A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

3 posters

Stuck in the Middle

Laxyak
    Laxyak

Female
    Number of posts : 650
    Registration date : 2010-03-13

Stuck in the Middle Empty Stuck in the Middle

Post by Laxyak 12/16/2010, 11:14 pm

My beta readers haven't given me feedback yet, so I'll just post. This is my first Percy Jackson fanfic. It take place after TLO but before TLH because I don't have to worry about getting things wrong. I also incorporate some of my own plots, and I may add more stories in later. The title is subject to change. Enjoy!

----------------------------

Chapter One- Death Comes too Close
    (Part One)

Avery broke camp with Michael and Soren. They were so close, just two more hours. Then they would be safe, beyond the borders of Camp Half-Blood. At one time they had all been campers, but things didn't work out. Years had passed since any of them stepped foot there.

Avery looked east, the direction they were heading, and placed a hand on her belly. The action was so automatic since she got pregnant four months ago. She looked at Soren and smiled. His black hair glinted in the rising sunlight. Her husband would have a safe birthday next week, if all went well.. He sensed her gaze and looked up at her with his dazzling gray eyes. He smiled back with a weary but warm grin.

“Hey lovebirds,” Michael said. “You gunna help or not?”

Avery laughed and began rolling up the sleeping bags. The morning was so peaceful, with the last scraps of snow clustered at the foot of trees. It was hard to believe there were such things as monsters in the world.

Soren threw a pinecone at Michael and the two laughed as well. He asked, “Can't you just... I don't know, make everything pack itself or something?”

Michael held up his hands. “Hey, just 'cause my dad is Hermes doesn't mean I'm magic with travel supplies,” he joked.

Soren grumbled, but it was in jest. He didn't mind the work if it meant he could keep his wife and child safe. He to prayed his mom there wouldn't be any monsters for the rest of the trip, but that wasn't really Aphrodite's department. He looked at Avery again. The morning sun made her red hair glow like a halo, and he fell in love with her all over again. Who cared that she hadn't brushed it yet, and that her curls were mostly frizz?

“Are we set?” Avery asked, hands on her hips.

“Nearly,” Michael replied. “Should I Summon a car?”

“That's way too big for you,” Soren replied. “We might need you to fight, which you won't be able to if you're out cold.”

“True,” Michael said. “You'd die without my skills.”

Soren gave him a punch in the arm. “Uh-huh, sure, you're the tough guy.”

Michael laughed. “Then how about you Jump?”

Soren thought it over. “Okay, but I can't go the whole way.”

Avery put a hand on his shoulder. “Don't knock yourself out this time.”

Soren nodded. “Don't worry, hon. I know my limits better now. Okay, you guys ready?”

Soren raised his hands and concentrated. Then he lowered them in opposite arcs, creating a semi-circle. As his hands dropped, the air in front of them flashed and wavered. A rainbow filled the area Soren drew out, then fadded to reveal a different forest than the one they were in.

Soren wavered a bit. He smiled. “Here we go.” He led the others through, making sure they stayed with him the whole time. Once they all passed the void, Soren waved a hand over the spot and it dissipated. “We should be only a mile from Half-Blood Hill. We'll be there before—”

A hellhound jumped from the surrounding forest. Michael already had a Celestial-Bronze sword out and saved his friend from being lunch; with a stroke from his sword, the big, black dog disappeared into golden powder. Five others circled around them.

Michael said, “Looks like the light show got to them!”

Soren pulled out a dagger, and Avery pulled off her golden arm band. It turned into a scyth, but Soren held her back.

“I can't let you get hurt when we're almost there,” he said.

“I'm fine!” Avery replied. “There's too many for just the two of you!”

“There's too many for the three of us,” Michael retorted. “We gotta run. Any ideas?”

Avery thought for a minute, but fighting monsters wasn't where her knowledge lay. In the silence, another hound bounded forward, triggering the rest to punce. The three demigods were forced back to back and could only defend.

“We have to distract them,” Avery managed to say. “Michael, Summon some meat and throw it far from here. Then we'll run.”

“I have a better idea,” Michael said. He reached into space and pulled out a giant gun. “Who's hungry?” he shouted. He pulled the trigger and a wad of wet, red meat shot far into the sky. The hellhounds followed the projectile with their noses. Michael shot four more and the creatures raced after them.

“They won't be gone long,” Soren warned. Sweat dripped down his back. “Let's get moving.”

The three ran from the clearing. They heard disgusting ripping noises behind them, but the meat didn't last long. After less than a minute, the hounds turned back for more.

“Keep running!” Soren shouted. “We'll make it!”

Michael wished he had some of his father's flying shoes, but he didn't have to Summon them and put them on. Then he though of a jet pack. Would he be able to pull that through while running? Would he have enough energy to get three, or even two? He put his hand out, but couldn't concentrate.

“What—are you—getting?” Soren asked, breathless.

“Doesn't—matter. Can't—do it.”

They kept runing for ten minutes straight. With the Hill in sight, their spirits raised, but the hellhounds were gaining.

“I can't—run—any—more!” Avery called. Her face was contorted in pain. She was moving much slower than before. Soren slowed to a stop with her. When Michael noticed, he turned back, sword ready.

“Guess we gotta fight,” he said.

Avery had her hands on her knees. She was gasping for air and tasted acid.

“Avery.” Soren moved close to her. “Hold on. We're almost there.”

“I—can't.”

“Incoming!”

Soren lashed out with his dagger, hitting a hound in mid-pounce. Two others appeared where the beast used to be. Two more were on Michael. He was backing up, slashing at the claws trying to tear him apart.

Aver's head was swimming. She needed to rest. She could hardly move, but they were being attacked. She tried to get herself into action. She felt useless.

“Give me your weapon,” Soren said. The hounds were overpowering him. Avery straightened, slowly, and managed to give her scyth to Soren. He caught one hound on its mouth and twisted the weapon. The monster whimpered and dissipated. The other racked its claws over Soren't dagger arm.

“Argh!” he said, but swung with the scyth. The curved blade went right down on the animal's neck and it, too, disapeared, leaving only gold dust behind.

Avery and Soren looked for Michael. They were amazed to see him still standing; his jacket and pants were almost torn to shreds, and he was bleeding freely from several scratches. Soren ran towards his friend and threw his dagger. It landed in one of the dog's side, which roared in anger. Michael managed to kill the other one, but got a swipe on his back from the first. Soren reached the two and swung down with the scyth, and the beast was no more.

“I'm—fine,” Michael muttered to Soren. “Thaks. Let's—get—Ave.”

Soren picked up his dagger and turned around to see Avery on the ground.

“Avery!” he shouted, and ran back to her side. He looked her over real quick, sheathed his weapon, and then picked her up in his arms.

“It's gunna be alright, hon.” He slid her arm band back on her. “We're here.”

Avery's eyes fluttered and a faint smile crossed her lips. “I hope our boy will be a Stripling Warrior like you,” she whispered.

Soren wondered how she know it would be a boy, but he only answered, “He will, babe. And he'll be just as smart as you.” He carried her all the way over the hill and into the valley, Michael at his side. Campers stopped their activities to watch, and some ran to the Big House, the four-story white house at the other end of the valley. A couple Apollo kids rushed to hem, med kits at the ready.

“Set her down on her back,” the boy instructed. He was only eleven or so, but Soren did as he was told. The girl with him was older by three or four years. She tended Michael and Soren. Soren knew there would be kids here, but it was weird now that he was an adult. Most of these kids wouldn't even be alive in ten years... Soren, Michael, and Avery were some of the lucky ones.

“Hellhounds,” Michael said with some pride. “Six of 'em. What a fight.”

Galloping was heard and soon Chiron appeared. The activities director was a muscled man from waist up and a horse from the waist down; a centar.

“Long time no see,” Michael said. “Remember us? I'm Michael, son of Hermes, he's Soren, son of Aphrodite, she's Avery, daughter of Athena.”

“Yes, I remember you,” Chiron said. “What happened to you?”

“Hellhounds,” Michael repeated.

“How's Avery?” Soren asked the young boy.

“She'll be fine, she's just fatigued. Is she... pregnant?”

“Four months,” Soren answered quietly. “Is the baby...”

“Fine,” the boy said. “How old are you guys?”

“Avery and I are twenty-three. Michael is twenty-six.” He turned to Chiron. “We need to talk.”

“I thought so,” Chiron said. “First you should rest up and eat.”

Soren nodded and weariness crawled through him. He realized he was about to drop from exhaustion.

“Is there somewhere we can crash?”

“Of course,” Chiron answered.

Soren and Michael colapsed. Chiron and the Apollo girl caught them.

“Not here, you idiots,” the girl said.

“Yeah, right,” Soren muttered, half asleep.
    Shade
    Shade
    Role Playing Legend

Male
    Number of posts : 23711
    Registration date : 2010-07-05

Stuck in the Middle Empty Re: Stuck in the Middle

Post by Shade 12/18/2010, 10:25 pm

wow that's good
    Laxyak
    Laxyak

Female

Post by Laxyak 12/19/2010, 3:24 pm

Thank you. =)
    annabeth13<3

Female
    Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2010-12-30

Post by annabeth13<3 1/14/2011, 12:09 am

This is really good:) pleasee write more!!!
    Laxyak
    Laxyak

Female

Post by Laxyak 1/14/2011, 5:58 pm

Thank you. :3 I have more written, but not quite as much as I'd like for a post. Would you like to see it anyway?
    Shade
    Shade
    Role Playing Legend

Male

Post by Shade 1/15/2011, 5:33 pm

yea
    Laxyak
    Laxyak

Female

Post by Laxyak 1/17/2011, 2:57 pm

Chapter One- Death Comes too Close
    (Part Two)

Avery woke with a start. Her hands went right to her belly. "Is he okay?" she asked the air.

A young girl rushed to her side. "Shh, your husband and friend are going to be fine. Just exhausted."

Avery was relieved, but that wasn't what she meant. "The baby," she said. "How is he?"

"He's fine as well," the girl answered gently. "You stressed yourself more than your baby."

Avery relaxed. "What's your name?"

"Natalie Cole, daughter of Apollo."

"Like the singer?"

Natalie rolled her eyes like she'd heard that a million times. "Same name, different person."

"Thank you, Natalie, for taking such good care of me.

Natalie blushed and looked away. Avery saw her hiding a smile. "It was nothing. A lot of my siblings can do the same thing."

Avery smiled, deciding to not embarrass the girl further.

"Can I see my husband?" she asked.

"Yeah, I guess, but he's probably still sleeping it off. You shouldn't wake him."

"That's okay. I feel better just being with him."

Avery got out of bed and Natalie showed her to Soren's bunk. He was sitting up and arguing with a boy younger than Natalie. Avery grinned.

"You're okay," she said.

Soren looked to the door and practically jumped out of bed. He gave her a tackle-hug.

"Oh, Avery, you're safe!" he said. "I'm so glad."

"I told you she was okay," the boy muttered.

Soren gave Avery a kiss. "Steven was telling me I couldn't see you because you were still asleep.

"And you should be resting," Steven added.

"Hush, Steven. As long as my Avery is okay, I'm okay."

Avery suppressed a giggle and gave Soren a stern look. "If Steven says you should rest, then you should rest!"

Soren frowned. "Not you, too!"

"Why did no one invite me to the party?"

Everyone turned to see Michael leaning against the door with a huge grin on his face.

"Blame the staff," Soren answered. Avery slapped him.

"Be nice to our hosts," she scolded.
    Shade
    Shade
    Role Playing Legend

Male

Post by Shade 1/17/2011, 3:29 pm

that was cool, it made me laugh kinda
    Laxyak
    Laxyak

Female

Post by Laxyak 1/17/2011, 3:31 pm

That's the idea. xD I'll post more in a few days if you want.
    Shade
    Shade
    Role Playing Legend

Male

Post by Shade 1/17/2011, 3:47 pm

ok, and please do
    annabeth13<3

Female
    Number of posts : 90
    Registration date : 2010-12-30

Post by annabeth13<3 1/21/2011, 12:48 am

This is super good and the last chapter was funny in the end:)
    Laxyak
    Laxyak

Female

Post by Laxyak 1/21/2011, 1:12 am

Thank you. :3 I'll get another part up some time tomorrow, or tonight if I can't sleep. XD

Just kidding. Can't get on the compy for a while. *dies*

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/17/2024, 5:35 am