A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

2 posters

Sunsets and catch-ups (private)

Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Sunsets and catch-ups (private) Empty Sunsets and catch-ups (private)

Post by Morgan Landry 3/4/2021, 3:43 am

Sunsets in Camp Half-Blood were always magnificent. The colours were richer, brighter. They turned the landscape into a glowing canvas of orange and gold, while the red sun sank towards the ocean.
    Sitting on a bench in the Mess Hall, Maddy couldn't help but feel wonder at the view. Gods, how she had missed this place. She hadn't been here in... three years? Four? Not that she hadn't wanted to come back, quite the contrary. But her schedule had been so full with shooting and interviews and social outings and parties, she'd barely had a minute to herself. It was so nice to be back somewhere this... calm. Nobody expected anything of her. No creepy movie director. No shouting agent. It was paradise.
    calvin
    calvin

Other / Decline to state
    Number of posts : 800
    Registration date : 2014-03-11

Sunsets and catch-ups (private) Empty Re: Sunsets and catch-ups (private)

Post by calvin 3/4/2021, 11:01 pm

Sunsets and catch-ups (private) Eade6df091580d30807ae82b5a71e7fca0a35b16

The sensation of traversing the campgrounds was oddly surreal for Jeremy. He felt out of place; like he was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be. He wasn't a camper anymore, he was there to teach. Something he never saw himself doing. A lot of the people he saw on a daily basis were his students. It was weird for him to even say it.

Jeremy enjoyed the time after and between classes he had to just relax and look around. He stopped by his old cabin first today. He remembered the time he spent as the Minor Water Gods cabin's leader, and the time he spent with all of his brothers and sisters; Raven, Jane, Miles, all of them. The cabin still had the all too familiar scent of sea salt permeating throughout it. The waterfall still flowed as beautifully as ever. His bunk even still had his engravings next to it. It felt like home.

He stopped by the Mess Hall next, where he found his old flame. He was behind her, her back facing him. Maddy looked as good as ever, but she was different. She had changed. She looked smaller. Tired. He understood. Civilian life wasn't great to everyone who left. Jeremy knew firsthand. He began walking up to her and stopped. What was he gonna say? What was his approach? It had been 5 years since he'd seen her last, and the last time he saw her was at a reunion of sorts; an awkward exchange of names. Play it cool. he thought to himself. He remained where he was and leaned his back against a pillar. Clearing his throat loudly, he began to speak. "Funny seeing you here." he said. It was the best he could come up with.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 3/6/2021, 3:44 am

Maddy gave a start and turned around. Behind her, nonchalantly leaning against a column, stood Jeremy Summers. He must've been walking particularly quietly for Maddy not to hear him. "Hey there, Summers," she smiled. "How have you been?" She hadn't been able to properly talk to him at the impromptu reunion thing. Of course, she had overheard stuff - that he was an instructor now, that he was helping young demigods master their powers. But five years was a long time, and they had lots of catching up to do. His stories would probably be happier than hers. She was eager to hear them, though, and to reminisce about times when their main concern was winning Capture-the-Flag.
    Scooting to the side, she made space for him on the bench before snapping her fingers. Two cans of Coke materialized from thin air and she tossed one to Jeremy.

OOC: she's wearing a canari yellow shirt with baggy, tropical-themed pants and dark green sneakers.
    calvin
    calvin

Other / Decline to state

Post by calvin 3/6/2021, 1:57 pm

As Maddy looked back and began to talk, Jeremy immediately put his hand behind his head and began to ruffle his hair as his floral button-up billowed in the wind. It was a nervous tic. He hadn't experienced them in as long as he could remember. This Maddy was an unfamiliar one. She was different now; famous. Hollywood. People knew her face. She was an actress, and he was proud of her. It was more than he could say for himself.

"Hey there, Summers, how have you been?" she asked him. He cracked a smile and just let the words flow. "Worse than I'd like to admit. Honestly, civilian life? Not for me. Camp is my place, through and through. Never expected myself to enjoy teaching as much as I do." he explained. "And yourself, Ms. Superstar?" he joked.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 3/7/2021, 2:21 pm

Maddy smiled at the nickname. "I think I agree with you on civilian life. Tried it. 0/10 would not recommend."

She stretched in the golden light of the setting sun and sipped her Coke. "It wasn't all roses and red carpets on my side either. Why don't we enjoy this gorgeous view and, I don't know, overshare our traumas?" she suggested with a smirk.

calvin
    calvin

Other / Decline to state

Post by calvin 3/7/2021, 7:54 pm

Jeremy was so nervous he hadn't even noticed the two beverages appear before his very eyes, and nearly didn't notice as the Coke soared toward his bewildered face. He caught it out of nothing more than instinct.

He walked over to the bench, Coke in hand, and sat directly next to Maddy. Oversharing traumas? It sounded like bliss. "There's nothing I'd like to do more." he smiled. He sparked his hand with lightning and the Coke's tab flew open. He had gotten pretty good at it. He took a deep sip. Since he had started working out, soda was a luxury he hadn't indulged in. It was nice. "I'll still never get used to you pulling things out of thin air like that."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 3/8/2021, 2:08 pm

Maddy chuckled, "I remember that time I pranked you with cocktails. What was it again? Margaritas?" She laughed and took a long mouthful of Coke. "Good times."

She stayed quiet a moment, taking in the view. A budding feeling of calm and tranquillity went through her - for the first time in a while, she felt well and truly at home. Covid had given her the perfect excuse to retreat from LA, put all her contracts on hold, and simply... disappear. She'd even deactivated her phone numbers and put her social media accounts to private.

"So, how are we going to do this," she finally asked. "Are we gonna do a back-and-forth or something more like Never have I ever?"
    calvin
    calvin

Other / Decline to state

Post by calvin 3/8/2021, 2:42 pm

"So, how are we going to do this, are we gonna do a back-and-forth or something more like Never have I ever?" Maddy asked. Jeremy chuckled back and took another sip. "Never have I ever? Maybe if we were still campers." he joked. "Just be honest with me," he said. "Tell me about the highs and lows of life outside of our misty slice of godhood." he continued. "I'll go next." he finished, taking another gulp of the Coke.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 3/8/2021, 5:00 pm

"We are still campers," Maddy pointed out with a grin. "Growing up doesn't change that."

She paused again, wondering where to start. So much had happened... How would she even talk about it, let alone pull it into a coherent whole? Just start at the beginning, she told herself.
    The daughter of Dionysus raised her can of Coke towards the sunset. "Never have I ever," she said, chuckling at Jeremy's face, "... lost 40 pounds for a role and fallen into bulimia."
    She drank.
    It was true - one of the first roles she had gotten. She had to play someone's love interest in an action movie, and while the casting directors had been impressed by her audition, they immediately told her she had to slim down. Now, Maddy had never been fat. She had been at a healthy weight all her life, if anything, her time at Camp Half-Blood had toned her up. But this had been her first big role. With some big name co-stars and a big name director. This was her way in, her stairway to the top, her golden opportunity. She'd wanted it so badly.
    On the way out, one of the assistants gave her the contact details of a nutritionist and a personal trainer. The first month, she'd lost 20 pounds. The next, 25. She was so anxious at the idea of not being sufficiently 'in shape' for the movie that she started throwing up what she ate. She even started using her own powers against herself - summoning head-splitting, stomach-heaving hangovers to force herself to spit out the few calories allowed by her nutritionist.

And it had paid off. The first day on set, Maddy was impossibly excited. She'd made it. She was here. She had done what they asked. She remembered grinning at the director and casting agents, proud to show off her hard work.

...A nod. That was all she got. A nod in passing. Not a word. Not one iota of recognition. No wow, well done! or Thanks for putting yourself through hell! If she could go back in time, she would spit in their faces.
    But she hadn't. Instead, she'd just swallowed it and gotten on with the movie. It was a huge hit, raked in millions at the box office. Photographers and magazine editors started calling, asking to book shoots, interviews, fashion columns. From one day to the next, her life had completely changed. Seeing herself on screen starring in a kick-ass movie was everything she'd ever wanted. It filled her with indescribable pride. But she hadn't fully realized at the time that this pride was double-edged: she couldn't be proud of her performance without being proud of the bulimic behaviours that had secured the role. Which were constantly reinforced from everyone around her through comments on her body. It was all people complimented her on anyway - her body, her looks, her thin figure. She found herself on magazine covers in outfits that showed off her ribs and collarbones. Watched herself strutting through ads in heels barely any bigger than her shins. Even her make-up was meant to exaggerate her protruding cheekbones.
    Now that she was starting to make a name for herself, she couldn't afford to go back to her normal eating habits. Returning to her previous weight meant less contracts, which meant watching her dream die in front of her eyes. The mere idea terrified her. So she had gone back to counting calories, working out aggressively and throwing up after every meal. The more people praised her on her looks, the more she felt compelled to carry on. The source of her pride became contingent on hurting herself.

That first movie had made sure that her self-esteem and career depended on self-harm. And she was still paying the price of that lesson.
    calvin
    calvin

Other / Decline to state

Post by calvin 3/14/2021, 1:08 pm

Jeremy listened intently as Maddy gave him her never have I ever scenario. Bulimia. The word made him feel sick to his stomach. "By the Gods. 40 pounds?" he said in bewilderment, stroking his beard. Hearing it was heartwrenching. "I'm sorry you had to go through that, Maddy. Seriously." he concluded.

Jeremy inhaled and exhaled deeply, knocking his knuckles on the table. "Alright. Never have I ever caused a major sea storm in a depressive state." Jeremy said, chuckling in disbelief. He drank.

It was true. A while after leaving Camp Half-Blood, Jeremy got into the monotonous life of working for a mega-corp. He got to work early, did meaningless tasks on a computer for 9 hours in a 4x4 cubicle, and went home to sleep as long as he could before getting up early again the next day. His life was in a lull and he could feel it. Depression set in. There were some days where he couldn't bring himself to get out of bed or even shower. Money didn't bring him the happiness he thought it would, and he had a fair bit of it. Not long after, the nightmares set in. He started to dream of his old house. His mother. His stepfather. The fire. Oh Gods, the fire. Had he just been there, he could've stopped it. Had anyone been there, they could've stopped it. His mother would still be alive. And his stepfather told him that in every dream. He told Jeremy how disappointed he was, how worthless he was. How he deserved to be treated the way he was. The nightmares always ended with Jeremy drowning. It was an odd feeling; he wasn't supposed to know what drowning felt like, but he did. It felt like his lungs were being filled with napalm. It was horrifying.

The first effects of his nightmares were nothing to write home about, really. He'd wake up to an occasionally flooded bathroom, which wasn't too much of a problem. He just used his powers to control the water and send it down the tub drain. As time progressed, however, things got worse. There were storms on land when the forecast for the day was clear, sunny skies. The sea level at Long Island had been steadily rising, and no one could pinpoint exactly why. Everything was seemingly random. Everyone attributed it to global warming, or something of the sort. Then the big one came.

After a particularly bland, boring, and stressful day of work, Jeremy came home in a mood he had never been in. He was completely silent. His face was stone cold. He showered, brushed his teeth, and took a good long look in the mirror. He didn't recognize his face. There were bags under his eyes and his skin was beginning to wrinkle. He was losing his pallor. He swallowed hard, then changed and got into bed. He cried, and he cried hard. Eventually he fell asleep, and the nightmare ensued. It was a lot of the same, up until the end. He watched the blaze from outside, and he was unable to move. His mother slowly walked out, her body completely engulfed in flames. Her skin was falling from her bones and her eyeballs were gone from their sockets. What skin was left was bubbling and oozing. "Why weren't you here?" she asked him, in her surprisingly normal voice. Jeremy opened his mouth to speak, but it was like his vocal cords were cut. No sound came out. "Why weren't you here?" she asked again. She began to move closer each time she asked, until she and Jeremy were face to face. The final time, she grabbed Jeremy by the neck and lifted him up with one hand. She had no eyes, but he could feel her staring deep into his. She opened her mouth and screamed. It was what he imagined a Hydra-Cerberus mix to sound like. "WHY WEREN'T YOU HERE?" she yelled a final time, fire consuming his face. He woke up with a start, his body drenched in sweat. Without a moment's hesitation, he ran to the bathroom and began throwing up. Walking back to his bedroom, he turned on the TV to calm down. The news was on. They seemed to be replaying an earlier broadcast. He watched closely for a minute, and then his jaw dropped. "No..." he said.

A violent sea storm in the early morning. It came from nowhere and cleared the shore of Long Island. Many were injured. Some were dead. He couldn't believe his eyes. Jeremy sank to his knees, trying to make sense of things. Maybe it wasn't him? Sometimes meteorological anomalies like this just happened, right? No. He knew better. He wasn't a civilian; he could see through the Mist. This was his fault. He had no control of himself. People were hurt because of him. People were dead because of him. He had killed monsters before, but these people weren't monsters. They were just... human. They had no concept of what lurked behind the Mist. They were blissfully ignorant. He put his head in his hands and bawled, cursing himself and letting fly a million strings of expletives.

Jeremy snapped out of the memory and wiped some tears from his eyes. He finished his Coke. "Gonna need something stronger than Coke to finish this game."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 3/18/2021, 3:21 pm

OOC: Well that was a horrifying read

BIC: Maddy opened wide eyes. A sea storm caused by a depressive episode?? That was unheard of. She stayed silent for long moments, but put a hand on his arm and squeezed. It wasn't like she had nothing to say right now - but everything that came to mind felt flat. What did you say to such a thing anyway? Depression was abysmal on its own, but if you added demigod side-effects, it took on catastrophic dimensions she just didn't have the words for. She couldn't begin to imagine what Jeremy had been going through. No wonder he was asking for something stronger than Coke.

"I've got you fam." Maddy focused and circled her hands around each other. In a matter of seconds, two drinks shimmered into existence between her fingers: a pina colada for herself and a whiskey on the rocks for Jeremy.

"Spicy, smokey, and aged entirely on the ocean. Just the way you like it," Maddy said, handing him the glass. She had a look in her eye like, See? I remembered. After all, Jeremy and her had shared many drinks together. It was actually one of the things Maddy used to do back when they were together as teenagers, to enhance their dates. Since she could create any alcoholic beverage in the world, it had become a game of sorts between them - see what she could come up with, sneak away to Zephyros' Creek, get tipsy together. Of course, sometimes she would get in trouble because her father, Mr D, could sense when alcohol was within Camp grounds. But since she was his daughter, she usually got away with an evening of dishwashing chores. She caught herself looking back fondly on these moments. Those were the good days.

Once she had taken a long mouthful from her drink, she leaned back against the table. "Well, this is a convenient transition," she said. "Never have I ever fallen into alcoholism." She drank again.

Now you're probably thinking, how does a child of Dionysus become an alcoholic? Well, as it turns out, very easily. Step 1: Experience some form of trauma, something that just won't go away. For example, I don't know, an eating disorder, or experiencing the ugly underbelly of the entertainment industry first-hand. Step 2: try to numb yourself. Step 3: Grab a bottle.
    Without really realizing, Maddy found herself telling Jeremy about the parties she used to go to - the kind of parties you had to make in order to network, meet producers, managers, agents etc. But they weren't exactly professional. No, drugs were rife and the amount of harassment girls and women were subjected would be enough to sue anyone for life. Of course, all of it went unpunished. It was at these parties that Maddy discovered a new ability of hers: to feel the highs and lows of entertainment life ... through other people. Her father being the god of theatre, revelries and cinema, his powers extended over the branch of the entertainment industry she was in. Corruption, exploitation of all kinds, trafficking, ... all those things others experienced, she felt it too. It was like being connected to all of it at the same time, like being in the middle of a nexus. She got vivid nightmares where she was in someone else's body, experiencing their pain, experiencing the trauma of it all first-hand. There were nights where she just couldn't fall asleep because of it. But she kept going to parties. She kept drinking and drinking, losing herself in fleeting moments of euphoria. As Jeremy knew, Maddy had always been a party person. Being the daughter of Dionysus meant that whichever gathering she went to, whether a high school bash or a black-tie ball, she was going to bring life to it. It was almost symbiotic: the more she poured her energy into her powers, the better the party got. The better the party got, the more energized she was in return. She spent days and nights party-hopping, ending up in neighbourhoods she didn't recognize with people she didn't remember meeting.
    calvin
    calvin

Other / Decline to state

Post by calvin 4/9/2021, 7:28 am

OOC: Sorry for the disappearance, I had a lot of things to do that came up very suddenly! I should be back to posting regularly now.

Whiskey on the rocks. Jeremy was glad she remembered. He smiled wide, taking the glass from her hand. "F*ck sea storms. I want that." he said, taking a swig and swallowing hard. The burn as it went down was harsh, but not unpleasant. It was the type of drink to put hair on your chest for sure, and Jeremy loved every second of it. Jeremy looked at Maddy with thoughtful eyes. "You did remember. I appreciate it. Not a lot of people would." he said, beginning to reminisce. Jeremy and Maddy had shared a lot of delinquent drinks in their youth. Those were good times. Simpler times. He wished he could turn back the clock.

Jeremy frowned as Maddy began to speak of her alcoholism. It was something he understood well. Working sh*tty hours to live a somewhat decent life was something that led Jeremy to unhealthy coping mechanisms. Alcohol was the biggest one. He wasn't the biggest alcoholic, but he could tell there was beginning to be a problem when bartenders knew him by name. He nipped it in the bud early, thank the Gods. He went sober for a while, and learned how to drink in moderation again with the help of some friends.

Jeremy sat his drink down on the table and clasped his hands together. He gave Maddy a look of understanding, deep in her eyes. "I feel where you're coming from. It happened to me too." he explained. "I'm just sorry I couldn't have been there for you." Jeremy continued, teary-eyed. He wiped his eyes on the back of his hand. "Sorry, it's the trauma."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/6/2024, 9:29 am