A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

3 posters

The Drakon of Park City (Roman)

redline2400
    redline2400
    Dedicated Member

Male
    Number of posts : 1193
    Registration date : 2015-08-05

The Drakon of Park City (Roman) Empty The Drakon of Park City (Roman)

Post by redline2400 5/31/2016, 5:52 pm

If there is one thing that separates the Greek and Roman camps more than anything, it has to be the overall mentality of how we operate. At Half-Blood, it seems as if they take in their kids raw, lacking any combat skills and experience with the goal of training them up to become heroes; solo units that can fend for themselves and carry their weight alone. They work well as a team, but the mentality is very self-oriented. But over here, at Camp Jupiter, the goal is to take the kids, see if they can fight well via Lupa's gang of telepathic canines, and then take the best in as soldiers and giving them training on how to work as a team - a legion, if I may. Sure, there is training on individual, one-on-one combat, but it's in the formations and lines of cohorts and centuries where us Romans shine.

As such, when special, high profile events and situations pop up, both camps react slightly differently. Half-Blood, from what I've been told, relies on three-person quests to answer a large number of boutique threats. And Camp Jupiter, with it's team-oriented mentality, calls upon four-person combat teams to investigate notable incidents. That's not to say the Greeks don't send out combat teams or that we Romans answer to no prophesies, but that's just the way things go.

And it's also the reason why I'm leading three other legionnaires - well, one other legionnaire and two lowly probatii - over to see the praetors; I've been assigned a combat mission. Apparently, the only non-Mormon is Utah happened to get word of some strange stuff going on in Park City, and it's so bad that the legion's leadership has come to ask someone like me to take on the role of combat team leader. Woo hoo.

It was something like 18:00 or 18:15 when me and the crew - consisiting of Cam, Phil, and this First Cohort probie by the name of Spencer - shuffled into the praetor's office, awaiting the approval of Renya and Frank "Field Promotion" Zhang. We stood in single file, shoulders together, looking like a group of buff nerds who had just been kicked out of the local Renaissance Fair or something. "Praetors;" I boldly exclaimed, trying to get the attention of the accomplished Renya and Zhang; "Here are the legionnaires I have selected to aid me on the mission: Cameron Harper, Phil Webb, and Spencer Ramsay."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

The Drakon of Park City (Roman) Empty Re: The Drakon of Park City (Roman)

Post by Morgan Landry 6/1/2016, 5:27 am

Reyna looked up from the map she was studying with Frank, her long braid falling over one shoulder. Standing up, she strode over to the small group, her two metallic dogs in tow.

"Probatiōnēs," she commented with a frown. "I don't think we allow probationes to leave camp for missions."

"For quests, no, but missions aren't quests," Frank put in.

Reyna circled Phil and Spencer, her eyes assessing their physical condition and posture. Aurum and Argentum sat vigilantly, their ruby eyes glued to their master's every movement. After several moments, Spencer's hands were starting to sweat.

"They're both claimed already," Frank continued. "All they need now to join the Legion is an act of valour. This mission is as good an opportunity as anything else."

"It's not really in the protocol... but fine," Reyna said after a while and walked back to her desk, her purple cloak floating just above her feet. She turned back to the group with a raised chin. "You have our approval. Take this," she said, handing Dean a sealed letter. "If you are in trouble and run into a veteran of the Legion, give this to them and they will have to help you."

"Good luck, heroes," Frank said and Cameron bowed respectfully before turning around with the rest of the group.

"Oh my gods that was tense," Spencer admitted as they were out of the Principia, wiping her hands on her camo pants. "Aurum and Argentum freaked me out so much."
    Gotenks

Male
    Number of posts : 814
    Registration date : 2015-03-01

Post by Gotenks 6/1/2016, 9:01 am

"You said it all" Phil agreed.

Phil was quite tense and nervous himself about the mission. The fact that he had got Spencer in this made him feel even worse. If anything happened it was his fault. Then again, he trusted the team assembled, probably cause of Dean's powerful pep talk aura thingy. He just had to remind himself the fact that they were as likely to heroically succeed as to die as soon as possible, not to forget it. Then again, if Reyna of all people allowed him and Spencer to join, it meant that they could succeed and would indeed be valuable. Or that they were expendable but hey, let's be positive.

Besides, it was a chance to have fun. And kill a dragon- wait drakon. Whatever, so long as they wouldn't anger Kalisi they would be fine. They had two seasoned legionnaires and Spencer's Fortuna ex machinas to depend on. And, not to brag, Phil could be a pretty damn good moving target. He wasn't the 100th fastest man alive like Barry Allen, but point still stands.
    redline2400
    redline2400
    Dedicated Member

Male

Post by redline2400 6/1/2016, 11:27 am

Taking the letter from Reyna with a humble yet confident "Thank you", I bowed alongside Cam and the others, all of us leaving the Principalia when dismissed. I was taking point in the way out.

Then Spencer mentioned that it was "tense" in there and that she had been freaked out, which Phil then concurred with. "Really? You two looked pretty solid in there." The two of them seemed to handle facing the praetors, which was a big deal considering how new they were, but their comments were less than reassuring. Especially Spencer's about Aurum and Argentum; those two were really only a threat if you were either going to try and pull a Brutis or Booth on a praetor or if you were, like, a Greek or something. Intimidating things, yes, but not exactly threats.

I looked over at Cam, hoping she'd agree with my observation of the two. "Those two looked ok back there, right? Not too fazed by the whole thing?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 6/1/2016, 2:16 pm

"Stop whining, kids," Cameron said. "As long as you aren't Greek backstabbers or, I don't know, pull a Sulla and march against camp, you got nothing to worry about. Yo, boss, what time are we leaving?"

Spencer shot a quick glance at Phil; whilst Cam and Dean were talking she pulled her hairtie down her cornows and re-did her ponytail even though it had already been flawless by Roman standards. "This is our chance to get those thingies off our necks," she said, pointing at his probatio tablet. "Feeling ready yet, noob?"
    Gotenks

Male

Post by Gotenks 6/1/2016, 4:34 pm

"I thought we Romans practically invented backstabbing." Phil replied to Cam then turned to Spencer. "I have you know, l was born ready." Yeah, finally becoming an actual legionnaire was the reason he had accepted when Dean didn't actually came to him begging for help, tears in his eyes, fully knowing that without Phil the mission was hopeless. Getting to have Spencer with him was a plus. It was more comfortable with a... friend.

redline2400
    redline2400
    Dedicated Member

Male

Post by redline2400 6/1/2016, 6:13 pm

"The Greeks were quite the deceitful little bunch as well; if you've picked up a history book you'd know that the Athenian political scene was a train wreck of corruption and backstabbing. We just perfected the art of it." If anything, Cam would probably give me grief over a little bit of cynicism towards the Roman way, being a daughter of Pax and all. I love the place and the way things are done around here, but you had to keep your enemies close by at Camp Jupiter; and that's an undeniable fact.

"And to answer Cam's question, we'll be meeting up at 6:30 by my car. It's a red Ford hatchback parked up at that service area on top of the tunnel's highway entrance, but you can find me or Cam if you don't know where to go. Or ask a guard, they'll know where to look."

And then I started addressing the two probatios. "But right now, you two just need to pack up and get some sleep. Bring some mortal cash and enough clothes for about a week; better safe than sorry. We'll be getting breakfast on the road, so don't even think about stopping by the mess hall. Now, are we all set, or is there anything that you two still need to ask?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 6/2/2016, 4:50 am

Cameron looked at the two probationes, but Spencer just shook her head. "I think we're good. See you tomorrow." And she went back to the First Cohort barracks.

[Time skip]

The next morning, Spencer was at the car at precisely 6 am. Dressed in a flashy Nike top and zip-up hoodie, military pants and combat boots, she was readier than ever. Having hastily tucked her probatio tablet into her shirt as soon as she had left Caldecott tunnel, she was now waiting cross-legged on the ground with her back to the car, vigilant of the slightest movement.

Cameron arrived at 6:20, stiffling a yawn. Her white hair was rashly washed and combed, still a bit humid, but other than that she was good. Gray tee, cargo pants, olive jacket and jackboots, her military backpack slung over her shoulder, she reached the car twenty minutes after Spencer.

"Where are your weapons," she asked as soon as she saw the African American sitting on the ground.

She tapped her backpack. "In here. Two Vulcan kids helped me store them."

"You might wanna have your gladius close by. If you need to rummage in a pile of clothes every time we get attacked..."
    Gotenks

Male

Post by Gotenks 6/2/2016, 4:15 pm

At 6:24 Phil would join the two girls in waiting for Dean, wearing a t-shirt with the Attack on Titan logo and a pair of jeans, his gladius in his hand. He had decided to get there a bit earlier than 6:30 to 'make an impression' or maybe 'because he didn't have anything better to do'. You decide.

"Hello ladies" he said grinning. "Ready to die gloriously for Camp Jupiter, Rome and the 12th Legion? I know l am."

Last edited by Gotenks on 6/3/2016, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    redline2400
    redline2400
    Dedicated Member

Male

Post by redline2400 6/2/2016, 4:58 pm

"Good to know, but I'd advise you to not talk like that probie." It was a few minutes before the planned meeting time when I arrived at the car, which was already swamped by the girls. Phil just got there, and I had been tailing the kid since he left the Fifth. Kept some good distance on him, 'cus you don't want to let a child of Mercury out of your sight; he already swiped my iPod, and I wasn't about to let that go due to lineage. When I heard his talk about "dying for Rome", I couldn't help but blow my cover. "We're not exactly the stockpile of pessimism here Webb, and I'm not driving 750 miles hearing you talk about dying."

Clad in a pair of khaki shorts, skate shoes, and a black "Burton Snowbards" tee, I walked up to my car with nothing but the clothes on my back and the contents of my pockets. And Darcy, my Mainz (Gladius), who was slung across my back in the back sheath I hardly ever used. My bags were already in the car with my clothes and armor, left in there after a run to the gas station and grocery store from the night before.

I looked the rest of the team over, examining how they packed and dressed. Cam looked par for the course, the rucksack complimenting her pseudo-military look she seemed to be trying for. Spencer looked pretty ubnoxious in her Nike top and sweatshirt, and her camo pants and boots did nothing to help the "I'm USMC material because I do crossfit" look. Not to mention she just had a backpack with her, which probably meant she either did some favors for a Vulcan kid or she is already acting insubordinate because 1st>3rd.  And Phil... Sweet Juno, Phil; that bast*rd just blatantly gave me the finger and didn't have a bag on him. Is packing a bag really that hard to do? "Well jeez Webb;" I sarcastically lauded as I approached him, "Never knew you had the skills to live off the land like that. You sure you don't want a bag with you? I only charge for carry-ons."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 6/2/2016, 6:37 pm

When Spencer saw Phil, she went in for a fist bump but Dean's comment made her retract a little. The two girls were both surprised by Phil's empty-handedness, though Spencer put it on him being a son of Mercury, a jack of all trades -- Phil without a backpack definitely didn't mean he was resourceless.

"We should go asap," Cameron suggested, crossing her arms. "Sun's shining, time to kick some dragon butt."

Spencer flipped her index up. "Same."
    Gotenks

Male

Post by Gotenks 6/3/2016, 11:42 am

OOC: I edited my last post to at least give Phil a gladius... l was really busy yesterday but wanted to get the reply over with so l basically forgot everything l shouldn't have, sowwy.

BIC: "I am not pessimistic, just humored you. But l guess dark humor is like food-not everyone gets it. And...let's just say l am confident of being able to pick up things along the way. Besides, l found a fair amount of cash." Phil said. Maybe it hadn't been the smartest idea he'd ever had, but whatever. Sheer boredom and bad time management couldn't be helped in that case.
    redline2400
    redline2400
    Dedicated Member

Male

Post by redline2400 6/3/2016, 12:20 pm

"First off, that joke only works in meme form with a picture of Stalin. And two, I didn't suggest you bring a bag, I gave you an order to pack one and you just flat-out said 'no' like some insubordinate little sh*t stain. But if you're not going to bring one, then you're not going to go get one now, so just get in the back seat and keep you're f*king mouth shut."

Was I mad? Yes, but it wasn't like I was freaking out. I was just asserting my authority in a harsh, slightly louder tone. With Phil addressed, I then turned to the girls. "You two put your bags in the trunk. Spencer, you sit in the back with Webb. Cam, you take shotgun." I didn't give them time to ask questions; I just opened the hatch and walked over to the driver's side, promptly taking a seat at the helm of the Focus.

Pacing Note:
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 6/4/2016, 1:47 pm

Spencer didn't like the way Dean spoke to Phil, even though she understood why he was reprimanding him. Still, no need to call him a little sh!t stain.

"You can have my sleeping bag if you want, I don't mind sleeping in my clothes," she told him as she slammed the door shut.

Cameron sat down at the front, eager to start. She rolled her window down to get some fresh air in and drew her seatbelt across her upper body. "Buckle up, heroes, adventure's about to start," she said with a hungry little grin. She couldn't wait to slice up things.
    Gotenks

Male

Post by Gotenks 6/4/2016, 4:23 pm

Phil entered the car silent, deciding not to disagree with Dean, he seemed to be pretty damn angry, rightfully so. Like, let's be real, he should have packed some things for Dad's sake. But let's ignore the fact that he didn't. It wasn't the ned of the world, right? Right. Spencer offered to give him her sleeping bag to sleep in, but Phil denied by shaking his head. He'd make it through it, he had spent nights without sleeping bags or beds. It'd be easy as stealing money from a homeless man. Yeah, perk the hell up Webb, you are about to kill a dragon and have a good ol' time. It will be about as cool as the moment when Gohan went SSJ2.
    redline2400
    redline2400
    Dedicated Member

Male

Post by redline2400 6/5/2016, 8:11 am

With the other three now in the car, I tuned the key, giving life to all four of the Ford's cylinder's. Turning to Cam, I handed her some pieces of paper stapled together - directions to Park City via Mapquest - and asked her to read them off after we got on the highway. And after telling the two probatii to sit tight, I put the hammer down and we were on our way

After about an hour or so I decided to do something that wasn't very well received. We were going up the highway, and were probably half an hour or so from Reno, when the radio decided to change channels. That's normal, as a lot of FM stations use the same frequency and everything, but I'm pretty sure nobody in the car was thrilled when it changed from modern non-rap pop to a sports talk show that was already seven tangents deep into a discussion on if booster clubs are important or not.

So what I did was I briefly looked away from the road, plugged my iPod into the aux cord, looked back at the road, picked out a song, looked back, switched the radio from FM to "Aux Input", looked back, adjusted my steering angle, and then played this wonderful tune over the worn-out speakers of the car.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 6/5/2016, 7:19 pm

"Seriously?" Cam frowned as the music changed. She had the map on her lap and was directing Dean when necessary, otherwise letting her hand hang out of the window. "We're off to kill a dragon with Should've Been a Cowboy in the background? Come on!"
    Gotenks

Male

Post by Gotenks 6/6/2016, 2:55 pm

Phil interjected. "To be fair, even if it said 'we're off to kill a dragon', it'd still be an awful song. I didn't think you were that boring, man."
    redline2400
    redline2400
    Dedicated Member

Male

Post by redline2400 6/6/2016, 3:01 pm

"Boring? Boring?! This song isn't boring it's a work of art! Who even plays the guitar anymore?"

I don't want to say that I was triggered, but they did push my buttons a bit. It was my car anyway; I should be able to play my music without being ganged up on.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 6/6/2016, 3:05 pm

"Hipsters," Cameron said. "Do you have some Eminem, Beyoncé, Lil Wayne,....?" She started rummaging around in her pocket trying to find her own iPod. Spencer in the back mouthed something about Michael Jackson but didn't want to take part in the argument.
    Gotenks

Male

Post by Gotenks 6/6/2016, 3:11 pm

"Beyonce? Lil Wayne? Country music?! What have l got myself into... you guys don't really listen to music do you? I mean... talking reptile man Lil Wayne?Have you guys ever listened to a song before?"

OOC: I am feeling it right now lmao
    redline2400
    redline2400
    Dedicated Member

Male

Post by redline2400 6/6/2016, 3:19 pm

"I've got a little Eminem and some other raps here and there, but not much; I'm mainly an alt-rock, country kind of guy. And who are you to judge, Phil? What does a musical connoisseur like yourself know about music than the rest of us?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 6/6/2016, 5:53 pm

"Aha! Here we go. Hip hop." Cameron had managed to fish her iPod out of her pocket and was selecting a song in one of her playlists.

"Guys," Spencer said, raising her voice a little to be heard over everyone else, "let's not argue. We have a mission and the music is the least of our concerns. Maybe all of us can have a turn playing a song they like?"
    Gotenks

Male

Post by Gotenks 6/7/2016, 2:22 pm

Phil was about to go on a ramble on how the best things about music were Arctic Monkeys and the Cowboy Bebop theme, when Spencer interrupted with a pretty damn sensible suggestion. "Um, as much as l'd like to go on about this forever- and believe me, l am being serious- Spencer's suggestion is pretty fair. What do you guys say?"
    redline2400
    redline2400
    Dedicated Member

Male

Post by redline2400 6/7/2016, 6:07 pm

"I concur. In fact-" I unplugged the aux cord and tossed the end towards the back, not really looking because I enjoy not being a case number for California's state police- "How about you go first Spence?"

Spoilers:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/1/2024, 11:30 pm