A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

2 posters

Moreton wave

Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male
    Number of posts : 1923
    Registration date : 2010-11-19

Moreton wave  - Page 2 Empty Re: Moreton wave

Post by Theseus12 7/16/2014, 4:41 pm

"Well, one could do plenty in the morgue. removing a bullet from a heart without so much as slightly tearing the heart further than already damaged takes skill. If I hadn't been raised by a dad who owned a Mortuary, I could be a miracle doctor, if you could get past the skin...."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Post by Morgan Landry 7/17/2014, 8:26 am

"So for example," Victoria said with growing enthusiasm, "if I asked you to say, coat a living muscle in an organic sheath without damaging it or severing the muscle, you could do it?"

If he said yes, this would truly be a giant step in Victoria's latest researches and projects about nanobiotechnology. If she had at hand a miracle doctor like this one claimed to be who could perform one or two surges she perhaps couldn't do... that.. that would be the best thing that had happened to her this month.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/17/2014, 12:29 pm

"To be blunt, I worked in a morgue. The flesh I worked was rather dead. As far as living flesh goes, I actually never tried. But I'm fairly confident in my abilities to say that the muscle would not be severed, and any damage would be fairly minimal, though I can't guarantee low pain. I never could ask the corpses if it hurt. You know?" Drizzt's mouth curled at the corner in a ghost of a smile at his poor joke. He figured the joke would fall dead.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/17/2014, 12:36 pm

"Leave the pain to narcotics and analgesics," Victoria replied. "What would the muscle damage be, precisely?

She needed a guarantee, a sure thing that her muscles wouldn't be damaged... totally at least. She wouldn't give up any muscle in her body, though if she succeeded... the results could be fascinating. She'd try on her, of course. She'd be her own lab dog, like she had been ever since she could hold a beaker. Her mind calculated the risks, the different types of damages she could think of off the top of her head, but quickly her ADHD took over and she tossed the ideas away. She was supposed to live dangerously. She just had to plan everything out and it would work out fine.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/17/2014, 12:57 pm

"It wouldn't be too severe, I am... fairly sure. You would still have full access to your arm as normal, though you may suffer some discomfort at the use of your arm at all. even then, with experimental technology, one would want to refrain from painkillers after the surgery so you can find if some of the pain is from the muscle or the device. but really, the pain would from be the muscle getting slightly scraped. You can't graft something to living tissue without some damage on the graft site. So the outside of the muscle will be damaged when all is said and done."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/18/2014, 2:17 am

"All I know from surgery comes from books and dissections," Victoria said. "In how far would the graft be damaged though?"

It'd be a pity if the mono filaments got scraped; they couldn't provide the regeneration and healing of the wound if they were so much as scratched.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/19/2014, 2:19 am

((Ever lost a nice, good reply, and found you couldn't do it again? that's what this is. sorry.))

Drizzt was concerned that she was more concerned with the project than with her own safety, but he didn't address it with her. "There should be no damage to the equipment. Your army I wouldn't be so sure of though."

((I am not proud of this post))
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/19/2014, 6:28 am

"Could I still use it?" Victoria asked.

Her mind started wondering about some kind of regenerative particles.... like a fullerine, which would constantly bring nutrition and oxygen to the body, maintaining it alive.... It had to be more than just a breathing mask, though, if she wanted her body to be undamaged and only have the advantages of the surgery.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/20/2014, 11:07 am

"You could, yes, but I foresee a lot of pain doing so, and the pain would have to be endured so that, when the muscles do heal, you will know whether or not some of the pain would come from the graft, because the equipment being slightly in need of improvements. But yes, you would be able to use it." Drizzt's hand went to his pocket, and pulled out his shovel, still the size of a spoon, idly playing with it with his fingers.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/20/2014, 1:21 pm

Physical pain, Victoria could endure it. She considered herself an intellectual creature (which she was, having been born of the thoughts of Athena and her father), and thus saw her body as a mean to interact with the physical world. At eight, she had started to hate her body and hadn't paid attention to it, allowing herself to fall sick and not just not caring about it. Later on, though, she had matured and learned to live by the principle mens sana in corpore sano. Some pain? As long as her mind was alright, she didn't see any problem.

"Come with me," she told Drizzt. "I'd like to show you something."

With a twist of her legs, she made her board go sideways and hover at a steady walking-pace over the ground towards the cabins.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/20/2014, 3:09 pm

Drizzt followed. "Allow me to get changed when we get to the cabins." When they arrived, he ducked into his cabin, and got changed. Black jeans, shirt, socks and leather shoes, with a leather trenchcoat going down to mid calf. With his red eyes, gray skin, and ever serious expression, in spite of his age, the fourteen year old looked for all the world like a dark angel of the dead. The shovel, full sized, in his hand only helped give him the appearance that he was ready to raise the graves of a thousand warriors. "So. Where to?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/22/2014, 6:14 am

"In here," Victoria jerked her chin to the Athena cabin and jumped off her board. "Size two," she told it, and it shrunk to the size of a kindle, which she tucked under her arm.

Once in the Athena cabin, she went to the far end of the room and crouched down next to her bunk bed. Removing her trunk, she revealed a lever, which she took in one hand. The sensors recognized her fingerprints as another scanned her eye, after what she tapped her code on a digital keyboard. The lever vibrated briefly in her hand and she pulled it up. A kind of trap door opened, and Victoria stepped down the stairs into her private room, the cold stone walls refreshing after outside's heat.

The walls were lined with shelves, each one labelled and filled with carefully classified books and inventions. A lab bench stood at the far end of the room, right next to the shelf containing beakers, solutions, burets, a toned-up Bunsen burner, crucible tongs, erlenmeyer flasks, pipets, bulbs and other chemistry equipment. The other end of the room was furnished with a large desk supporting two computers facing a wall screen (shut down for the moment).
    But most of the space was filled with her inventions, prototypes and miniatures. There was her 3D omniprinter, her smart lenses which were calmly pulsing in a glass of cleaning solution, her skinspray prototype in a pressurized bottle, .....

She walked over to a part of the wall, and pulled aside a camouflage curtain, where she left her hoverboard before coming back.

"This is what I wanted to show you," she stated, opening a drawer at the foot of a shelf and retrieving a canister magnetized at each end, filled with translucent goo.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/22/2014, 8:20 pm

Drizzt followed her, and when they got to the underground room, his hand went unconsciously to the scythe folded up in his chest. underground stone rooms always reminded him of tombs. What was more, he seemed to make any underground rooms feel like tombs to anyone in the immediate vicinity as himself. Maybe because he didn't radiate death, so much as he radiated the peace that came afterward, the peace of graves, of mausoleums, crypts, and tombs. Yeah, and the fact he looked like a corpse always tended to freak people out. Gave people the idea that there was a zombie in there, a fact that always bothered him. Victoria held out what she wanted to show him. ".... goo? This is what you wanted grafted to your arm? I freely admit, I'm curious. What is it supposed to do?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/23/2014, 3:54 am

"No," Victoria said in a clear voice, putting the heavy canister on the lab bench. "What you're looking at are nanobots in their water/saline solution." Of course, they couldn't be seen, considering they measured between six hundred nanometres and fifty microns. "I've designed them to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the body, maintaining the vascular tissues alive and preventing hemorrhage. I've made them specially for surgery purposes."
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/23/2014, 7:30 pm

"I see," Drizzt said. "Well, technically I can't, as they are nano sized, but you know what I mean.... So, this stuff will keep your arm from suffering extra damage during the surgery? What are you planning on grafting, anyways?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/24/2014, 10:48 am

"I'm planning on sheathing my muscles with self-repairing monofilaments," Victoria replied, "and after that I plan on grinding away some of my skin to replace it with new, faster-healing grafts." She looked at the heavy canister on the table and passed a finger on it. "Of course, I will do it on small parts of my body first; my ankles for example. These grafts are for the sole purpose of experimentation, and I don't feel like using a lab rat. I never have, in fact."
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/24/2014, 12:35 pm

Drizzt listened carefully as Victoria explained what she intended to do, and addressed each concern or issue he may have had as they were presented;

Self healing Monofilaments. "Will the filaments be healing themselves, the muscle they coat, or both?"

grinding away bits of her own skin. "You would just calmly sit there as your flesh is torn off your body?" he marveled. "You are both braver and tougher than I. I try and avoid obtaining damage. You know?"

No inclination to use a lab rat. "You would rather you be the lab rat then? Sounds like a lot of risk. Imagine if it was fatal. I'd hate to have to perform burial rites for you..."

"But enough of this. Where do we begin? Surely you've already calculated all risks, and are still willing to press forward."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/24/2014, 4:54 pm

"The monofilaments would heal both muscle and self damage," Victoria informed him. "I busted them up with special nanobots I designed to surpass natural, bodily patelets and white blood cells by twenty-five percent, which would (if my calculations are right and if I didn't mess up on the nanobots) significantly accelerate the speed of hemostasis, inflammation, proliferation and remodeling. As for the skin graft, I'd use small anesthetics so the pain won't distract me from my job." She breathed out louder than normal and looked at Drizzt. Finally somebody who didn't say Whoooah calm down, have you thought about this?, but realized that yes, she had thought about it and estimated the danger. "You want to give it a shot now?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/25/2014, 4:17 pm

Drizzt felt he could trust her judgement on this, but felt obliged to make one small disclaimer. "I can't gauruntee a lack of pain. After all, everyone I've worked on so far has not had an ounce of brain activity among them, and therefore couldn't tell me if it hurt." He paused, looking Victoria. "I trust your judgement on your calculations, but I ask your forgiveness for when this hurts. I'm not used to living tissue."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/26/2014, 1:33 pm

Victoria looked up (he was taller than her by a couple of inches). "I said I'd use anesthetics for the pain, so it wouldn't distract me from my job. Local anesthetics, to numb the limb."

She looked at the canister containing the nanobots, wishing she had a whole tank of those. The magnetized ends would keep them together when she'd put her arm in it for the operation (or any other limb), preventing the goo from sluggishly moving out.
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/28/2014, 6:20 pm

"Anesthetics would most certainly help," Drizzt concurred. Then, "So, where do you sit, where do I sit? And would I be incorrect in assuming you already have the tools for this surgery?" Drizzt was serious about this. Victoria certainly seemed to be serious about it, why shouldn't he? After all, they were talking removing bits of skin like clothing, and putting grafts on. If she expected him to use his shovel or scythe, she was mistaken. Stygian Iron ignored anesthetics on the pain department because they wounded not just flesh, but spirit as well. Drizzt went to the sink, and washed his hands, a must whether you were working with living or dead flesh.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/29/2014, 12:25 pm

"I have printed the tools, yes," Victoria replied, dusting her knee. "I just have to do two last things on both the skin grafts and the mono filaments, then I can start the surge. For the skin grafts, it will be pretty easy so I won't need your help. It will basically be grinding the skin away then spray new grafts on it, grafts that I've grown in Petri dishes from my own cells. Put them in a pressurized bottle." She gestured at the spray. "It's for the mono filaments I'll need your help."
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 7/29/2014, 1:03 pm

"Printed? I'm sorry, I've not heard that term outside of copy machine products. You'll have to explain further." At the other stuff, he didn't entirely understand, but he understood enough. "I'll just sit here and wait for when I am needed, then."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 7/30/2014, 12:38 pm

"I'm talking about copy machine products." She gestured to a knee-high rectangular object sitting imposingly in one of the shelves. "Let me introduce you to my 3D omniprinter. As the name indicates, it can print a wide array of matters including metal; I use it to print half the stuff I need for my inventions."
    Theseus12
    Theseus12

Male

Post by Theseus12 8/4/2014, 10:50 pm

A three dimensional printer. Of course. Drizzt mentally slapped himself with this knowledge How could he have forgotten about such technology? Oh right, because it was fairly obscure and wasn't normally the kind of tool needed in a morgue. That made sense. He sat down on a bench. "I'll just be here waiting to learn what to do." Drizzt said patiently.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 5/9/2024, 2:21 pm