A place for Percy Jackson and the Olympian fans to roleplay.

3 posters

This land is Roman! (Open)

Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female
    Number of posts : 1696
    Registration date : 2014-07-20

This land is Roman! (Open) Empty This land is Roman! (Open)

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/8/2015, 2:42 pm

Cassandra Issabell daughter of Victoria stood by the entrance that once open led to a long, if rather boring tunnel. Here she had arranged or rather had been arranged for her to meet one of her new comrades for a full tour of the camp. As well as someone who knew about Camp Jupiter. Cassandra or Cassie didn't cut an impressive figure, slender, five foot two in height her skin bronzed by the hot Mediterranean sun. Her long black hair curled around her neck before falling down to her shoulders, cascading like a waterfall of black locks. Her green eyes looked around partly intrigued by it all, but severely bored by the wait.
    Cassie's mind raced with the numerous questions that she wished to ask her tour guide, the most pressing of which would be where was the temple located? As Cassandra happened to be rather pious in nature, worshipping the gods being a matter of the most vital importance to her. A Roman Camp surprised her greatly that had been no lie, it was a pity that it had little to do with Thrace, for Cassandra had particularly been interested in Ancient Thrace so her knowledge would have been rather useful. Here, knowledge on what had been a Roman enemy, (even if they lost) wouldn't be to useful.

Unless they had to fight undead Thracians? Then she would be at an advantage in at least knowing the tactics they might employ in battle. She sighed quietly, the sun's warm raise making her feel uncomfortably warm. She wore a purple camp Jupiter t-shirt, the shirt was two sizes to big for her, a pair of worn jeans and some faded grey trainers. Not exactly a Roman uniform but it was comfortable, which was more than could be said of the sleeping quarters here.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female
    Number of posts : 15906
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

This land is Roman! (Open) Empty Re: This land is Roman! (Open)

Post by Morgan Landry 1/8/2015, 4:50 pm

It was almost the end of her shift. Laure had been on guard duty with Samuel, the son of Ceres for the past two hours and a half. Normally she'd have really flirted with him but she had a huge crush on Richard already. Still, she fired some harmless flirts here and there, just to have fun, until a movement at the side of the road caught her eye. It was a young girl, with bronze skin and black ringlets, making her way towards the Caldecott tunnel. Laure saw at her wolven green eyes that she was a Roman demigod, probably freshly arrived from the Wolf House.

"Look!"

The girl made a run for it, slaloming between the cars until she arrived safely at the entrance to Camp Jupiter.

"Ave!" Laure said, raising her arm in the Roman salute, which was a bit menacing because of the spear she held in her hand. Both Samuel and her were dressed in Camp Jupiter tees and jeans -- pretty white denim for her, baggy black for him -- and imperial gold armors, their big rectangular shields at their side. "The entrance to Camp Jupiter is behind us, just open the door and follow the tunnel," she told her.

A few moments later, another guy in glowing golden legionnaire armor and modern clothes came out -- the next shift guy. Laure greeted him then slipped away into the tunnel, quickly catching up with the new girl.

"Hey," she said, her wavy blonde hair cascading down her shoulders as she took her helmet off, carrying both shield and spear in one hand for a second. "I'm Laure Dornois, 2nd Cohort, 3rd centuria. If you want I can show you around before troop review."

Last edited by Morgan Landry on 1/9/2015, 10:09 am; edited 2 times in total
    Astrid Hill
    Astrid Hill

Female
    Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2014-12-12

Post by Astrid Hill 1/8/2015, 6:10 pm

Astrid walks in after she had been on another Hunt. Looking around she smiles, "Gods Ive missed this place." She then hears someone shouting. She then turns, "Who me?" She then noticed a different girl and realized it wasn't her she was talking about she shrugged and continued to wander around reminiscing about the past while her owl Pidget flew up into one of the trees to get some rest.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/8/2015, 6:31 pm

OOC: Hey Astrid :) please post in the RP area with your character after she is approved.
    Astrid Hill
    Astrid Hill

Female
    Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2014-12-12

Post by Astrid Hill 1/8/2015, 6:39 pm

Alright. You've caught a user
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/9/2015, 10:43 am

Cassandra looked the other girl up and down, her armour looked pretty wick even though she herself preferred to wear little. It slowed her down. "I'm Cassandra and I have no idea what you are on about." She introduced herself before adding a bit of honest information. "Do you have a temple here?" It was the burning question, Cassie being quite pious wanted to ensure that there happened to be a place of worship available.
    As to how pious she actually was her Roman brethren as of yet possessed no clue.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/9/2015, 10:46 am

"Oh, whoops, my bad," Laure smiled. "I'll explain on the way. And yes we do have a temple -- actually, a whole hill of them. Temple to Jupiter Optimus Maximus, temple to Bellona, temple to Neptune..."

She smiled at the girl again, brushing a blonde curl behind her ear. Laure had mascara and purple eyeliner to underline her violet-blue eyes, her lips shiny with nude gloss. "You're just arriving from the Wolf House, I take it?" she asked as they walked down the modern tunnel until the overhead neons got replaced by blazing bamboo torches on both walls.
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/9/2015, 10:52 am

"Good good." She sounded pleased by the fact that they had many temples, where she could make offerings to the gods and observe the various religious festivals. On the days of those festivals, to Cassandra it was paramount importance that she didn't fight but celebrate them. "Yeah big place full of wolves and loud people." Came the reply, so this place would be her home?
    It better not be too dull.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/9/2015, 4:14 pm

"Yeah we have loud people here too," Laure chuckled as the tunnel opened to show the valley. The golden hills of Berkeley spread out around them and right there in the valley stood a Roman camp like those you see in your history books, with walls and ditches and barracks, streets, gates, a main plaza... It was defended and equipped with catapults, onagres, siege towers, ballistae, water cannons, everything. "That's Camp Jupiter," Laure smiled, pointing at the camp. "See that river? It's the Little Tiber, it's not deep but it flows with power and yeah, you shouldn't swim in it too much unless you're the daughter of a water god."

Behind it was New Rome: flawless buildings made out of precious marbles, golden domes, a Forum, a Colosseum, villas and palaces, gardens bursting with flowers...
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/9/2015, 4:22 pm

Instead of being breathless all that came out of Cassandra's mouth was a rather dismissive. "You couldn't have made it look like Thrace or Sparta? Those places always looked so cool in the books." To be honest ancient Rome bored her to tears, perhaps that may have been because well if she was Roman she may have felt like she would not have needed to learn it.
    "What's the food situation like around here cap?" Cassie inquired folding her arms and coming to a halt to look at her companion. "Swimming is out of the question but do you guys have a bathhouse? Because those do look pretty wick, almost as wick as a Thracian sword."
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/11/2015, 10:04 am

Is this girl actually Roman? Laure thought. "Well I don't exactly see why a Roman camp should look like a Greek one," she replied. "It's not made to look "cool", it's made to protect and fight."

They started walking down the paths towards the Little Tiber, a bit of forest stretching out to their right, bringing aromas of pine and eucalyptus to their noses. "Food situation is great. We have a Mess Hall in which you lay down on couches, like in ancient Roman times; the food is brought by aurai, breeze nymphs, so you gotta be careful where you step. Food kind of flies around to their destination." She put her spear in her other hand, placing her golden helmet back on her head. "And for the baths, we do have some, exactly like in Ancient Rome, with a caldarium, frigidarium, everything. You should probably go there before troop review -- that's when you'll get assigned to your Cohort."
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/11/2015, 10:22 am

"If you intimidate your foe you've already won half the battle." She chirped in response. "Glad to hear the food is good even if it flies... As for a bath one would be greatly appreciated." She then added. "Thank you." But it appeared to be almost an after thought. "So cap do you use your spear often?" It was a fair question, genuine even if her tone sounded like she did not really care. Perhaps Cassandra didn't, maybe she was here because of stubborn pride or simply because she felt like she didn't belong any where else.
    "I'm not that bad a fighter, got kicked out a school for it, probably not as good as one of your Legionnaires but I might be able to hold my own against a Gladiator assuming you still do those sorts of sports?" Cassandra added a second question not giving her guide much time to respond to the first. The thirteen year old didn't look very Roman, save for her skin being bronzed by the Mediterranean sun, she easily could have passed off as a tourist in Rome, Athens or Malta. Yet she had Roman blood in her, even if she held little interest in Rome itself, New Rome she would admit was a curious thing.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/11/2015, 11:56 am

"I use my spear every day, for lessons, patrols, guard duties, and Legion reviews," she replied. "The pilum is essential for a Roman legionnaire."

They neared a white stone bridge which they crossed, stepping over the glass clear river. Looking up, Laure saw the guards, two in each watchtower, ready to fire with their ballistae at any threat that'd pop up. "Yes, we still have those. Gladiator games take place in the Coliseum of New Rome, chariot races in the Circus Maximus, war games and deathball in the Fields of Mars." They passed through the Decumarian gate into the Via Praetoria, which was trimmed with shops and stores. Aromas of coffee and fresh muffins came from the bakery of Bimbolo, the two-headed guy, but most shops sold weapons and armor, one even had a special price on a glistening chariot. "We pay with denarii here," Laure explained, ducking to elude a guy flying above her head on a giant eagle. "You get denarii each month for your service." She smiled and waved at her friends as she walked between the barracks, explaining the Cohort system: five Cohorts, four barracks per Cohort, ten soldiers per barrack.
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/11/2015, 1:18 pm

"Isn't the pilum a javelin? The soft metal tip makes it ill suited to be used as a spear however as a throwing weapon it is perfect as it bends in the enemy meaning they can't throw it back." She inquired but also explained. Cassandra nodded, the place looked depressingly like ancient Rome, well the places from ancient history she did like at some point ended up under Roman domination. Better suck up to the idea of this place being home because like it or not, it would be. Cassandra eyed the weapons eagerly, her eyes lighting up seeing them. Evidently swords appealed to her far more than spears and Roman Scorpio (Ballista). The guy flying on an eagle caught her attention for a brief moment but it soon vanished as she cast a longing look back at the swords. "Right I will have to stop you there." Cassandra said as she explained the cohort system. "Sorry.. I do not understand all of this, it is a bit much..." She looked generally tired. "I don't suppose there is a place where we could drink? And sit down for a period before you continue your explanation?"
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/12/2015, 9:30 am

"You will learn all the uses and techniques of the pila in our lessons," Laure said, not liking how this girl talked to her as if she was her superior, explaining how a pilum worked when she had been handling pila for years, as if she knew better. Yet she stayed friendly and cheerful, not letting her slight irritation show. "Sit down? Why no, troop review's in twenty minutes and you need to get a bath first, change clothes, etc. Plus, I need to get you to the augur to see if we can accept you in the Legion. Grab a coffee if you want, but we have a schedule to stick to."
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/12/2015, 9:44 am

"I'm no legionnaire, auxiliary maybe but why do I need to be at this troop review? Surely a general or a centurion would prefer it if I arrived afterwards?" She questioned, mostly objecting to it because she wanted a drink more than she wanted to play soldier, but most of all Cassandra desired to pray to the gods, for what she wasn't quite sure but it felt like it would be a good idea. She let out a heavy sigh, giving up on her questions, go deal with this Roman nonsense then head to the temples then... Do whatever else needed to be done then.
    "Fine... Let's go get a bath and head to this troop review then see this A Guy you mentioned to see if I will be accepted or not into your Legion, cohort, platoon things." She seemed to suddenly change her tone from one of rebellion to weary agreement, most of which was because she knew arguing would be a pointless task, Romans loved their schedules and organisation. Both of which bored her to tears in classes, the battles were far more interesting, the conquest of Gaul, Spain, the Carthaginian Wars (best not mention Carthage round these people), the battles against Thrace, the wars against Macedon were but a few of the interesting conflicts that captured her mind.

Victories captured her mind, Roman victories captured her mind, she held no place in her heart for the organisation of Rome, it's political system, the layout of it's roads and buildings, victories mattered far more to her than such pointless matters. Being the daughter of the Roman Goddess of Victory it made sense in a way that victories would matter more to her than anything else.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/12/2015, 11:45 am

"I'll first take you to the augur, on the temple hill," she said. "If you're not accepted in the Legion, if the omens aren't favorable, then I'll have to take you to Reyna, our praetor -- she'll decide what to do with you. You will probably be kicked out. But that barely happens nowadays, every recruit is a good recruit so you shouldn't be worried," Laure smiled as they crossed the Via Principalis, heading to the Praetorian gate.
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/12/2015, 12:00 pm

"What with the Roman Empire being largely relegated to the history books I imagine you do." Came the reply as she follow, this wasn't meant as an insult only something that made sense. "I'm not worried as long as you don't make me an archer." Cassandra held a great dislike for ranged combat and much scorn for those who preferred to fight with bow, or sling or javelin. A warrior's place was on the front lines, with sword in hand, where the blood flowed hot onto the earth, not hiding at the back like some craven.
    There was an old saying, 'It is easy to be brave behind a wall.' She deemed it appropriate for those who fought at range. It's easy for one to be brave when you stand at the back.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/12/2015, 12:48 pm

Laure gave her a wolf glare, like she had learned at the Wolf House. "We perpetuate the Roman civilization by fighting monsters and bringing order, we get our orders from Jupiter himself, namely the order to get undercover," she calmly replied. "And we don't appreciate that kind of comments, especially not after all the battles we fought." In which you didn't participate, she wanted to add but didn't. She didn't like arguing.

They went out of the military camp and branched off to the right to the temple hill. Shrines were dotting the place, some old, some brand new, some still under construction. On the very top stood the most imposing temple: made out of pure white marble, domed with gold, it gave off an aura of sheer power. "That's the temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus," she explained. "All recruits go there to be accepted -- or denied."

Laure remembered the first time she had been here -- twelve years old little thing, just coming from the Wolf House, in tattered clothes, broken nails and dirt across her skin. She remembered the pure relief she had felt when the augur -- Octavian at the time -- had accepted her in the Legion.
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/12/2015, 12:55 pm

Cassandra returned the glare with one of her own. "Order is not always good at the expense of freedom." She snapped back at her guide. For a while Cassandra stood silently staring at the temple with large eyes, her eyes shining with delight. "I will go to this temple, find out whether I am fit for the legion or not and pray to the gods." Cassandra wanted to go into the temple, she could almost feel it drawing her in, she desired to enter the sacred ground. "Do I go in now? Because if so for the Gods and Rome." For the first time since she entered the camp, Cassie looked Roman.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/12/2015, 1:05 pm

"In the cases of us demigods, it is better," Laure replied. "And if I were you, I would show a bit more respect towards the orders Jupiter gives us Romans."

She was curious how Cassandra would reply to that -- after all, she gave off a pious vibe. The first thing she had asked Laure was, are there any temples? She seemed like someone who respected the gods.

"Yes, follow me," she told her and scaled up the stairs to the inside of the temple. The floor was set with glistening mosaics, the dome's inside was also of a sparkling gold -- and there towered an enormous marble statue of Jupiter. Right in front of it stood a young man in a toga, chanting in Latin. "Wait a second," she told Cassandra in a hushed voice.
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/12/2015, 1:11 pm

"You did not mention they were given by the Gods!" She looked alarmed, concerned now that her disrespectful behaviour towards the Romans might be taken as disrespect to the gods, so much so she cast a nervous glance at the sky, revealed to see it was still clear. Cassie was very pious, the gods meant a great deal to her, so much so if the omens weren't in favour or if a battle took place on a religious festival she would refuse to fight, completely and utterly.

She followed her ally, friend, Roman, tour guide, boss, cap... She wasn't yet what Laure would be, could they be friends? Perhaps over time they might be able to be, but at the present they hadn't really got along much. She felt breathless as she entered the temple, falling silent and obeying for once without questioning. This place was beautiful, holy, sacred, it seemed almost wrong for her to speak here.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/12/2015, 3:23 pm

"I said they were given by Jupiter," Laure corrected. She waited till the augur was done chanting and stepped forward.

"Hey there," she smiled and he turned around.

"Ave! New recruit I see?" the guy asked.

He was about sixteen, with close-cropped blonde hair and an athletic built.

"Yep. Cassandra, this is our augur. Dylan, this is Cassandra."

"Awesome to meet you," he said, shaking her hand. "So, you want to enter the 12th Legion? Just a second --" he patted his toga as if he was searching for something before turning around -- "there!" He went over to a pile of stuffed animals, chose a stuffed lion, drew a golden knife from his belt and opened the lion's belly, spreading the stuffing on the altar. He chanted in Latin, raising his arms above his head at the statue of Jupiter before putting them back down and examining the stuffing. It took several moments then -- "Good news! You're in!" he said.

"Yay, great job!" Laure smiled at Cassandra, trying to get back on a good vibe with her. She really didn't like arguments. "Thanks, Dylan. Come on, now, let's get you to the baths."

OOC: It's stated nowhere who the new augur is so I made one up. If it's stated in any future books, then I'll edit (if I remember) xD

Last edited by Morgan Landry on 1/12/2015, 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Lindsey Callaghan
    Dedicated Member

Female

Post by Lindsey Callaghan 1/12/2015, 3:30 pm

Cassandra had waited in respectful silence, not responding to Laure, who she suspected seemed to be trying to provoke her. She would not be provoked, least of all on sacred ground. She shook the hand of the augur, he seemed like a nice guy. She smiled and gave a single nod, pleased to hear that she was in the Legion then. "Thank you." Cassie responded first to Dylan.
    "Yes... That is most important." Cassandra replied before whispering to Laure. "I figured you had a Centurion or something called Jupiter not the God." She sounded generally mortified and looked rather concerned that she might have given the gods cause to bring their wrath upon her.
    Morgan Landry
    Morgan Landry
    High Queen of Narnia

Female

Post by Morgan Landry 1/12/2015, 3:55 pm

Laure looked at her. "Nobody here carries the name of a god, except if it is a common name like Victoria or something."

They went back out into the heat of the sun, away from the refreshing cold marble and walked back down the paths. A couple of fauns trotted over to them but Laure waved them away.

"Come on, just a couple denarii!" One of them whined.

"Fauns," she told Cassandra. "Don't pay attention to them, they just beg the whole day."

They went back into the military camp, where Lares and legionnaires walked around, attending their duties or just hanging out in the shaded areas between the barracks, laying in hammocks, playing cards, drinking soda...

"The purple ghosts are Lares," she explained. "They're house divinities."

Finally they arrived at the baths, a big marble building tiled with red out of which you could hear laughter and water noises. A couple of Roman demigods came out of it in shorts, their towels around their necks. "Do you want me to go in with you?" she asked Cassandra.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 4/26/2024, 6:16 am