A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

2 posters

Galena Vroom, Daughter of Athena

Kwacken
    Kwacken

Female
    Number of posts : 2302
    Registration date : 2014-12-31

Galena Vroom, Daughter of Athena Empty Galena Vroom, Daughter of Athena

Post by Kwacken 1/22/2015, 5:14 pm

Name: Galena Vroom
    Eyes: Grey
    Hair: Blonde
    Height: 5'4
    Body Type: A little chunky
    Skin Color: Pale white
    God Parent: Athena
    Mortal Parent: Bishop George Mayhoff, Diocese of Albany, New York
    Country of Origin: USA
    Pets: Currently none
    Talents:
    * Very intelligent
    * Able to remember interesting things and conversations with great accuracy
    * Writing
    * Getting out of "secured" buildings, enclosures, the occasional restraint.
    * Lock picking

Weapon**:
    Celestial bronze knife, but she's not really good with it. She's thinking she might try a bow and arrow, or something, she hasn't found her niche yet.

Personality:

Galena is an interesting case. She's highly intelligent, but not highly motivated, which is a wonderful combination to make a troublemaker. At the same time, she's not really a troublemaker in the sense that she doesn't go looking for trouble, most of the time. She's just bored, and in an existential crisis, and willing to do whatever her impulses please her.

She was raised by a variety of different foster homes, some good, some bad, some abusive. The only constant in her life aside from bouncing place to place was Father George, a Bishop, the man who found her. He taught her a lot of things, about religions and history, about science and politics. She loved Father George like a father, and often when running away would run to him. Because of him, she was deeply religious, or at least moderately religious, believing in God and Christ and the Pope and everything. She had all the patron saints memorized by age 12. Unfortunately, now, she doesn't know what to believe and cannot reconcile her faith and the fact that she is a child of a goddess. She feels horribly conflicted over the entire thing, and cannot describe her thoughts on the matter.

Galena is socially awkward, she doesn't really know entirely how to "fit in", but she wants to. She wants to be loved, and appreciated, admired and respected. She loves attention on her, good or bad. Sometimes she will over talk or be too quiet, say something inappropriate, but she just wants to be normal. As normal as anyone can be.

Flaws:
    * Can be very socially awkward
    * Has mild OCD, particularly involving obsessions over guilt and religiously significant numbers(3,7,12).
    * Is currently overweight, but losing it.
    * Cannot stand locked doors. Or feeling like she isn't free.

Abilities (must relate to god parent; optional): Has an IQ of 186. And a very good memory.
    Powers (must relate to god parent; optional): None.
    Life Before Camp*:

Athena loves smart men and Bishop George Mayhoff is a very smart man. Though bound by an oath of celibacy, George allowed himself to get emotionally close to Athena, whom he thought a mortal. One would think that would be safe enough, no sexual relations, just emotional closeness born from a mutual love of all things stimulating intelligence.

It was not safe enough. A few months after they broke off, a small baby girl was deposited on his porch with a letter explaining what happened(hello brainchild), who Athena was, and should anything strange occur, send her to Camp Half-Blood. George may have had a nervous breakdown and a short sabbatical from his duties shortly thereafter, but he wasn't stupid. He never claimed the child as his own, he wasn't entirely convinced the letter wasn't an elaborate prank. Instead, he turned the kid over to the hospital and child services. One request he made was that the child be named Galena, meaning intelligence.

Galena's surname was chosen by hospital staff. She was placed in a foster home and taken care of. For years her foster parents, Michael and Delores Compton, took wonderful care of her. They were older, but very caring, and able to provide what the young girl needed. Roman Catholic, they went to mass regularly, and they appreciated the visits from Father George.

Galena's life took a turn for the worse when she was seven, Delores fell and broke her hip. When Delores fell, Michael raced home from work at ridiculous speeds and got into a car accident. He lived, but lost his right leg above the knee. As much as it pained them to do so, the Comptons had no choice but to return Galena back to the care of Child Services.

Every foster home after that was a disaster in Galena's mind. Even the ones that objectively weren't. She bounced from foster home to foster home, running away from several, until she ended up in the Berkshire Group Home at the age of 12. Berkshire wasn't too bad, but very strict, and Galena wasn't fond of strict. She had already taught herself how to pick locks of all sorts to get out of buildings when she needed to, or wanted to, the Berkshire Group Home wasn't exactly a challenge. So after three months at Berkshire, she ran away, again. This time to be caught by police before making it to Father George.

It was suppose to be 30 days in a secured detention facility and back to Berkshire, but due to a few fights and a few other incidents, Galena spent over a year in the secured facility. Then back to Berkshire. For two years, Galena tried her hardest to behave. She hated behaving. She just wanted to be free from everything. Then the violence in her group home got bad, she was bullied more than she could handle, and she left.

A fat kid in the Berkshire mountains does not bode well. Luckily for her, this was right after the whole "Claim everyone" promise, and Satyrs were out in force. She was found by a satyr just in time to be rescued from a hydra, because she wasn't going to fight it, she was just convinced she was insane.

The Satyr, Fitz, took her to Camp Half-Blood, where everything was explained to her. She had a mental breakdown at first, not talking to anyone for three days. She was over the age to be claimed, and no one had claimed her. When she finally started talking again, her first action was to iris message her only friend, Father George and try to find details about her birth. Father George explained everything, but he kept saying over and over again that he was certain it had been a hoax. That he had convinced himself it was a hoax.

Now Galena lives at Camp Half-Blood. She knows who her parents are. And she's utterly unsure of everything. She can't blame her parents, either of them, but she wants to. Even after a year, she wants to find someone to blame for everything.

RP Example*:

Galena hugged herself uncertainly, unable to fully think straight. She felt so overwhelmed. She had felt overwhelmed since she came here, since the goat-guy had saved her. Chiron had been nice, and the loud-shirt wearing Mr.D had done something to help her think again. Three days. Three days to be able to think at all, and now all she could do was think.

Chiron had told her how to make the call, given her a drachma to do it. She held the gold coin uncertainly, then threw it at the misty rainbow. "Iris, goddess of the rainbow, accept my offering, show me George Mayhoff." Her voice was cracked and rough, she hated herself for saying those words.

Father George was in his office and literally fell out of his chair when he looked up. "What?! What is..?! G-Galena? H-how are you? This?!"

"Tell me about my birth, Father. You're the only one who can explain things. Tell me about how you found me. Greek gods and all." Galena said, her voice cold and angry, but also plaintive and lost. Her grey eyes portrayed the lost nature of her soul more.

Father George slowly stood up, his face and hands as white as his collar. "I, uh, well, I..." He paused, then reached under his desk and grabbed a bottle of liquor, pouring two fingers worth into a glass. He downed it all before saying anything else. "I always thought, I always told myself, that it was a prank. A hoax. It wasn't true, couldn't be true, those were all myths."

He sighed and rubbed his greying goatee. "I loved your mother as much as the church. She was more intelligent than anyone I had ever known, and you do favor her in that regard. I was sworn to celibacy, and we never...we never did anything. But after she left, you appeared, a letter with you, claiming that I was the father. It said you were born of our thoughts, the most pure love, and that your mother was Athena, the Greek goddess of war and wisdom. It was preposterous. Insane. And yet, I felt it was true, but I couldn't... I took you to the hospital and then took a sabbatical. I convinced myself this wasn't real, how could it be?"

"Then why keep track of me?" Galena asked, a single tear streaming down her face. "You cared for me."

"Because I love you, Galena. Like a daughter...like my daughter. I'm sorry. I...I have no words." The priest put his hand up and slashed through the mist, destroying the connection. Galena's brave face broke along with her resolve to keep things together. She started to sob, unable to reconcile everything in her mind. Her love for Father George, her faith, her life, and then this. All this.

Any notes about your characters:
    Belle
    Belle

Female
    Number of posts : 1431
    Registration date : 2013-05-28

Galena Vroom, Daughter of Athena Empty Re: Galena Vroom, Daughter of Athena

Post by Belle 1/23/2015, 11:24 am

Very nice character!

Unless anyone else says otherwise. Galena is Approved :)

Current date/time is 5/19/2024, 8:33 am