A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

3 posters

Olivia Bates - Nemesis

Dunkaroo
    Dunkaroo

Male
    Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2015-08-21

Olivia Bates - Nemesis Empty Olivia Bates - Nemesis

Post by Dunkaroo 8/22/2015, 10:42 pm

Name: Olivia Bates
    Mortal Parent:
    Hector Bates; an esteemed homicide lawyer, Hector was an unshakable idealist. Owing to numerous careful investments and a talent for eliciting the truth that made him invaluable to his firm, Hector could afford to have most of his work be pro bono. He caught Nemesis' eye due to his rigorous dedication to both the truth and justice.
    God Parent: Nemesis
    Date of Birth: May 29, 1999 (16)
    Place of Birth: Ottawa, Ontario
    Hometown/Last Residence: Ottawa
    Race/ethnicity: French Canadian.
    Accent: None; despite her ethnicity, Olivia has only ever lived in Ontario. Her father rid himself of his accent when he left Montréal.
    Skin Tone: White
    Eye Color: Green
    Hair Color: Black
    Hair Length: Shoulder length.
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 155 lbs, or about 72 kg.
    Body Type: Ectomorph
    Appearance:
    Lending to both her ethnicity and her body type, Olivia has a lanky body with a thinner, sharp face. While her arms are almost perfectly proportioned to her body, her legs are quite long. As a result, she can seem gangly. This does not, however, mean she is uncoordinated; Olivia prides herself on her ability to move with both grace and purpose.
    Weapons:
    Bow:
    Quiver:
    Chréos:
    Armor: None
    Pet(s): None
    Skills/Talents:
    - Proficiency at Archery due to both her training at CHB and a hobby as a child
    - Decent swordplay
    - A knack for solving logic-based puzzles
    - Olivia has a knack for spotting liars. This owes to both watching her father as a child and because of her godly mother. If she pays attention, Olivia can notice small physical and verbal ticks that help her know if a lie is being told. Obviously, with enough practice, anyone can quell their physical reactions and anyone who's proficient at lying is almost entirely immune.
    Flaws:
    - Fickle
    - Judgemental
    - "Lone Wolf" attitude
    - Incredibly opinionated
    - Holds grudges almost indefinitely
    - Olivia is a perfectionist; because of this, she can often push herself too far in her training and others often fall short of her expectations.
    Strengths:
    - Extremely logical; her opinion can be almost instantaneously swayed by reasonable and understandable logic. As such, she's not prone to emotional outbursts nor is she emotionally unstable.
    - Very agile and fast, owing to her cross-country running as a child
    - Resourceful
    - High willpower
    - Flexible, due to her proficiency at gymnastics
    Weaknesses:
    - While Olivia is toned and certainly capable of wielding her own weapons, her lanky body lacks in brute force. This makes her largely unable to take bulky opponents head-on; instead, she has to rely on her speed and agility.
    - While some may consider it a pseudo-strength, Olivia has a logical mind; this makes empathy difficult. Because of this, she's bad at teamwork and cooperation.
    - Olivia does not trust authority; until proven otherwise, Olivia distrusts leaders. This makes her question - and sometimes outright refuse to follow - orders.
    Likes: Judge Judy, rich foods(poutine), seafood, darker colours, gymnastics, and J. K. Rowling.
    Dislikes: Bigots, injustice, soup, bright colours, and misogynists.
    Fears: Anarchy, betrayal, and air planes.
    Personality: While polite and a good listener, Olivia can seem capricious and fickle. She bases almost all of her actions off of logic; this makes emotions difficult to process for her and empathy almost impossible, while giving her the ability to shift opinions and values much quicker compared to other people as long as reasonable logic is involved. She's strong-willed, opinionated, devoted to the truth, quick to act, and incredibly slow to forgive.
    Abilities: None
    Powers: None.
    Social Status: Her family is particularly wealthy; she inherited both a hefty lump sum and a large trust fund from her father. She's able to blend in high-class social situations.
    Summer or Year Rounder: Year rounder. Due to her father's recent death, she doesn't have much reason to leave.
    Years at Camp: 3; this is her fourth year, and her first three were spent as a summer camper.
    Life Before Camp:
    Olivia was raised in Ottawa, Ontario, by her father; an esteemed homicide lawyer based out of a large and wealthy firm. Her father knew about her godly parentage from his own deduction and confirmation from Nemesis, and while he never told her until it was time for her to attend camp, he did push her towards a variety of activities and hobbies he thought she'd find useful: from archery lessons, to cross-country running, to gymnastics. She excelled in school, particularly in mathematics and social studies. Her father was a strong yet virtuous man, and raised to her to be both strong in will and morals. Unlike her father, however, Olivia is quicker to judge and has trouble empathizing. This made her unrelatable to her peers, and she suffered loneliness because of it. A few days before her thirteenth birthday, Olivia's father told her about her mother and the kind of life and choices she'd soon have to make. He brought her to Camp Half-Blood, where she attended her first summer. When she returned to her father in the fall a more realized person, he knew she had made her choice. Three years later, her father passed away when his firm's private plane crashed on it's way to a large political summit. After attending his funeral and making her peace, Olivia returned to Camp to see what the future she'd chosen held for her.
    Role-playing Example:
    She was bleeding.
    The thought was out of her mind as fast as it came; no time to linger. No time to waste. Her hand swiftly rose to her quiver, and she strengthened her pose. Notching another arrow, her bloodied hand smeared the beautifully crafted shaft's feather red. Her eyes narrowed, all focus on her target. A drop of sweat, an intake of breath; she felt her arm tremble as the force of the bow string nearly knocked her entire weapon out of her sore and battered arms. She felt the arrow more than she saw it. A mere moment later, the shaft embedded itself in the makeshift target. Yellow; a near-perfect shot. With a click of her tongue, Olivia surveyed the practice range. Eight targets, eight shots, five yellows, a bullseye, and two reds. Exhaling a soft sigh, she rose her arm to her quiver once again. Her muscles throbbing with pain, she imagined a furious minotaur charging towards her. A drop of sweat, an intake of breath; a brilliant streak of crimson-stained lethality, a felled enemy. Bullseye. A rare smirk passes on her thin face, gone as soon as it came. No time to waste; no time to linger. Another arrow finds it's way to her bow; another target marked with rigid, bloody perfection.
    Notes:
    Spoiler:

Last edited by Dunkaroo on 8/23/2015, 5:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female
    Number of posts : 2302
    Registration date : 2014-12-31

Olivia Bates - Nemesis Empty Re: Olivia Bates - Nemesis

Post by Kwacken 8/23/2015, 12:49 am

1. You forgot to actually put Nemesis under Godparent...

2. Hector is talked about in present tense under Mortal Parent, but then is killed off. Pick one :up

3. Okay, is the ability really more an ability or a talent/skill?
    Dunkaroo
    Dunkaroo

Male

Post by Dunkaroo 8/23/2015, 4:20 pm

Bad Robot wrote:1. You forgot to actually put Nemesis under Godparent...

2. Hector is talked about in present tense under Mortal Parent, but then is killed off. Pick one :up

3. Okay, is the ability really more an ability or a talent/skill?

1 & 2: Woopsie. I really shouldn't write forms at night.

3. Since it's slightly amplified by her Godparent, I was waffling a bit between the distinction. But I can toss it in skills, sure.
    Mason
    Mason
    Role Playing Legend

Male
    Number of posts : 11340
    Registration date : 2011-11-05

Post by Mason 8/23/2015, 5:10 pm

Is this supposed to be a detailed form, and you just put it in the wrong section? You could make a nice sum of drachmas if it is.

-I honestly see the the debated talent as more of an ability. Manda knows more than me at this point about this kind of stuff, but if it's anything from her godly heritage, I think of it as an ability. I'll get another opinion, so please hold tight with this.

-Are you aware that she's very tall for her age? That's around the size of an average full grown man. It's allowed, I believe, I would just like to see if you're aware of this.

Very nice form. Nice detail. Keep up the good work (and sort of late welcome to the site :D).
    Dunkaroo
    Dunkaroo

Male

Post by Dunkaroo 8/23/2015, 5:22 pm

Mason wrote:Is this supposed to be a detailed form, and you just put it in the wrong section? You could make a nice sum of drachmas if it is.

-I honestly see the the debated talent as more of an ability. Manda knows more than me at this point about this kind of stuff, but if it's anything from her godly heritage, I think of it as an ability. I'll get another opinion, so please hold tight with this.

-Are you aware that she's very tall for her age? That's around the size of an average full grown man. It's allowed, I believe, I would just like to see if you're aware of this.

Very nice form. Nice detail. Keep up the good work (and sort of late welcome to the site :D).

--> I did put it in the wrong section. Embarassed

--> Okay. I'll keep it in Skills for now, until confirmation rolls in

--> Yes; she's meant to be very tall. But after some more research, 6' is a bit much. I'll knock it down to 5'10" to be a bit more realistic.

--> Thank you. Very happy
    Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female
    Number of posts : 2302
    Registration date : 2014-12-31

Post by Kwacken 8/23/2015, 5:32 pm

- 6'0 is actually fine. Most women are fully grown at 16 while most men can grow an extra inch or two until they're 18ish.

- After much due consideration, we are leaving it as a skill, because she had to learn how to do it.
    Dunkaroo
    Dunkaroo

Male

Post by Dunkaroo 8/23/2015, 5:39 pm

Bad Robot wrote:- 6'0 is actually fine. Most women are fully grown at 16 while most men can grow an extra inch or two until they're 18ish.

- After much due consideration, we are leaving it as a skill, because she had to learn how to do it.

--> I think I'll keep it as 5'10". Feels like a better fit, somehow, but thanks for the information!

--> Sounds good; that makes sense.
    Mason
    Mason
    Role Playing Legend

Male

Post by Mason 8/23/2015, 5:45 pm

Alright, last question and then it'll be ready for approval! Did her father know her godly parentage from Nemesis herself or from a a letter that would've arrived shortly after birth or?
    Dunkaroo
    Dunkaroo

Male

Post by Dunkaroo 8/23/2015, 5:50 pm

Mason wrote:Alright, last question and then it'll be ready for approval! Did her father know her godly parentage from Nemesis herself or from a a letter that would've arrived shortly after birth or?

--> In my head, part of the "courting" process was Hector managing to figure out the truth. But headcanon isn't canon until you write it, so I'll edit it in there. Rolling Eyes
    Mason
    Mason
    Role Playing Legend

Male

Post by Mason 8/23/2015, 5:59 pm

Approved! First approval, yay.

You've earned 525 drachmas.

Sponsored content