Mark would tell him a bit not good, Benjamin. He’d be referring to Benjamin’s ‘lack of empathy,’ but really. Would caring about someone help save them? No.

He dropped the whole issue, his ambiance switching gears again. He sighed, taking another couple sips from his coffee, biting into his croissant. He asked a more friendly question. “Did you—Do you like your brother’s girlfriend?”

WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/21/2012, 9:19 pm

His blank face gave nothing away. It was completely closed off, forming an expressionless mask that even she was unable to penetrate. He had shut him out completely and she could not see or read the emotions that usually lay in the eyes, in the lines of one's face, in the motions one made while they were answering or trying to think of something to say. But he seemed to shut that off. Immobile and face hard, his strange eyes looked into her dark ones, studying her. And it was that which told her that he felt contempt for her emotion.

Why? Didn't it prove that she was human? Erin had tried for so long to cut herself off from people, to not think and try not to feel... But he had realized that something was happening to her. She was being almost robotic, only reacting without really living. So when she reached Camp, she allowed herself to let go of herself just a little bit... Enough to recall how it felt to be alive. When she looked at Benjamin's face, she saw that he was still trying to shut down that part of himself, still trying not to feel.

"Will's in Iraq," Erin replied, her own expression hardening. She had always needed a good stone face whenever she was talking about Will anyway. He had been the only person to ever treat her like she mattered. "Celeste... was nice," she said.

Her voice was detached, cool. It was not quite hostile, but it wasn't friendly either. It sounded more like it was trying to sound strong, but couldn't quite do it. And why? Because she foolishly allowed her emotions to get in the way.
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/21/2012, 10:31 pm

Benjamin raised an eyebrow at her. She obviously didn’t mean the indifference in her voice, obvious, and he felt the childish urge to point it out to her. Point out her mistake in trying to be like him.

“You don’t mean that, your tone, obvious. Don’t listen to me, at least not when I’m deducing irrelevant facts like such about your mother. It was simply a matter of curiosity. I haven’t had a… case in a very long time.” He shrugged. It was very much irritating, having no Mark and no cases and no violin to distract his mind. He couldn’t and didn’t expect Erin to know that, of course.

And he could feel her distress. For some reason, he was not indifferent to her distress.

“I mean,” He hesitated, for once awkward, trying to figure out what he was trying to say. He meant that he found her upset very much displeasing, that he did not like the cold expression on her face, and did not like that it had been his fault.

“Don’t mind me.”
    WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/21/2012, 11:08 pm

She ran a hand distractedly through her hair, staring at him with wide eyes. "A case?"

Erin sounded faintly surprised, a tinge curious, and faintly ironic. Oh, how it all made sense. He probably had a Watson character back wherever he came from - England, probably. Son of Athena, he was the ultimate Sherlock Holmes come to life. She hardly knew much about the famous detective or his story, but it was impossible not to know his name or that he was a genius. There was no way to win, because he was the ultimate master of the game. He had her figured out somehow.

The daughter of Pothos was starting to get scared now. So was that all she was to him? A case? A lost cause or a puzzle that he wanted to figure out because she intrigued him? Was that all? She felt hurt at this thought, but didn't show it... or tried not to. Feeling mixed up and confused, she took another sip of her hot chocolate, looking away from him.

But instead of retreating into herself and wallowing in self pity, Erin forced herself to meet his gaze once again. Gods, she made herself sick. "So what's your story?" she demanded brazenly. Or at least, boldly for her. "What was your life before you ran away?"

Last edited by WolfGirl on 9/21/2012, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Lack of the letter 'a' before 'Watson'.)
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/22/2012, 1:20 pm

Benjamin now dropped his gaze. Why did she want to know this? Well, he decided, it’s only fair to tell her after you basically told her life’s story.

“I lived right in the heart of London, with my father and brother.” He wrinkled his nose. “If you were to ask my brother what he did for a living, he would have told you he had a minor position in the British government. Truth is, he is the British government.” He paused, a sad, melancholy sort of aura shrouding him.

“I didn’t want anything to do with them, so I tried to … rebel? No, that’s not the word exactly. Anyhow, I went on my own, choosing to go to a private school, not one of those bloody posh public schools my brother went to. I met Mark Watson there, at the private school.” His tone seemed to soften, become sad. “He was my friend. I took him on a case, and everything was perfect.” He stopped again, and then barreled on. “I was a consulting detective, see, the only one in the world. I invented the job. School was so boring, I had to do something in my spare time. Then Alexander Moriarty happened.” All at once, Benjamin’s unhappy tone changed to contempt, to utter loathing.

“Moriarty was the Napoleon of crime. He threatened to kill Mark, unless—” He hadn’t realised he’d spoken so much, given so much away. He glanced up at Erin, and decided to Hades with it. Someone besides his brother ought to know. He steeled himself and sat up straight, rigid.

“Unless I killed myself. I… tried to find a fault in his plan, but nothing. Moriarty shot himself before I could find out the key. I jumped off a building. And Mark watched.” His voice finally broke, and he stared wide-eyed down at the table.

“It was the only way—Mark needed to believe that I’d died, that I was a fake, that I wasn’t as ‘clever’ as everyone knew I was—If he didn’t he would die!” The words exploded out of Benjamin, hurried and desperate, like he needed to excuse or defend himself. His chest rose and fell rapidly as buried his face in his hands. He’d watched Mark suffer because of it, he’d seen Mark cry at his tomb stone, and Benjamin hated himself for it.

WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/22/2012, 1:57 pm

Erin watched Ben carefully while told her his story. Dang, it was like hearing something from some old movie or spy book. Things like that just weren't known to happen in the real world. The action, suspense, the danger was all just an idle dream to most people. But Ben had lived it, whether through choice or necessity, it didn't matter... Though, at first, it had definitely been choice. Later on, perhaps not so much. Mark had suffered and that clearly made him few few steps past plain upset. Devastated might be a better word.

But something didn't make sense. Frowning slightly, she folded her hands on the table and looked at him carefully. "Why did Moriarty shoot himself?" she asked slowly. "I'm sorry, but that just seems backward to me. Someone like that wouldn't kill themself unless something major was going on... or unless they knew they were caught... But with you quote dead, he wouldn't have anything to worry about because he had you effectively blackmailed." Her mind was trying to figure something out that she did not completely understand.
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/22/2012, 2:06 pm

Benjamin didn’t dare look up. His eyes were wet and he would allow no one to see that. His voice came muffled from his hands.

“Because he did have the key, he could call them off, if he wanted to. He had snipers posted. If I didn’t jump, they’d shoot Mark. If Mark found out about it and tried to escape, they’d shoot him. If Moriarty shot himself, they’d shoot unless I jumped soon after. When Moriarty killed himself, if I or Mark moved out of their sight, they’d shoot Mark.” He tried to explain. “It was virtually flawless.”

Finally he couldn’t stand it. He glanced up at Erin, his eyes rimmed in red. He was searching, looking for any human reaction.

ooc; Oh my gosh this is the worst post in the world compared to my last one
    Ew
    WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/22/2012, 2:22 pm

The careful control in Erin's dark brown eyes shifted to empathy, but it still didn't make sense. It just wasn't logical for someone powerful enough to control those snipers and get to this critically important key before Ben to kill themselves immediately after their devious plans worked out. It would have served no purpose. All the planning and deducing would have been for nothing. She refused to accept that that was the end of it. No, there just had to be more to it. Moriarty wasn't an idiot; he had to be a part of something bigger than himself for what Ben had just explained to her to be worth believing.

She shook her head, clearly distressed. Ben didn't deserve that kind of a fate. She'd hug him if she wasn't fairly certain that he'd push her away and state exactly how fine he was. Later, she'd try to ask him about it, but not now.

Erin tried to smile. "Well, you live to fight and die another day," she said, referencing Breaking Benjamin. "You might yet find Mark again someday." Ugh, that last sentence sounded so cliché.

ooc: Haha, no worries! My last was rubbish.
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/22/2012, 2:26 pm

ooc; I'll post in a while, I have to go. LOVE YOU!!!
    WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/22/2012, 2:48 pm

ooc: You too!! I've to head off for some school function in twenty minutes, so I'll be out of action for a bit.
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/22/2012, 7:04 pm

ooc; OH MY GOSH I CAN JUST IMAGINE THEM HUGGING
    IT’D BE SO ADORABLE AND SO AWKWARD AT THE SAME TIME
    THEY SHOULDDDD

bic; He heard her words and his brain catalogued them; the reference was from an American band called ‘Breaking Benjamin,’ and sickeningly accurate. Benjamin was actually rather broken. But how, how, how had this puzzlingly ordinary girl managed to crumble his stubborn defenses in one unwitting sweep?

“I can never be with Mark again, not unless my brother finds Sebastian Moran—the sniper, and Moriarty’s best man. His second in command. It is highly likely that Moran built some sort of romantic attachment to Moriarty, and love is a higher motivator than hate. And Moran loved Moriarty; Moran hates me, hates my memory.” He sighed, rubbing his face tiredly.

“And even if my brother finds him, how could I ever face Mark? Mark is the best person in the world, and he’s honest. He’d hate me.” His cupid bow’s lips trembled, and he bit the inside of his cheek. Shut up, Holmes. Shut up now, his mind warned.

“I’m sorry,” Benjamin attempted a weak smile. “I know I am terrible company—my apologies for being even worse than usual, Erin.” He tried somewhat changing the subject.

WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/23/2012, 5:00 pm

Erin wished that she could understand what was really going on here. Admittedly, Ben would probably never willingly reveal to her exactly what was the real purpose for the life he lead and what was actually going on, but still. If only she could really understand the situation, the people involved, the overall goal. But she had only met Ben today, and all she knew about him was minuscule compared to all that he was. Comparatively speaking, she was peering through a keyhole, and what it showed her was more than limited. The way he spoke about Mark made her wonder if he and Mark had been more than simply best friends. Eh, it didn't matter; it didn't change his character.

She saw his lips tremble as he smiled weakly, and her heart went out to him. He'd been strong for so long... And it was killing him on the inside. Gods, she felt so bad for him, because she knew that his life easily could have been just like that of any other child had he not been a demigod.

Before she could think better of it, Erin got up and sat next to him. Thank the gods that they were sitting at a hybrid between a booth and legit table, because it wouldn't have worked half so well if they'd just been sitting at a two person table. Sitting next to him, she wrapped her arms around him in a hug. Erin was going for comforting and not awkward, but guys could take things in completely the wrong direction sometimes

"You're not terrible company," she said firmly, making herself pull away from him. "You're a good person. Okay? I mean it, Ben."

ooc: One adorable and awkward, fresh off the computer!
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/24/2012, 6:50 pm

ooc; working on it
    I'll post as soon as I finish this other one I've been procrastinating on
    give me ten-ish minutes
    WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/24/2012, 6:55 pm

ooc: No worries! I'll finish up my homework so that I won't get kicked off early for not doing it.
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/24/2012, 7:04 pm

Benjamin froze when she hugged him, his body surprised at human contact, and he realised how much his body—simply transport—had missed it. He relaxed, very slightly leaning into Erin’s slim frame, and he felt just a little cold when she pulled away. But at the same time, he was relieved when she did, because his mind had started racing, trying to catalogue the embrace.

He listened to her tell him that he was a good person. Exactly what Detective Inspector Lestrade’s son, Robert, had told Mark; Benjamin was a great person, and that he thought if they got very, very lucky, Benjamin might even be a good one. He… appreciated the words from both Robert and now Erin, but admittedly he was analysing her tone as she said them.

She still had questions, and he wanted to answer them.

“Thank you,” He said, his voice quiet, polite, but not detached. He wasn’t denying or accepting her kind words.

“You have questions, and I’d like to answer them.” He prompted, scooting over to give her more space on the bench-seat thing.

WolfGirl
    WolfGirl
    Experienced Member

Male

Post by WolfGirl 9/24/2012, 7:29 pm

Erin held back a smirk at his expression; he looked like his mind was going about a million miles an hour with trying to analyze her hug. Jeez, being a consulting detective and a son of Athena must be a rough deal sometimes. His look of fevered debate turned to one of thoughtful contemplation, and she assumed that he was thinking her words over. Like her, he liked having things figured out.

When he asked her what other questions she had, Erin hesitated slightly. She didn't want to make him upset again. After a moment, she shrugged slightly. Well, to heck with it.

"Tell me more about you," she asked him with a faint smile. "Maybe the timing's off, but, as a general rule, I don't consider people to be my friends unless I at least know their favorite color." Her shy smile turned to a grin. Okay, so she was weird, she got that.
    honey
    honey
    Loyal Member

Female

Post by honey 9/24/2012, 7:54 pm

Benjamin spared her the scathing, unnecessary remarks about how he didn't have friends. His lips twitched in amusement.

"Blue. Dark blue." He told her. "I play the violin, sometimes I don't speak for days on end, I'm not particularly fond of eating or sleeping--useless, pedestrian, and tedious--I was born in Kent into an annoyingly rich family, used to be married to my work--anything else?" He wore a full-blown smirk now, looking side long at Erin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content