A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

2 posters

Moreton wave

Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Moreton wave  Empty Moreton wave

Post by Morgan Landry 7/10/2014, 1:06 pm

Probably because of Poseidon's and Athena's quarrels, Victoria didn't really like the sea. She liked to bathe in it occasionally, but wouldn't stay more than five minutes in the waves. Even floating over the water's surface -- like she was doing right now -- still made her feel a tiny bit uncomfortable.
    Yes, floating. On her hoverboard. She was re-reading for what seemed the tenth time A Brief History Of Time by Steven Hawking, the book opened on her knees as her feet dangled down, her toes about twenty centimeters from the sea's surface. Flipping a page over, she absent-mindedly tucked a couple of her dirty blonde streaks into her rather messy ponytail and carried on reading. She was wearing one of her favorite shirts, a wine red tee printed with the words "Keep Calm and Follow the Laws of Thermodynamics" along with white denim shorts and her combat shoes, whose soles she had equipped with magnets so they adhered to the surface of her hoverboard. Over her shirt, she had pulled on her anticrash vest, and tucked her control gloves into one of the straps so they didn't fall into the sea. That'd be a terrible waste.
    In parallel to the focus she was giving her book, Victoria's mind was like usually busy on several levels, reflecting about different subjects on various layers of her mind, all with intense concentration, and the more she reflected, the more questions kept popping inside her head. Taking an example, she had just been thinking about the long-term heat balance of the planet, musing over the decay of the internal temperature, when her eyes got distracted by a little wave right next to her foot, perspectively speaking, and looking down,she imagined the North American plate under her. The very next second, she was wondering how the tectonic plates -- all of them -- had come to be a dominant process on Earth, and, by association of ideas, how Earth actually cooled down before plate tectonics.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male
    Number of posts : 1923
    Registration date : 2010-11-19

Moreton wave  Empty Re: Moreton wave

Post by Theseus12 7/10/2014, 1:35 pm

Drizzt was walking in solitary. Hardly news, but hey, what are you going to do? His shovel was in the pocket of his shorts, and underneath that, he had his swimsuit on, and he wore nothing else. Well, he had a bathrobe on too, but that was beside the point. His red eyes squinted in the sunlight, and his dull gray skin refused to tan. If he lay on his back, people would be convinced he was a corpse due to his naturally undead skintone. When he entered the beach, he breathed the salty air, enjoying the feel of the wind in his dark, shaggy hair. He noticed someone, a girl maybe, standing on the beach, but he didn't approach. Even among demigods, he was a freak.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/11/2014, 12:04 pm

Completely focused on her book and inner thought processes, Victoria had managed to drown out the sounds of the bash in the background. The loud party music, conversations, occasional cries just didn't seem to reach her ears. It had been months since she had been to a bash -- it had been the Halloween dance, which she had attended with both Jason and Elizabeth. Dancing had felt really weird. She just didn't seem to have the ability of letting her body flow with the music; her movements lacked the grace and ease all the others had. It made her feel self-conscious; she had stopped after five minutes. The last time she had actually, whole-heartedly danced, was when the Higgs boson had been discovered; her father and her had danced and talked from evening to morning that night, and it had only been at almost 11 am that both of them decided it was time to go to bed.

But suddenly, she felt somebody was behind her. Not exactly behind her, but some meters away. You know that feeling when somebody's behind you and you just feel it in the skin of your back? That's what happened to Vic at that point. She looked over her shoulder and spotted a boy of about her age with... grey skin. Victoria adjusted her lab goggles. Gray skin? Was it... was it some kind of disease or...? She had heard about somebody with gray skin once or twice at Camp, but hadn't given it a second thought. She had just thought it was normal gossip, and had tossed it from her mind palace.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/11/2014, 2:25 pm

Drizzt got the idea someone was looking at him, and looked back. He probably looked like one of Aran's Cauldron Born from the Prydain series. He managed a weak wave, and sat down on the beach. The girl had probably heard all the rumors. "The Thanatos kids let loose an undead monster" and other such things. He was getting tired of it all. He actually was once tempted to bury himself alive.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/13/2014, 11:58 am

The boy waved at her. ....Okay? Victoria looked back at her book, her fists against her cheeks, securing the book on her knees by putting her elbows on the pages. As she resumed reading, a new layer of her mind unfolded in parallel to the other ones, and she found herself thinking about the guy behind her. What had happened for him to get such skin? She scanned her memories for a special chemical substance that might have been the reason for this, but could find .... None.
    Alright, now she was interested.
    How did gray skin happen? What kind of pigment was it?
    Pushed by a gust of wind, the hover board started drifting sideways.

"Hold," she immediately said, and the board stopped at once, as if it had hit something solid.

She looked at the guy again, then stood up, her book under her arm, and made her board glide towards the beach with a twist of her legs. She pressed one foot at the front to make it go a bit faster, feeling the changing gravity in the sole of her shoes as she hovered from above the water onto the beach.
    Victoria stopped at one meter fifty of the boy, and lowered her board until it was at approximately a meter from the sand.

"What happened?" She asked, referring to his skin. It didn't occur to her for one second that such a question might be perceived as rude.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/13/2014, 11:14 pm

She was staring. What was new? Every once in a while he'd feel her eyes gazing in his direction. Lets get the interrogation over with then, he thought to himself, and got up, and found the girl walking toward- wait a second. She wasn't walking, she was gliding toward him on some kind of hover board, it seemed. Wow. That was impressive technology. His mind racing, he could see multiple uses, the first coming to mind not the flying car, but a coffin not needing pallbearers. Lower maintenance funerals. Anyways, she was coming towards him, and the first thing she did was ask him what happened. "Whatever could you be referring to," he said, his eyes, the color of ice made of frozen blood, coming up to meet hers. "Is it my skin? My eyes? The fact that my voice is almost as dead as those who were born a thousand years ago? My demeanor? My lack of one?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/14/2014, 3:56 am

"I'm talking about the pigmentation of your skin," she told him, sitting down on her board again. She wished she had her microscope, or even some kind of samples. It didn't occur to her that such a thing would look like she's taking him for some kind of lab animal.

"What pigment is it?" she asked, genuinely interested. "Or, what receptive gene?"
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/14/2014, 4:55 am

"I see," he said. His voice was still as dead as the proverbrial grave. "I do believe that my skin was this way when I was born, thus any and all pigments are just not used. Does that answer your question?" He remained silent for a while, then, "Nice hover board." Due to the flat, toneless way he talked, one couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or serious.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/14/2014, 6:31 am

"The pigments must be used; if they weren't, you wouldn't be gray," Victoria pointed out.

It was obvious he didn't know the pigment's name; yet still, how was it possible? He did look like a corpse. Victoria squinted, her eyes taking in the pores of his skin, the tufts of teenage beard, the random tangles in his hair... his body was alive and at the same time it wasn't. His skin was dead but his body was working. He made Victoria think of Schrödinger's cat.

"Oh, thank you," she said as he complimented her board. It was the 4.0 version of it. She remembered how the very first version, the prototype, had looked like: all metal, the underside coated with diamagnets. It had weighed a ton, and it couldn't even go everywhere. Now, it was made out of sleek carbon fibre enhanced with special ceramics, hovering with the help of room-temperature superconductors, absorbing the sunlight through two screens at each end of the board. Her shoes adhered to the surface by a sheet of metal directly under the carbon fibre coating, making sure she didn't fall off by the inverted wind force when she flew. Everything was coded, from her anticrash vest to her flight control gloves, so they'd obey vocal and physical commands, in accordance to the flight interface panel inside of the board.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/14/2014, 11:36 am

"If we went by that logic, should we assume that all of us have pigments in our skin, and that's the real reason behind all the various races we have? is that our skins are all died? Please. You look like someone intelligent. Answer me this question. If I was to get my skin died, why would I give myself the pallor of the recently deceased. I don't watch the walking dead, if that's what you're thinking its about."

When he complimented her board, he wasn't kidding. It looked pretty nice. The chassis seemed a touch scraped, but he wasn't a mechanic. His mind was still reeling with possibilities. "I'm guessing you haven't mass produced these yet. I'm assuming this because the Skateboarding industry hasn't been crushed by the hoverboard industry. When the Mortal World finds this thing, I would be careful nobody stole it."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/14/2014, 2:52 pm

Victoria frowned. "Your skin has pigments. Everybody's skin has pigments, at least five of them. Carotene, hemoglobin, oxyhemoglobin, melanin and melanoid." She had said that very quickly, as if she had learned it by heart -- which she kinda had. Victoria had a photographic memory, and she had read about skin pigments in biology last year. The recollection was still very present. "And what is the Walking Dead?"

She shifted on her hoverboard at his question. "Mass production... why would I want to do mass production?"
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/14/2014, 3:21 pm

"well, I'm not going to pretend to know the particular balance of pigmentation that is in my skin making it appear this way." He was getting a little bit annoyed with the constant over analyzing of his skin tone, but he had to admit, the scientific approach was different, and while annoying, quite refreshing as compared to people trying to stab him with a crucifix.

"What do you mean, why would you mass produce it. That thing would revolutionize the world. It may propel Humanity along almost as far as the Wheel did. If you were to mass produce these things, you wouldn't need to worry about money, except maybe what to do with all the money that you have."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/14/2014, 3:35 pm

"What makes you think money is important to me?" Victoria asked with a razor-sharp sphinx smile. "Do you think I'm ready to give my inventions away for money? My hoverboard, my skinspray, my 3D-omniprinter, my computers, my smart lenses, and everything else I invented? Just because everybody thinks about making profit doesn't mean that I do." Wind blew some wild strands into her face, and she tucked them back behind an ear, her hair even messier than usually.

"If I give any of my inventions away, it will be because of an intellectual prowess that I will be the judge of. People out there have all the money they need, but how many of them actually strive for intelligence?"

Last edited by Morgan Landry on 7/15/2014, 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/14/2014, 4:05 pm

"I see. I can respect that, actually.It's my thought that too many people go around seeking money anyways. I was just wondering why you didn't. You pursue knowledge instead. I can get that." Upon realizing this, he lost much of his annoyance at her questions concerning his appearance. "I think we can come to some form of agreement beneficial for both of us. You seek information, knowledge. I happen to be curious about your technology. I happen to know of an entire branch of knowledge that you may not know of. Can we come to a mutual agreement?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/15/2014, 2:29 am

Victoria's face stayed neutral, though in her inner, she was highly dubious. What made him think there were branches of science she didn't know of? (Hybris knocking in.) She was a daughter of Athena, after all. Her cabin lived to learn.

"What branch of science are you referring to?" she asked, deactivating her flight control gloves and crossing her arms.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/15/2014, 4:47 am

"Well, it sounds rather grim, but I bet that you've not really looked into Mortuary Sciences, have you?" Drizzt managed a smile, but then dropped it fairly quickly. His smile had been described as ghoulish before. He did however, take the time to stand up.

((sorry it sucks...))

Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/15/2014, 4:58 am

Moreton wave  Tumblr_inline_n7xz3zdYdI1s18iu9
    "Mortuary sciences? You mean embalming, restoration and such? If yes, I have heard about it, but haven't looked into it. If however you mean the branch relating to physiology, pathology and anatomy, then I know more about it than you might think, I've been working on biology and genetics recently."
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/15/2014, 5:09 am

"Embalming, and their various subcultures, yes. My mother's Makaria, so it makes sense I look into that. Leastways, it makes sense to me." Drizzt looked down, suddenly embarrassed. "So, you've been studying a lot of sciences, huh?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/15/2014, 5:43 am

"Oh, Makaria," Victoria stated. Blessed death. Now she started to understand his skin color. "A lot of science? As many as I could get my hands on, as long as I deemed them useful, and scientifically acceptable." Yes, I'm looking at you biodynamic agriculture. "Mainly mathematics, oceanography, astrophysics, biology, quantum physics, nuclear sciences, molecular sciences, compared planetology and Earth sciences (everything that encompasses geology, hydrology, climatology, meteorology, geodesy, petrology, geochemistry, edaphology, pedology, geomorphology, stratigraphy, paleontology, structural and engineering geology....). I read every book I can get on those."
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/15/2014, 5:57 am

"I see." He had been mildly thrown off by her mini rant of all the sciences she liked, but hey. It was new and interesting, and he was being included in it, as opposed to getting the "No Walking Dead Extras" treatment. He was actually a little bit excited inside, but he didn't show it. Last he checked, smiles didn't look good on his face. "So... Maybe sometime we could have a scientific discussion?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/15/2014, 6:15 am

"About what?" Victoria immediately asked.

She was always up for scientific discussions and philosophical debates, but she had most of the time quickly realized the person she was talking with in most cases was a sophist. They just tried to look intelligent when throwing out facts and replying to her, but that was precisely the flaw: they didn't listen to understand, they listened to reply. Jason, Benjamin and her father were easily among the only persons she had encountered who didn't act that way.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/15/2014, 7:01 am

"I'm not entirely sure, I'll be honest, but maybe we can see where some places of my area of expertise can help you with your work. in fact... idea. I have had plenty of practice working on cadavers, which has given me pretty steady hands. I'm aware that this may be pushing it, as we just met, but put this idea on the backburner. Maybe I can help with one of your experiments sometime?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/15/2014, 2:03 pm

"If my experiments deal with cadavers and I encounter a problem, I'll be sure to call you," Victoria replied. "I have never worked with cadavers before. Apart of course the two times in biology when we had to dissect frogs and mouses."

She remembered how most girls of her class would screw up their carefully made up faces in disgust and make comments about how icky it was while the boys chased each other with frog limbs across the room when the teacher wasn't watching. She had thought people would be more... mature, especially in the high-ranked lycée St-Gènes, which she had been attending since last year, after her Brevet (she had skipped tenth grade). At least she wasn't at Sévigné anymore, with her cousins. She had had better experiences in her life than being in a class with her cousin Vianney.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/15/2014, 4:13 pm

"You might be surprised, but I have found instances that knowledge of how to treat the deceased can be used in way that are less grim." He pulled out a small, black object that resembled a spoon, and then it expanded into a full sized shovel. And while it shifted, he displayed no real effort in holding it. "See this hand? months of preparing bodies let me have a surgical precision, useful anywhere."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/16/2014, 1:19 am

Victoria's eyes lightened up. Surgical precision? Could.... could this actually be possible? These past four months she had worked with medicine and genetics, she had made precise diagrams on how to possibly alter her body to make it more efficient -- no, not through steroids, Captain -- but had lacked the physical capability of doing it on herself. Could he possibly....?

"What exactly could you do with such surgical precision?" Vic asked, squinting in the sunlight whilst thinking about carbon nanotubes, another coating for her overboard or her armor.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/27/2024, 5:23 am